FL14 Tennessee/Wisconsin build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TedS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FL14 Tennessee/Wisconsin build

Post by TedS »

Hey Pee Wee, you are the second person to express concern about the BCX plywood. While the boat isn't meant to be a showpiece, I certainly don't want it to fall apart. You got me questioning my memory. I thought maybe I had imagined the BCX as an option. Went back and looked through the instructions. Turns out it is on the FL14 description on the bateau webpage that says the boat can be made of "inexpensive exterior plywood". So, I'm not losing my mind but I do hear your concerns! If this boat falls apart due to the quality of the plywood I'll be very unhappy. Guess I had better be very liberal with the epoxy when I am coating the exterior of the hull. I have tried to be very diligent to fill any voids in the edge laminations with any excess epoxy paste.

Any other pointers on how to make this boat more durable?

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

cover exposed plywood with lightweight fiberglass cloth. It will add weight but make it very durable. It will also reduce checking.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Some years ago a guy built a very nice little boat. His work was great but he used cheap plywood and did not cover it with glass. After 2-3 years it had checked so badly he cut it up and hauled it to the dump.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:07 pm Some years ago a guy built a very nice little boat. His work was great but he used cheap plywood and did not cover it with glass. After 2-3 years it had checked so badly he cut it up and hauled it to the dump.
Actually, two different guys.
Plumbertuck and GStanfield.
Tuck cut up his boat with a chainsaw and the other guy hauled his boat to the dump if I remember correctly.
I’d glass every exposed piece of wood on the boat.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

TedS wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:02 pm Hey Pee Wee, you are the second person to express concern about the BCX plywood. While the boat isn't meant to be a showpiece, I certainly don't want it to fall apart. You got me questioning my memory. I thought maybe I had imagined the BCX as an option. Went back and looked through the instructions. Turns out it is on the FL14 description on the bateau webpage that says the boat can be made of "inexpensive exterior plywood". So, I'm not losing my mind but I do hear your concerns! If this boat falls apart due to the quality of the plywood I'll be very unhappy. Guess I had better be very liberal with the epoxy when I am coating the exterior of the hull. I have tried to be very diligent to fill any voids in the edge laminations with any excess epoxy paste.

Any other pointers on how to make this boat more durable?
Do a few tests on your offcuts of plywood.

Put a screw or two into the plywood and see if the screw separates the plies with a cracking noise. If it does, you need to throw it all away. Mertens wasn't assuming absolute garbage quality. The bcx stuff I got from HD was within the last 2 years and I am really hoping yours is not that horrible. Any movement like a boat hitting a wave would cause the junk I got to delam.

If it can't hold a screw without delaminating, it is junk.

Trust me, that stuff I bought was not good enough to build a boat with...

Otherwise, if the screw doesn't tear it apart, build on!
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TedS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TedS »

Hey everyone. I really fell down on posting. Last summer got very crazy as it went. Too many projects in too little time. This boat is finished now so if I can remember how to use the forum interface I'm going to post photos from last summer and this summer showing the remainder of the process.

These show the process of epoxy gluing all of the interior joints.
IMG_5267.JPEG
IMG_5268.JPEG
IMG_5269.JPEG
IMG_5280.JPEG
IMG_5291.JPEG
IMG_5292.JPEG
IMG_5293.JPEG
IMG_5294.JPEG
IMG_5295.JPEG
IMG_5296.JPEG
IMG_5296.JPEG

TedS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TedS »

I opted for buoyancy foam so I needed to create some hidden spaces inside of the storage compartments for this. I used rough cardboard templates to figure out the correct shape and size for the walls of these spaces and then cut them out of scrap plywood and glued them in.

Also seen here is the process of cutting the triangular piece of wood for reinforcing the bow joint. I approximated the shape as best I could and cut it out with a hand saw.
IMG_5297.JPEG
IMG_5298.JPEG
IMG_5299.JPEG
IMG_5300.JPEG
IMG_5301.JPEG
IMG_5302.JPEG
IMG_5303.JPEG
IMG_5304.JPEG
IMG_5305.JPEG
IMG_5306.JPEG
IMG_5307.JPEG
IMG_5308.JPEG
IMG_0421.jpg
IMG_0425.jpg
IMG_0428.jpg
IMG_0429.jpg
IMG_0430.jpg
IMG_0431.jpg
IMG_0432.jpg
IMG_0433.jpg
IMG_0434.jpg

TedS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TedS »

We flipped the boat over and fiberglassed the chines. That's as far as we got last summer. We put it on a trailer and pulled it back to Tennessee where it sat until this summer.
IMG_5647.JPEG
IMG_5648.JPEG
IMG_5650.JPEG
IMG_5651.JPEG

TedS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TedS »

Earlier this summer we decided to prioritize finishing the boat so we could enjoy it this summer and fall. With the help of some friends we hauled it up on our back porch and got to work. First glued the breast hook and other corner braces. Then added the rub rails. These were cut out of some scrap plywood and held in place with screws until the epoxy set.

There was a spot on one of the seats that was delaminating so I tore out everything that was loose and filled it with epoxy paste. Turned out not as smooth as I would have liked but it's fine.

Interior was pained with porch paint - textured for the floor deck, high gloss for everything else.

We got a bimini and it was just too tempting not to mount it and check it out.
IMG_6765.JPEG
IMG_6785.JPEG
IMG_6786.JPEG
IMG_6789.JPEG
IMG_6791.JPEG
IMG_6792.JPEG
IMG_6793.JPEG
IMG_6819.JPEG
IMG_6820.JPEG
IMG_6823.JPEG
IMG_6824.JPEG
IMG_6826.JPEG
IMG_6834.JPEG
IMG_6835.JPEG
IMG_6845.JPEG
IMG_6846.JPEG
IMG_6847.JPEG
IMG_6848.JPEG

TedS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TedS »

With some help from friends we flipped the boat. I couldn't bring myself to put holes in the bottom to align and tighten the skeg as indicated in the instructions. So it was epoxy glued only.

We had a fair amount of additional fiberglass so we covered the bottom and several inches up the sides.

There was an area on the transom that was delaminating. I tried to cut it open, pry it up, and put epoxy underneath to fix it but the result was unsatisfactory. So I ended up again removing everything that was loose and filling the void with epoxy paste. This time I was able to achieve a very smooth finish that was barely noticeable after sanding.
IMG_6869.JPEG
IMG_6883.JPEG
IMG_6884.JPEG
IMG_6886.JPEG
IMG_6887.JPEG
IMG_6862.JPEG
IMG_6863.JPEG
IMG_6864.JPEG
IMG_6865.JPEG