SG15 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Typhoon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: SG15 build

Post by Typhoon »

Got the tank lids bonded in place, went about as well as could be expected. The blind bonding on the bottom of the tank lid support worked out pretty well too.
Also figured out a quick and dirty scarf joint jig so the gunwale joins would come out somewhat similar.
IMG_4235.JPG
IMG_4236.JPG
IMG_4237.JPG
IMG_4238.JPG
IMG_4240.JPG
IMG_4241.JPG

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It looks very good but why scarfing the rubrail layers? Stagger the seams and that's it.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Typhoon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Typhoon »

jacquesmm wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:08 pm It looks very good but why scarfing the rubrail layers? Stagger the seams and that's it.
Jacques, the timber I have for the gunwales is around 19mm thick, two layers would be far too thick. I am going to fit an inner and outer gunwale, with the inner spaced maybe 30-40mm to really stiffen up the hull and spread the rowing loads a bit better. The outer gunwale is a tough, hard wood for impact protection and the inner is red cedar, light but strong enough.
Plus, I just really love the look of varnished gunwales and am happy to add a little weight to achieve it. :D
I should also mention, I am amazed how much adding the buoyancy tanks stiffened up the hull. I was expecting a decent improvement, but the boat behaves like one solid piece when you grab the transom and give it a shake.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes about all those compartments stiffening the boat. In my designs as in most boats, the hull skin is flimsy but by adding frames, soles and decks, we create a very stiff beam. It becomes a strong monocoque structure.
This is not the case of production boats in which the top parts are vaguely glued with putty to the hull.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Typhoon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Typhoon »

A bit late with this update, life got in the way after the weekend.
I had a scarf joint on one of the gunwale timpers pop open and had to redo it. Was a one off I glued up after the rest of the joints in a rush, I must've mixed the adhesive incorrectly.
Outer gunwales are on and glued, stern knees and breast hook cut and trial fitted and am going to try something a little unusal with the inwales. Going to taper and bond them to the ends of the boat, then splay them out a little towards the rowlocks for added strength with some blocks behind. It looks OK to my eye mocking it up.
My boards for oars also arrived. That will be an interesting project in itself.
IMG_4247.JPG
IMG_4248.JPG
IMG_4250.JPG
IMG_4251.JPG
IMG_4260.JPG
IMG_4261.JPG
IMG_4262.JPG

Typhoon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Typhoon »

Been busy with the boat, but been a bit slack taking photo and posting.
Finished the gunwales up to a good enough stage to put a coat of epoxy on to protect them, and sanded down the interior with 40 then 80 grit. Will revisit the interior with some filler here and there once I've used the filler on the outside of the hull, and I know how it behaves.
Also realised the boat would be much more effective with a middle seat, so reluctantly fitted one of those as well.
Once that was all done, I flipped the boat over onto some lower stands and commenced the job I hate- fairing. Doesn't matter what it is on, it's just a nasty job. Today I got the hull knocked down on the glassed areas with some 40 grit, and iced it up really well with some phenolic microbaloons. I like being able to mix my own filler, can vary the consistency depending on where it is going.
Anyway, it's turning out pretty decent so far and just before flipping the hull, it's still around 41kg, not bad at all considering:
IMG_4268.JPG
IMG_4270.JPG
IMG_4273.JPG
IMG_4274.JPG
IMG_4275.JPG
IMG_4276.JPG
IMG_4277.JPG
IMG_4278.JPG

Typhoon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Typhoon »

In my excitement to fill the hull, I forgot the skeg. Kind of important! Knocked the filler off around the skeg and bonded it on.
We have a long weekend here this weekend and as work keeps harrassing me about all my accrued leave, I took to extra days off and made it a 5 day weekend. Power sanded the hull today wth 36 grit, will follow up with 80 grit and then primer.
IMG_4279.JPG
IMG_4280.JPG
IMG_4295.JPG

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Save a little of that extra time off for splash day. But until then you are making good use of it :wink:

Typhoon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Typhoon »

Thanks Fuzz, I tnd to take time off work and well, work! Bad habit of mine.
Last couple of days has been spent rolling a layer of resin over the hull and knocking that down with 180 grit paper on the orbital sander. The 180 grit clogs and loses it's edge pretty quickly, so lots of paper changes. My hands are tingling nicely now as well!
But I managed to convince the better three-quarters to help move the sanded hull out into the sun today for a "post cure bake cycle".
IMG_4298.JPG
IMG_4299.JPG
IMG_4302.JPG

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Are you sure you do not have any amine blush? That would cause the paper to clog quickly. A warm water and soap bath before sanding might be worth a try. I only go to something like 180 grit when close to the end. But no matter how you are doing it the result is sure looking good :wink: