SG15 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Typhoon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: SG15 build

Post by Typhoon »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:46 am Are you sure you do not have any amine blush? That would cause the paper to clog quickly. A warm water and soap bath before sanding might be worth a try. I only go to something like 180 grit when close to the end. But no matter how you are doing it the result is sure looking good :wink:
Yeah, made very sure of no amine blush, I rinse with very soapy, warm water and a scotchbrite pad. I think it's just the nature of finer papers on fairly fresh epoxy- the epoxy gets warm with the friction and you get tiny clogs all over the paper. To be fair, I did only apply the epoxy maybe 36 hours before I sanded.
This afternoon, I got the boat back in the shed and decided to use up the last of the urethane primer I had left over from the Jag on the hull. One coat rolled on, it's all it will need. Just want a flat, uniform colour rto put topcoat on. It looks very different in primer, almost like I know what I'm doing! :lol:
IMG_4303.JPG
IMG_4304.JPG
IMG_4305.JPG

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Wow! That looks good

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Nice. Good call covering up the XJS.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

That is a really nice looking hull :D

Typhoon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Typhoon »

Told myself no more sanding and that the interior would end up however it sanded out. I lied to myself! My inner perfectionist came out and created more work for me, just had to fill the tapes.
IMG_4325.JPG

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!!! Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Good job. I love the SG15, great offshore row boat.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Typhoon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Typhoon »

I've never made oars before, but let's have a go! Couldn't find any decent lengths of oar suitable timber locally, so ended up buying a few boards of Monterey cypress, ripping them up and joining the lengths with some clothespeg scarfs. We'll see how it works...
I'll sand the interior tomorrow, hopefully get the interior in primer next week, then decide on colours.
IMG_4327.JPG
IMG_4334.JPG

Typhoon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Typhoon »

No post for a couple of weeks, but things have been happening.
The interior got primed during the week, I just use a fabric 100mm (4") roller and regular 2k urethane automotive primer, very lightly thinned to reduce roller texture left behind in the finish. It works out very well- fast, easy, high build with one coat, no overspray and leaves a nice finish. I intend to do the interior top coat this way as well, it will be a flat finish and the slight roller texture left behind looks good (and hides small imprefections).
Also kept working on the oars and created a lot more saw dust. Hope I don't end up with a pile of saw dust and no oars!
Today is saturday here in Australia, the outside of the hull is going to be sanded, garage thoroughly cleaned and blown out/ hosed down, and some topcoat applied to the outside of the hull. As always, I didn't sleep too well last night worrying about painting!
IMG_4337.JPG
IMG_4338.JPG
IMG_4339.JPG
IMG_4344.JPG