C12 - TL70 - Brazil

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
DuEholic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: C12 - TL70 - Brazil

Post by DuEholic »

narfi wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:27 pm So many good pictures, love this one,

Also love your chess board and map, lots of great detail and art going into your projects :)
She does'nt know yet she will sail with us ;-)

DuEholic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by DuEholic »

Hi Guys, hope everybody is fine on board...

On our side, we did a little break with the construction as we didn't know how to build the mast and adapt a sail... We have taken this time to study a bit more about navigation. And spent some time in the beautiful Brazilian coasts :-) few pictures at the end of this post...

But in November we pretend to finally sail... and wish to get some inputs from you to help us to finalise as soon as possible as we fell a little bit blocked at that point...

We already have the following elements, and now need to build everything together...

- Mast Partner and Mast Step are ready

- Aluminium Spar in 2 parts that will be joined: 3m + 3m = 6m total

- We bought a Laser Sail that have almost the same exact dimensions specified on Jacques' Sail Plan (Marconi)
  • Luff: 5,10m
    Foot: 2,70m
    Leech: 5,50m

- And have also already installed on the boat all the SS accessories (swivel block, eyebolt, to attached the halyard, the pair of shrouds and the SS cable on the transom.

Our difficulty now is to understand how to join the sail and the mast. As our sail is from a laser, we could actually fit it directly on the mast, as we did on the picture... But with the pair of shroud, this is not an option anymore... or should we pierce the sail at the height of the shroud attachements?

However, we understand the best option would be to be able to raise the head of the sail once the luff is attached to the boom along its length.
Should we consider to instal a mast track slider?

Many thanks in advance for your orientations...

Durval & Audrey

Few pictures of our trainings here around...getting closer to water

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress guys!!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

if you want a fully raise/lower sail then you will need to do a track. But I don't think you will need a full track.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

DuEholic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by DuEholic »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:36 pm if you want a fully raise/lower sail then you will need to do a track. But I don't think you will need a full track.
Many thanks Jaysen, do you think half track would be enough? just in the upper part of the mast?

DuEholic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by DuEholic »

Jeff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:41 pm Nice progress guys!!!! Jeff
Thanks Jeff :-) Thanks for supporting :-) :-)

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

DuEholic wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:20 pm
Jaysen wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:36 pm if you want a fully raise/lower sail then you will need to do a track. But I don't think you will need a full track.
Many thanks Jaysen, do you think half track would be enough? just in the upper part of the mast?
You’d still want to secure the lower section. But using track above and rings lower would make it easy as you wouldn’t have to worry about alignment of track on the mast (if I recall you have a two piece mast).
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

DuEholic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by DuEholic »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:25 pm
DuEholic wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:20 pm
You’d still want to secure the lower section. But using track above and rings lower would make it easy as you wouldn’t have to worry about alignment of track on the mast (if I recall you have a two piece mast).
yes it is a 2 pieces mast, so it would be definitely easier to use track only above... i am also worried with the alignment. Many thanks for your suggestion :D :D :D :D

We were also considering another option, but i couldn't find any information about it, so maybe it is a wrong ideia... What about using a steel cable attached really close to the mast as an "external track". This way, we won't have any trouble with the 2 piece mast alignment... but in the real life, i don't know if the cable would remain as closed as the mast as we imagine in this scenario....

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

That’s the same principle as a stay sail. This is how most fire sails actually work. you need to get that stay really tight which will put a lot of pressure on the mast. But this is all small scale so we are to talking tons like in a larger boat. I would.
1. Put a guid block on top of the mast.
2. Put the bottom stay anchor ON THE MAST as a through bolt.
3. Run stay from aft anchor, over guide, down to other anchor.
4. Turn buckles on both anchor points.

You still need the halyard block at mast head to raise the main. If you want it to ride smoother make sure the anchors and guide block at top give you 1/2” (2cm) clearance for the sail hanks.

Tony (terullian) or Bob (Capt Ub) May have better ideas. They have a LOT more experience than I do.

Sounds like an adventure. Take pictures.

DuEholic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by DuEholic »

Many many thanks Jansen, sorry for the late answer, we were out of sinal those days...

I think we understood... but .. as it is our first construction, we have some nautical vocabulary terms to learn to be able to picture out exactly your recommendation but i guess we've got it :D
Would you suggest a video illustrating your answer so we can be sure? :)