Eastern NC SK-14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Eastern NC SK-14

Post by Dougster »

I've posted this comment elsewhere, but will repeat as it's relevant to your scupper situation. I weigh 185 and don't get water in when I crank the outboard, but I think I'd just put up with it or have a temporary cover of some kind. Reason is, a big V hull bass boat came by me half on/half off plane and the wake rolled right over the bow of my SK14. It was no problem at all because of that big old scupper. The water was up to my ankles for a few seconds, then gone. It was reassuring. BTW, your build looks great, wouldn't want to park mine along side her :lol: They really are fun little skiffs.

Dougster

Rogerogrant
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rogerogrant »

Looks flippin' awesome man!!! :D
(Also, youtube videos are crystal clear for me, so probably just a playback issue after you uploaded them, fyi)

Where would you say your grab bar ended up now that you've moved it? I've got a similar grab bar/cooler arrangement planned, currently centered over the "C" frame, but I might also consider moving it a bit forward. I'm a little lighter than you at around 200lbs.

So that 1796mm is around 70 inches from transom to grab bar...

BlackJack224
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BlackJack224 »

Doug,
Thanks for the reassurance. Yeah, I'm 100% going to facilitate moving water out, and in a hurry. 90% of use will be in the salt marshes and ICW area of coastal NC, so I fully expect to take them over the bow on a somewhat regular basis. Just brainstorming on a flapper style that would impede a little water from coming in so quickly, but not hinder any of it going out.

Roger,
Thank you as well. As stated, it's a really fun and agile little skiff, and overall was a fun (less the sanding and fairing) and straight forward build. Great little boat to learn the craft on.

I measured at lunch a few minutes ago, and the centerline of my grab rail is 65" from the inside corner where the transom meets the sole/deck. Probably very close to 70" if measured from outside/top of transom due to the transom angle. To be honest, it could stand to move forward even a little more with my weight, but it handles really good where it's set at now when on plane, and it still keeps the nose up a bit to help with chop and boat wakes. It was absolutely perfect for my buddy that ran her some in the videos, at 185lbs.

Rogerogrant
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rogerogrant »

Sweet, thanks Blackjack! I’ll stick with the planned 70-ish inches then. I’d like to be able to park my son on the cooler, but as he’s already 6’0, 200lbs at 15 years old, I reckon we’re better off just building him his own. 8O :lol:

BlackJack224
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BlackJack224 »

You'll probably be fine in protected waters and while paying attention! I put my wife and kid on the front over the weekend in the pond. They are 160 combined, and honestly couldn't tell much difference in performance or stability......but I can assure you that I wouldn't have wanted anyone making any sudden movements or walking around!

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Nicely done! Loved the videos! 8)