Page 1 of 1

SG15 build

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:13 am
by Typhoon
Hi all,

Decided to build an SG15 for a bit of exercise and to get out on the water. Liked the size and weight of the SG15- small enough to cartop, but big enough for open water and less than perfect days.
Anyway, got the plans, ordered the materials and made a start.
Here in Australia, we are blessed with some of the highest quality marine plywood in the world. Some people think marine ply is overkill, but I like it for several reasons, mainly consistency of product and the fact you save a huge amount of finishing time buying AA face plywood as you don't have any weird open grain or defects to fill.
I went with locally made Hoop pine plywood instead of the imported BS1088 Wasatree as they couldn't tell me which species of wood it was or the country of origin. Weight was also a consideration, with the Hoop pine being lighter.
I've decided to use 9mm ply for the bottom panel, seat and bulkheads, 4mm for the rest. I'm only fitting one seat and will enclose the bow and stern of the boat from the forward and rear frames at seat height as buoyancy tanks. As I am using 9mm for the bottom panel, I wil scarf those pieces together, but side panels will be butt strapped as I feel it gives a consistently stronger join in such thin ply and you don't get the glass join you need to fair on the outside of the hull like you do with a glass joint.
The 9mm makes for a pretty stiff bottom panel and I can see it adding a LOT of rigidity to the hull. Only issue is that I don't think it'll take the bend it needs to take with just the side panels pulling it into place, so I will temporarily fasten the bottom panel down to my building "table" at mid seat frame and block the bottom panel to the shape it needs to be before I try to fit the sides. With 4mm ply, I am worried about tearing through the ply trying to pull such a stiff panel together.
Anyway, not much progress to look at so far, I have all frames and panels cut out, need to do all the joints on the panels next. I'm only working on the boat a few hours a weekend and in spare time.
IMG_4120.JPG
IMG_4121.JPG
IMG_4123.JPG
IMG_4125.JPG
IMG_4129.JPG

Re: SG15 build

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:31 am
by Browndog
Great start on your project. Good luck and keep the pictures coming.

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:37 am
by Jeff
Good start!! Welcome to the Builders Forum!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:46 am
by piperdown
Welcome to the builders forum!
Sounds like you have a good plan and off to a great start :D

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:42 am
by jacquesmm
Good plan.
There isn't much curvature in the bottom panel, it will bend.

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:34 pm
by Typhoon
Today I finished cutting the final side panel halves and scarphed up the bottom panel.
I Dexterised my work table and am currently trying to decide whether it's worth gluing up, as it's very cold here at the moment and I don't want the panels sitting there for days waiting for final cure!
IMG_4144.JPG
IMG_4146.JPG

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:19 am
by Typhoon
Job's on! Decided to go for the glue and put a small heater under the table.
Photo didn't capture it, but I used a laser line to line up the two bottom panels nice and straight. They've been left a little oversize so I can fair up the curves after the joint has cured.
IMG_4149.JPG
IMG_4148.JPG
IMG_4147.JPG

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:54 am
by Typhoon
Well, the glue cured well enough to be handled, I kept the temperature in the garage around 15c for the initial cure phase.
I set the bottom panel up and temporarily screwed the bulkheads to the panel to make things a little easier. because I am using a 9mm bottom, the hull REALLY didn't want to start taking shape initially, so I blocked each end of the table with 2" blocks and put a heavy weight in the middle. Made it so much easier to get the initial stitches in place.
Also, because the bottom panel is so rigid, I cut it a little oversize and put a bevel on the outside of the lower panels, so those panels can just slide back and forth on the bottom panel and find their happy place. It's working out very well and at least I know the bottom panel is fair due to it's rigidity, and the sides are turning out nicely as well, as I spent a good amount of time when cutting the panels ensuring I had nice, fair curves.
I'll leave the transom off for now and make sure everything is square and plumb before I start the other two panels.
IMG_4150.JPG
IMG_4151.JPG
IMG_4152.JPG
IMG_4153.JPG

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:20 am
by OrangeQuest
Looking very good and clean!

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:40 am
by Typhoon
Came home this afternon and levelled the boat up. Was actually already very square, I ended up moving one block underneath to raise it about 8mm, which is pretty impressive considering the nature of stitch and glue! The middle seat bulkhead (the one used as a reference for just about every measurement on this boat) was nice and plumb. I trued up the rest of the bulkheads nice and vertical as the bottom being bent had obviously pulled them slightly out of the vertical plane, but it helped a lot having the bulkheads fitted and somewhat stable on the bottom panel.
Also used the laser to mark the forward buoyancy tank on the hull skin, will make things easier later on.
Probably won't get around to bending the upper panels on during the week, but this weekend for sure.
IMG_4159.JPG
IMG_4158.JPG
IMG_4157.JPG
IMG_4155.JPG

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:01 am
by Typhoon
So, the upper panels have been fited and everything juggled so it's fair and in wind. Had to pop out the mid seat and intermediate frame and give them a bit of a touch up with the plane, they were causing some slightly weird curves.
Got the inside all peanut buttered up, will let that harden up, cut the wires, fair the seams and glass it up. The filleting went a lot faster than I'd anticipated.
IMG_4161.JPG
IMG_4162.JPG
IMG_4164.JPG
IMG_4165.JPG
IMG_4167.JPG
IMG_4168.JPG
IMG_4169.JPG

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:06 pm
by Browndog
Coming together nicely.

