FS14 from Seattle

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: FS14 from Seattle

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Wow, that's some fast progress, Aug 24 to Aug 31 and you have a boat already. It took me six months to get to this stage, I must be slacking off. Looks great, hope the weather remains good for you.
Alan.

craigyb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by craigyb »

Fair WX Pilot wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:04 pm Wow, that's some fast progress, Aug 24 to Aug 31 and you have a boat already. It took me six months to get to this stage, I must be slacking off. Looks great, hope the weather remains good for you.
Thanks, I'm pretty motivated to get on the water. If it wasn't for the lack of garage I'd probably take more time, I'd much rather be out on the river in my kayak trying to catch salmon in this weather. I pulled the trigger on a new 20hp suzuki, the fact that it's EFI and about 20lbs lighter than everyone else's 20hp appeals to me. I'm hoping to have the rest of the boat together in about a week, I need to figure out a trailer next.

A little less daylight each day.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

You are moving right along. I hope the weather keeps being nice to you.
It will be interesting to see how you like the Suzuki and how it does on the boat.

craigyb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by craigyb »

Port side rub rail is put on. I decided that I don't want to subject my neighbors to sanding dust, so I'd like to move the project down into the yard this weekend, and I'd rather have the rigidity of the rub rail on before I do that than not. I still have one more file and sand for fairing on the outside and plan on getting to the starbord side in the morning. My son and a friend are coming over to help do some work and the moving tomorrow.

On a side note, not having a garage and not wanting to throw up a lot of epoxy dust at both mine and my neighbor's motorcycle, I decided to open the big long black box I've been using in the photos, which contains a whole lot of very long hardened steel files my dad gave me a month ago when he heard I was going to build a boat. He also gave me the orbital sander I've been using. Anyways, grinders with a flapper seem to take down material very quickly but is hard to use. A sander, even with 60 grit, can break it down but won't get a long patch level. A nice long hardened steel file, though, seems to span well past the 'divet' you're filling in with fairing compound and works really nicely without throwing a lot of duff into the air.

I picked up a table saw today after trying to cut out the rub rail with a jigsaw and a skil saw. I have a lot of machine-precise bits of aluminum to use as a fence, but I really wanted to justify a table saw to cut up the large pieces of baltic birch plywood I use for laser engraving. I get it in 2x1 and that's two times as big as my laser machine can take, so it's not frivolous. It also cut rub rail strips out of the waste plywood from the CNC kit very quickly and saved me a lot of time and effort. I have a lot of delrin plates and now I think I can cut them down to machine size and have some branching ideas.

craigyb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by craigyb »

Oh yea. I have a few small paint rollers and wanted to use one as an epoxy spreader for the inside tape and glass. They sell these, but they look just like a roller without the roller on it. I CAD'd up one to go over the roller, it rolls fine, but there's nothing to stop it going off the edge. I could tap the end for an M5 screw, but I think I'll just spread in the direction that doesn't make it walk off.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Really innovative Craig!!! Nice Jeff

craigyb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by craigyb »

My son, his friend, and I got the hull flipped onto my kayak's lander. We glassed the insides and the stringers in a day.

I was impatient and put the frame back in, and ruined the stringer tape near the mid seat a bit. I'll fix it once I go through the last taping, hopefully tomorrow.

The decks aren't glued in yet, I got the battons in today and have a few more to get in tomorrow. I also got a layer of quickfair in on the upper side abd found out i have a system 3 dealer a few miles away. I get my motor tomorrow but I plan on finishing the boat to taste before christening it. I feel like rain will set in later this week so I'll seal all the wood and will keep on working in a popup if I have to.

craigyb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by craigyb »

Inside is almost ready to paint. I'm a first time builder, so I ended up gusseting up every non-visible intersection I could. Everywhere inside the decks and the seat there's a 1" batton gusseting up the split, because I just don't want to second guess whether or not I got everything structurally sound as well as I'd like.
Motor came in.

I've faired a bunch, came to love quickfair, and was ready for final prep before inside paint before the rains set in today.

I went inside, looked at the metric D5 plans, CAD'd them and scaled them 1:10. In the wild event I don't get the fs14 done before it rains hard it'll sit under a tarp and I'll work on something else before Washington lets back up. The 1:10 model came out very nice.

[imghttp://i.imgur.com/QxBrKhm.png?1[/img]

Very efficiently nested D5 example sans seat tops

1:10 model test fit based on sketchy sketchup CAD I did off metic free plans

1:10 model proof fit. I'll probably make it this winter one way or another.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Craig, very well done!! What HP engine are you going to run?? Jeff

craigyb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by craigyb »

The motor for the FS14 is a new Suzuki 20hp. It may be more motor than I need, but I've been eyeballing jet lowers for the motor and while they're spendy, they look fun for river use and would bump power down a bit. I didn't get priming done today but got more fairing in on the interior.

Dad's been following my wooden boat aspirations and found this photo he took near Mt Addams in WA of an old wooden boat and either a steam powered or gasified motor, back when I was a knee high to a knee. I'm not sure what it is, but it was too good not to share.