FS14 Build - Pics, etc.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS14 Build - Pics, etc.

Post by finalfront »

:) thanks Jeff..

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Looks like you are ready for the flip pretty soon! Looks good!

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

Painted sides with wr-lpu.. Gloss shows all the imperfections.. Decided to consider it a learning experience. Fairing & Sanding very tricky stuff.
Painted bottom with Pettit hydrocoat (over the epoxy graphite, after I wet sanded it with 100 Grit then after with 80 Grit).
Looks pretty good. Hope bottom paint sticks well.
About to flip tonight...
IMG_20180926_110611.jpg
IMG_20180926_110718.jpg
IMG_20180926_110644.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work FinalFront!! Jeff

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

So, boat flipped, looks good. I'm preparing to FG the inside.. I had gone all the way up the outside of the hull with 12 oz cloth (kind of a mistake, but should prove to take wear and tear better.).
for the inside, i was planning on following the instructions and go just 6-8" up inside sides. What about the transom.? Should I go all the way to the top (filleting along clamping board edge)? I am using a 20hp about 125 lbs. Extra strength beneficial?
If I do go to top of Transom, do I go over edge/top, or stop at top edge top edge clear wood with epoxy coating?
Any advice is welcome.. Jeff, Jacques?

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

If it were mine, I would glass the transom and seal the top edge.

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

so, my tape job on the inside went very well. rolled on epoxy onto all inside sides and bottom, let get tacky and filleted and then lay tape and wet with roller. perfect. I should mention the temp here is about 62 when I did this. The original coat of epoxy on the wood and now over the tape job is still tacky an hour later, so I went forward with FG cloth. I did not add any more epoxy before I did this. The cloth was tricky to align because so tacky, but i was able to get it aligned and smoothed out by hand. I added what I thought was quite a lot of epoxy by 1/4" nap roller and then over with bubble buster roller in spots that sat up. I had a real hard time getting cloth to absorb epoxy. I should mention it got late and temp dropped to 52 degrees - though I was in garage and door closed, but sure it was at best 55.
I suppose I screwed up with temps so low, because this morning, about 7 hours later, I found a lot of epoxy starved cloth and several bubbles. It was still slightly tacky in places too. I assume temp is the culprit and did not allow heavy cloth to take epoxy.
I had thot about wetting out wood and tape again before I laid cloth, but it seemed that I'd never be able to adjust cloth correctly.
In any case, I did not.. So, The bottom (inside) panels seemed to be about 80% pretty good & I went back and brushed on more epoxy where it appeared starved and hope it will take (but today is raining and about 52). I then cut open the bubbles (all the bubbles were on sides and transom) and filled with epoxy and lay back smooth. Seems the vertical areas were the worst to not take the epoxy originally.
I even had some areas as big as 5" square that didnt even stick to the wood, so I either lifted and re-epoxied under, or patched with new wet-ed cloth.
The corners actually came out the best..
I'll take a couple pics, and post.
Am I screwed on this.. the thought of sanding it down and re-doing cloth is mind-boggling.
Feedback from Jacques would be greatly appreciated.
(PS. I only went up about half of inside transom with cloth - per instructions..

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

IMG_20180930_190635.jpg
IMG_20180930_190645.jpg

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

IMG_20181001_104611.jpg
IMG_20181001_104547.jpg
IMG_20181001_104532.jpg
IMG_20181001_104524.jpg

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

So, I'm back at boat building for a short bit and am installing inside seats and stringers. I remember reading about lowering stringers btwn seats to install sole at slightly lower level. My memory is this can be done to 3"? I want lower it to 3" btwn stern seat and mid-seat (and leave full height within the mid-seat and stern seat compartment,-- but then btwn mid-seat and bow it tapers less than 3" already. Can I cut it down in this area at all?