FS14 from Seattle

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14 from Seattle

Post by VT_Jeff »

Browndog wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:09 am Your insurance company will work with their insurance company
Browndog, is this with the assumption that his boat is insured, or would it come out of the property liability of the at-fault driver. My drift boat is not insured, having trouble getting an ins company to review it.

Craig, that's a tough break. I feel for ya, glad you weren't hurt. Keep your spirits up about it and keep us posted, its a position any one of us could be in any time so plenty of sympathizers here.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

oh man! I feel for ya. As others have said. You are blessed to be safe and healthy. Your boat may be damaged, engine shot and trailer hammered. Those are things that can be fixed or replaced to 100%. A life or a limb cannot. Still stinks, when your head stops spinning you will be thinking about all the new upgrades you will do while she is mounted back on the strongback for repairs! YOU GOT THIS!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Wow! That really sucks! Very sorry you are going through this. That is one beautiful boat!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Well shit! Keep us posted. I'm crying for you. Had a semi miss my boat by an rch a few years ago on the interstate and still get stiff when I think about it. Glad you're safe. The boat can be fixed.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

I am assuming that his auto insurance company will be involved since there is damage to his vehicle. If he also has the trailer insured on his auto insurance that will be handled as well. The boat might be insured separately. Or the other driver’s auto insurance will cover the boat and motor damage depending on what kind of coverage they have.

It gets kind of messy sometimes because the motor, boat and its contents, the trailer and the vehicle are all considered differently for insurance purposes.

Valuations are tricky for self built boats because of the lack of comparables. Certainly the materials and some agreed upon labor rate can be used if necessary to come to a value.

craigyb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by craigyb »

The insurance company representing the driver at the rear that caused the pile-up has already admitted full liability and has agreed to work with me or my insurance company. They're indicating, though, that while the repairs to my truck are easy to take care of, it may be a bit more difficult assessing the boat/trailer/motor situation. They're asking me to go to a boat dealer to get an estimate - I don't think dealers typically deal in hand-made fiberglass laminate boats. I'm waiting on my insurance agent to see if he has any better suggestions.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I think many transoms are wood cored and occasionslly need to be repaired due to water inttrusion/delamination. Same with cored decks on sailboats. I suspect you can get an estimate from a glass guy to cut off the transom and replace it/fair it in etc. Then maybe collect the money and do the work yourself.

My .02
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Man it sure seems like a lot of boats are getting hit lately. I hate this for you and hope the insurance people treat you right. As said by others the best way to come up with a repair cost is to have a glass shop give you a quote. Make sure they look the whole boat over for hidden damage.

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

So sorry to see this, Craig.

I know you're dealing with a hundred different aspects of this event. But if you do decide to rebuilt and need an extra hand, I'm relatively local and willing to help out. Just PM me.
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

GV-13 Build thread & Questions
Previously completed V10 & Launch

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Oh man this is terrible ! Sorry this happened to your beautiful boat . One of my biggest fears when I’m trailering Tipsy in Myrtle beach traffic...