8' Cheap Canoe for Little Kids

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

8' Cheap Canoe for Little Kids

Post by Fred in Wisc »

I've built or helped build about 4 of Jacques' Cheap Canoes over the years, and they are very competent, sturdy, and quick little boats. My son Xander is 5 now, we moved to the lake last fall, and he's absolutely itching for a boat of his own. He's a skinny little guy, only about 40 pounds (ain't gonna stay that way how he's eating now....) so pretty much every kayak and canoe is just plain too big for him to handle. I've decided to shrink a CC14 down for him. A few years ago I built a scaled down one for my daughter Abby and she loves it! It feels a little tender until you're used to it, but it's really easy to paddle and very fast for its size.

A little quick math- If I make this about 80% width and depth, and about 55% length, that will result in a volume of about 35% of the normal CC14. Since the normal one works good with about a 200 pound load, plus a 50 pound boat, 250x.35 should result in a boat that works well up to around 90 pounds. If the boat weighs 30, that leaves around a 60 pound payload. Right about in the neighborhood of what we need. It also allows the hull to be constructed from one sheet of plywood.

If this works out well, I'll add some sketches with all the dimensions I used. There wa s a little fiddling around to get it to come out nice.

I'm going cheap on plywood here. AC pine. I'd love to make this with 3 or 4mm Okume, but the cost of shipping in one sheet just doesn't make sense. This boat is likely to get used hard, scraped and scratched, and having a little extra hull weight on something this small will probably be good for stability. I've got enough light cloth and resin left over to fiberglass it.

He's requesting it being painted in a Batman motif. So probably bright yellow with some black logos.

More later, I'm actually pretty far into the building process but haven't been updating in the forum- remodeling at home so no computer set up right now and it's hard to do this from a phone.
Last edited by Fred in Wisc on Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Cheap Canoe for Kids

Post by Fred in Wisc »

I love this stage, where flat panels become an elegant curved 3d object.

Zip tied, tabbed together with epoxy/woodflour, left it cure for a few days and then it looks like a boat.

Lots of spacers to keep the top edge at about the right angle and pretty smooth. The pine ply certainly doesn't bend like good plywood does.

Pretty nice looking sheer line.

Outer rub rails on. 2 layers of clear 5/16x 1 1/4" pine I had left over from our window replacement. This may be a problem later, it was 8' long, and I'd figured the plywood dimensions to use the full 8' length of the sheet. I installed these about a quarter inch under the top sheer of the plywood, so I could work them into a real nice smooth curve, then trimmed off the excess plywood with a rother and a oscillating tool.Forgot about some overhang and overlaps at the end. This would have been better if I'd had trim a few inches longer. Well, that problem will get fixed another day.

Also installed little bulkheads in each end. this will have floatation installed to keep my little guy afloat even if things get "interesting" for him.

And this was hilarious, he was casting off the dock because there were "big fish". I knew it was carp, and they won't usually bite artificials, but he insisted on trying. I look outside a few minutes later and he's got something big hooked up on his little 4lb ultralight. Turns out he snagged on int he tail. That was a heck of a fight. He got it in and I helped him land and unhook it. He was so excited he carried that carp into the house to show Mama. I was in a little trouble after that. But it was SO worth it.

Last edited by Fred in Wisc on Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

Building note- no strongback. Keeping it real simple by using the table of my table saw as a flat surface, then spacing upward with a couple of 1x6 to keep the boat up a little higher where I could work on it. Hull turned out quite flat and fair, there was only about 1/16-1/8 of corner to corner rock in it when I set it flat on the saw top, bottom down. I was able to take that out when installing the rubrails and the bulkheads, so now it's really fair on the bottom.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

I think we need to turn him into a sailor!!

What about a small sailboat.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Fred in Wisc wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:59 pm
He's requesting it being painted in a Batman motif. So probably bright yellow with some black logos.
All Black.
1/4" yellow stripe between sides and graphite bottom.
Yellow Rubrails
Yellow Seat and crossbars.
Yellow Batman logo abovte each floatation compartment.

Wouldnt be an issue here, but maybe black would be too hot where you live?
Then yellow inside and black outside?

They grow fast.... my boy is 8 and roughly 90lbs already

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

All black too hot, and I want it a bright color so I can see where he's at. But I agree that would look awesome. He will get a graphite bottom.

Probably a bright finish interior, just to show off that it's a wood boat. And bright trim, it turned out really pretty.

I've seen you over on the homebuilt airplanes forum. Looks like we have similar interests!

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Fred in Wisc wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:58 pm All black too hot, and I want it a bright color so I can see where he's at. But I agree that would look awesome. He will get a graphite bottom.

Probably a bright finish interior, just to show off that it's a wood boat. And bright trim, it turned out really pretty.

I've seen you over on the homebuilt airplanes forum. Looks like we have similar interests!
Hehe.... our next build once we finish the FS17 will have wings. Still struggling to find which one though.

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

I've got an old but very low hours RANS S4 tucked away awaiting some refurbishing.to be airworthy again. I'd love to build a plane but with how llong it takes me to build a little boat I can't see ever completing a plane from scratch.....

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: 8' Cheap Canoe for Little Kids

Post by Fred in Wisc »

Capt UB, now you've got me thinking about that sailing thing. I think I'll incorporate provisions to add a little sail rig into this. It probably won't take away anything from using it as a kayak, but gives added possibilities for later on. Xander sure likes learning new things, he graduated from spincasting to spinning reels last week, and he's using it like a pro already. Now wants to learn how that fly rod works, but I need to find a small light one for him first. There's a club on the lake that races little sailboats so I could probably talk someone into giving him some instruction (I have no sailing background at all).

So, what do I add to this to pre-equip for sailing? I'm guessing a mast step and upper mount at deck level, but what diameter? I'd like to stay with "standard" size components as much as possible. Anything else we'll need to keep that together- places to rig support lines or anything? Rudder? Leeboards (that could probably lash onto the slotted inwales later)? Or given the size, is this just a mast with no rigging?

Location of the mast? It would be easy to set it up around 2' from the bow because I'll be building a little deck there already is that OK on an 8' boat?

Advice would be appreciated, I have no clue in this area.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: 8' Cheap Canoe for Little Kids

Post by Capt UB »

Get him in the kids sailing club. I used an old Sunfish sail and mast on a canoe once... Used the paddle as the rudder (hand held) and the other paddle as an Leeboard. Sailing can be one more thing to keep the kids out of trouble and the parents broke! ;)