GV10 Stop and Start Project

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: GV10 Christmas project

Post by fallguy1000 »

Of course mouseholes are not possible at the transom and a few other locations.

Mouseholes prevent stress cracks, btw. Those occur from having a massive weld in the corner and that weld can damage surrounding structures.

My expertise is limited to other reading, but your frames woth the angles look like they did not have the needed relief.

Wish I knew more and sorry if I missed or you knew.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:10 pmVery cool! I was totally joking about the repairman.
I guessed so but if patience is a virtue I'm not very virtuous.
fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:10 pmGood luck. Love the work and watching the welds improve. Do you know what a mousehole is?

When you weld a boat, no weld is allowed at intersections of three planes. Instead a relief hole is cut on the transverse framing. Aka mousehole.
Thanks for the info Fallguy

I didn't know about mouseholes but from a quick look on google there seems to be a bit of controversy about them. A set of boat construction course lecture notes I found refers to this https://www.steelconstruction.info/Stif ... Cope_holes. Based on those notes the coping hole or mouse hole is an easy way of getting clearance for one weld bead to pass completely through the intersection without having to precisely measure the weld bead and shape the third plate precisely. That site is for steel and not alloy where the stress crack issue is larger though.

I'll look through my book https://www.bookdepository.com/Boatbuil ... 0071443180 tonight when I get home.

I am going to be trying to turn the frames into watertight compartments so want to avoid mouseholes. If cracking becomes an issue I can add them later when doing repairs.

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

MikeyGnz wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:01 pm His (welder repair man) first day back was a Saturday and they only work a half day on Saturdays. I decided to give him that to catch up and will be calling when they open today.
Gave a call to the repair place and turns out today is his first day back so no update on the repair yet. Good that I called though because it had been left in the wrong bay and the repairer didn't know anything about it.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

To build watertght with the mousehole; you'd use foam I'd say.

Here is good reading on trouble welding in these corners..

https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/crac ... ost-843890

Kind regards. I am eyeing the design for a tender.

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:05 pm To build watertght with the mousehole; you'd use foam I'd say.

Here is good reading on trouble welding in these corners..

https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/crac ... ost-843890

Kind regards. I am eyeing the design for a tender.
Thanks for the information FallGuy.

I have done a count and there are 31 or 39 (depends on the number of stringers) places where I have welds with 3 or more panels/frames joining. Of these 6 are unavoidable as they join hull panels to the transom or bow along the chine or keel. Of the remaining joins there will be cope holes at all but 13 where I want to maintain water tightness. 3 of these are within 150mm/6” of the bow so I do not expect high stress as they will only be in the water at low speeds.

Given that this particular boat is smallish at 3m/10ft with 2.5mm thick panels and 3mm thick frames I think it fits into the category of over-engineered. I will be the only person using the outboard with the boat under oar power most of the time so I am tempted to risk it with the remaining 10 joints. They are in visible locations and I can check for cracks after each use and repair as required.

In other news my welder is being repaired and should be ready for this weekend.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The only added benefit of the cope is a smidge less weight and ease of welding.

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

Just been told welder is repaired and I can pick it up in the morning. Tomorrow the build recomences.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

MikeyGnz wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:46 am Just been told welder is repaired and I can pick it up in the morning. Tomorrow the build recomences.
Good luck! :)
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: GV10 Start and Stop Project

Post by MikeyGnz »

Got some more welding done today then welder died again, back to repairman tomorrow.

Since I didn't finish over Christmas and the project is stop/start I've changed the title of my thread.

fallguy1000

Re: GV10 Stop and Start Project

Post by fallguy1000 »

Don't give up!

Have you calculated a final weight?0