FS14 from Seattle

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS14 from Seattle

Post by Jeff »

Congrats!! She looks really good and what a beautiful place to splash her!!! Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Nice, well done.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Beautiful color. :D

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

That's a beauty! Nice SUP too...I bought the same one for my family!

ctbeutel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ctbeutel »

She turned out great! Definitely worth the effort.
Owner of a FS18, completed FS12.

craigyb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by craigyb »

So, I took the boat out on Lake Roosevelt, an 80,000 acre impoundment of the Columbia river this week. It was glass-calm when I went out, and we sped over to a nice sandy cove devoid of humans and had a fine day on the beach. After inflating my lady friend's SUP off the boat battery, I took my dog out for a bit of kokanee fishing. As usual, later in the day as the wind kicked up and waves started to white cap, which is a no-go for small boats up here in the PNW. My friend says the boat was a-rockin during the times I was re-rigging my lines and wasn't able to man the tiller. I think I shouldn't fish alone unless I know the day is going to be totally calm.

I puttered back to the beach and waited for the winds to calm down. They did, and we basked like lizards in the sun for a few more hours. Eventually the wind came back and the waves started to really kick up. We deflated ourselves, then deflated the paddle board, loaded back up and headed to the launch. It did fine! With all our weight on the boat neither of us really were worried much. We tied off and started to unload when a big aluminum Hewes craft (upscale fishing platform in PNW) came up to the launch full of people and fish.

I'm still an amateur at backing up a trailer and in a bit of a panic attack I unhitched it and lowered it back down the ramp manually and had my friend back the truck up. The Hewes craft was listing and bucking pretty wildly and they were audibly concerned about losing their fish. A couple guys off the boat helped me load up quickly and were extremely friendly and helpful and reminded me to just do what I have to do and to not have a panic attack about it. My boat's got as much right to load and unload in due time as any that happens to be on the water. Some of the hull paint came off from the boat harshly hitting the launch's dock, but the big Hewes was hitting it too, so I don't feel like such a dumbass. It was just some unexpectedly wild conditions for both of us.

craigyb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by craigyb »

My FS14 got slammed hard in Monroe Washington today, coming home from a great week-long trip out to Leavenworth, WA.

Some guy dropped something a few cars behind me, looked down to get it, and hit a student driver between him and me. A first responder told me 'oh it's cracked in half' and I thought he meant the boat, he meant the trailer. The boat is mostly whole.

The 20hp tohatsu is all broken up. The trailer folded like a piece of paper. The FS14? Well, I think the transom needs replacing and the skeg is shot. The hull kept its shape very well and did not deform at all that I could see. The boat shot up and hit my tail light and broke the housing, but the motor and the hull took the most force in the collision. I think it actually kept a bad accident from being worse.

I had to have the trailer and boat towed off to a yard while my insurance decides what to do about it all. The car in the middle had it's occupants all driven to the hospital. They had to take the cars away first because they were leaking hazmat, and I wasn't, so I sat there the longest.

Man, I'm heartbroken. My boat is hundreds of miles away in a tow yard sitting up on a broken trailer. I don't have the wherewithal to asses what it would take to fix the problem. I hope I get to take her home in the end after all is said and done, though.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Wow! Glad you are okay! :D

Your beautiful boat! That sucks about the boat! :( Look at Coach's thread for rebuild inspiration! :wink:

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Sorry to hear about your accident and the damage to your beautiful boat. I imagine you are still shook up and suffering from the shock and swiftness of how it happened.

Most likely what happens next depends on a few things. An adjuster will be sent out to inspect the damage and assess the loss. The police report will be reviewed and your pictures at the scene will be requested. Depending on who is considered to be at fault your loss could be covered under yours or the other party’s homeowners, auto, a specific boat policy or even an umbrella liability policy or some combination of the above if the coverages don’t overlap. Your insurance company will work with their insurance company to figure out who is going to pay and how much is going to be paid.

At some point you will be offered a settlement amount to cover the estimated cost to either repair the damage or replace those components of the motor, boat and trailer that are unrepairable and considered a total loss. Depending on what insurance you have you may get some additional money for the impaired value of the repaired vehicle or even paid the total current replacement cost, minus deductibles. It all depends on what kind of insurance you and the other parties have.

The adjuster will not have much difficulty figuring out the cost of the motor and trailer. The boat on the other hand is a one of a kind custom built piece of art and the value will be highly subjective with the insurance company likely undervaluing it due to a lack of comparables. You may have to help them to understand the cost of the materials and the hours of labor invested to build the boat or come to some agreement on a comparable retail value production built substitute.

You do not have to accept the insurance company’s settlement offer for your boat and can negotiate for more if you feel it is warranted and you have documentation to back up your valuation.

Best wishes to you as you navigate the process. It will likely take longer than you want and involve more paperwork and follow up to get the fairest resolution. Be persistent and you will be on the water again in the style you have grown accustomed to.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Glad you are safe!!! Sorry this happened to you!!! Jeff