SG15 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Typhoon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: SG15 build

Post by Typhoon »

Been working away at the oars this week, wanted to get a coat of resin on them, so I could clear coat the oars and gunwales at the same time.
This weekend I'll also work on a mount for some dolly wheels on the transom, hope to get clear coats started this weekend.
IMG_4398.JPG
IMG_4399.JPG
IMG_4400.JPG
IMG_4401.JPG
IMG_4403.JPG
IMG_4406.JPG

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Those are gorgeous oars right there!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Very much a nice set of oars.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Typhoon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Typhoon »

This weekend I sorted out how to mount wheels to the transom. I really didn't want them permanently mounted and I didn't want to make a wheeled cradle, as they can be cumbersome.
So, I needed to put a couple of eyes in the transom to lift the boat up into the carport for storage ( I'm hoping to lift is directly on and off the car roof racks for ease of transport) and had been thinking about using them to mount wheels somehow.
I came up with the idea of making a transom plate that hooked over the top and will be secured with a couple of pins through the eye bolts. Seconds to fit and remove, even in the water. The plate will get carpet and rubber on the inside to cushion the boat nicely.
Also got the epoxy on the gunwales sanded out today, epoxy on the oars still just a little soft, so will look at sanding and clearcoats after work during the week.
IMG_4407.JPG
IMG_4408.JPG
IMG_4409.JPG
IMG_4410.JPG

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

I would put some stainless fender washers under those nuts on the inside.

Typhoon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Typhoon »

Netpackrat wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:09 pm I would put some stainless fender washers under those nuts on the inside.
I considered going with larger washers, but I have 9mm plywood and the intersection of two layers of biax each side in that location. The bolts were also bonded in with epoxy as I installed them, to seal the wood and bond the bolts into the structure. The nuts aren't cranked down super tight either, so very little compression.
They'll only ever be in shear, so I think they'll be fine. Time will tell!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful work!!! Jeff

Typhoon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Typhoon »

The silly season has slowed me down, but the boat is ready to go. Oars need some leather and I need to finish off my boat loading frame for the car, but it's all just about there. Also sorted out my carport storage, super easy to lift. Still not 100% sure the boat will clear the roller door on the roof racks, but it will be close, and I can work around it easily enough if it doesn't.
Finished off my beach wheels as well, they turned out very nicely, and the boat is easy to move around on them as well!
IMG_4411.JPG
IMG_4426.JPG
IMG_4427.JPG
IMG_4429.JPG
IMG_4430.JPG
IMG_4434.JPG
IMG_4435.JPG

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

NICE!!! :)
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Beautiful :D

Dougster