FS14 Build - Pics, etc.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14 Build - Pics, etc.

Post by Capt UB »

I bought pine lattice strips 16' long and 1 1/2" tall x 1/4" thick at Home Depot.
45.jpg
44.jpg
58.jpg

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

If Jacques is around, please chime in on this: OK, So I finally got back to my FS14 build and in a fit of short time and lack of intelligence, I put on first layer of rubrail with straight epoxy resin mix (no wood flour, just straight epoxy mix) - like i did transom lamination and puzzle joints, instead of gelmagic glue, which i see is suggested. It is on hard and fast, but is this a grave mistake that I should try to remedy somehow? Of course I hope it is not. ugh. and if not, should i put on subsequent layers with gelmagic?
Help...

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

As long as it glued, it's fine. If there is a gap, fill it with more epoxy.
Plain epoxy runs, is difficult to apply as a glue on vertical surfaces, that is why we mix it with some wood flour.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

Thank you Jacques. I had coated both pieces and let get tacky, and then used epoxy that was setting up (slowly) so it didn't run too much - tho it did of course run.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

jacquesmm wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:14 pm As long as it glued, it's fine. If there is a gap, fill it with more epoxy.
Plain epoxy runs, is difficult to apply as a glue on vertical surfaces, that is why we mix it with some wood flour.
Bet this was music to your ears?... Made a mistake on my AD16 and then made a command decision on how to fix it. Was on pins and needles until Jacques chimed in and gave the thumbs up. Glad it is going to work out for you too.

Bogie

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

I guess i have to ask Jacques, to fiberglass over skeg, or not (and just seal with epoxy resin and paint)? I' concerned FB over skeg will just fray and shred.. and I suppose same question for spray rails...

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

I just installed a keel on my FS17 as previous builder had not installed one. I took a clear piece of cypress 1-1/2 by 1-1/2 and then rounded the bottom two edges so fiberglass cloth would lay nicely on top. I then cut out a shallow v-groove in the side which mounts to the bottom so that there was a descent fit to the hull panels. Less wood flour epoxy required when gluing it to the hull. Made large radius fillets with wood flour epoxy at the interface between keel and hull panels. Again this was so fiberglass cloth would lay nicely between hull panels and keel. I actually screwed the keel in place as I was working upside down at the time. Screws could be removed after epoxy set up but I left mine installed.

I then moved the boat outside and flipped it so I could properly finish the keel and bottom.

The next day, sanded the fillets and keel to clean up goobers of wood flour epoxy. Yeah we all make goobers which get cleaned up with sander. Then laid biax tape on each side and let each one overlap at the bottom surface of the keel so there were two layers there. I was amazed how nicely they laid down on each other. Then next day I laid another layer of fiberglass 3 inch tape over the keel. So effectively I have 3 layers of fiberglass at the very bottom of the keel. Yesterday put another layer of epoxy on the keel to fill in some of the weave. Had some resin left over from sharpening the chines.

The whole bottom wetted surface will receive 2 or 3 coats of epoxy graphite after fairing is done.

Yuck- fairing. I hate fairing.

Hope this helps.
Tom in Steinhatchee

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

Oh forgot the mention, the epoxy graphite if harder than nails when finished and make the bottom and keel almost impervious to wear from beaching, etc. We have lots of oyster beds down here so it should be able to take anything you have up in Maine.
Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

Guess I'll FG two strips over skeg. I may also mold some flat (reverse) chines with gelmagic to avoid spray rail. Thots on that?

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

IMG_20180710_092638.jpg
Clips phew
Clips phew
Rubrail
Rubrail
Skeg with gelmagic
Skeg with gelmagic