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:06 am
by Jeff
Yes, nice work!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:47 am
by Typhoon
Thanks guys, this is my first boat built from scratch. I'm really impressed how quickly stitch and glue goes together
The SG15 is a pretty nice looking thing once it's all in one piece too, think I'll put a nice bright finished gunwhale on the boat.

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:27 am
by OrangeQuest
Very nice and you work clean.

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:25 am
by Tungsten
What is the blue car?
Boat looks great.

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:37 am
by Typhoon
Tungsten wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:25 am What is the blue car?
Boat looks great.
That's my long term project- Jaguar XJS. 8 years into a two year restoration/ mods! :lol:

I pulled the stitches out of the boat yesterday evening and this evening after work, they came out quite easily, even covered in epoxy as they were.
Very happy with how fair the hull looks so far, and I threw the bare hull with frames and transom on the scales out of curiosity. I think I should be able to keep it under 50kgs, we'll see.
IMG_4174.JPG
IMG_4173.JPG
IMG_4172.JPG

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:35 am
by Typhoon
Today I'd only planned to smooth up the glue joints, cut and prepare tape for laminating tomorrow. I had all the prep work done by 1pm, so had lunch and came out to laminate up one bay of the hull, to get a feel for the process.
I went around the seams and filled all the wire holes with a loose filler mix, then while it was still wet, I used it to tack the tape into place before laminating. Made things much easier. The filler mix was still a little tacky as I was laminating up the last bay, so that worked out perfectly as well.
Well, one bay became two and I soon got into a rythm and did the whole interior. Glad I went with the fast hardener, I was initially worried it would lead me into rushing things, but with the ambient day temps here between 15-17c, and the maximum temp only lasting a few hours in the afternoon, it was a good choice. A mix of filler tends to go off in the cup after about 30 mins and plain resin mix is easily lasting long enough for me to get one bay taped up without rushing.
IMG_4175.JPG
IMG_4176.JPG
IMG_4177.JPG

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:32 pm
by Fuzz
That is some very nice looking glass work right there :wink:

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:40 pm
by Typhoon
Fuzz wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:32 pm That is some very nice looking glass work right there :wink:
Thank you! The older I get, the more fussy I seem to be getting about doing things right.
That, or it's harder to control my OCD! :lol:
I used a steel roller on the tape to drive out air and wet it out with less resin, was concerned the roller would push the relatively small tape around, but it was fine as long as you considered the direction you were pushing the roller.
Set up a poor man's post cure this morning, probably not too necessary considering the resin has properly cured, but with overnight temperature down to 5c, I want to bring it back up to a reasonable temperature to ensure a full cure.
IMG_4178.JPG

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:43 pm
by Typhoon
Wasn't going to do any work on the boat today- pushed my back too far and paid for it.
But I did decide the interior was solid enough to flip the boat over. Very happy with how fair it is, and glad I took the extra time to make sure the panels butted up tightly.
Took a photo of where the bottom panel meets the sides at the bow, the small bevel I planed into the side panels will make it a nice fair curve once I knocg the corners off the bottom panel and fair it in. It was pure dumb luck that it worked out so well, no skill involved there!
You can also see where I messed up the curve for the bottom panel midships, nothing a bit of wood flour won't fix. :oops: I knew it was there, but I'd already cut the panels and you can't unsaw wood, so I just let the side panel float and find it's own curve when stitching. It worked well enough so moved forwards with it.
Also included a photo of what I do with stirring sticks when I'm finished with them, I just throw them on an open catalogue. End of the day, just tear out the couple of pages they are stuck to and start again.
IMG_4180.JPG
IMG_4181.JPG
IMG_4182.JPG
IMG_4184.JPG
IMG_4179.JPG

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:04 am
by Typhoon
Spent time after hours during the week fairing up the chines, filling gaps etc, in preparation for laminating the outer hull.
Cut the reinforcements up and got the boat ready for a laminating session tomorrow. Never used peel ply before, hopefully that works out OK!
I'm going to laminate the upper chines, then lower chines, then bow and transom. Then will cover the bottom with the light cloth last, which will protect the structural tapes and provide a finer cloth for finishing. Hoping to do it all in one go.
Also found my new favourite product- masking tape and plastic in a disposable dispenser, makes things much easier.
IMG_4191.JPG
IMG_4192.JPG
IMG_4193.JPG
IMG_4195.JPG
IMG_4197.JPG
IMG_4198.JPG
IMG_4199.JPG
IMG_4200.JPG

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:38 pm
by Typhoon
More photos, can't have enough photos!
Got the big job done today- biax on the seams and 200gsm board cloth on the bottom/lower sides.
I've never done any laminating this big before, it was definitely worth having everything pre cut and laid out ready to go beforehand. Also glad I masked off the sides of the hull after I did the upper chine, it meant I could just concentrate on laminating and not worry about where all the drips were going.
I've also never used peel ply before, hope it works out! :|
IMG_4207.JPG
IMG_4208.JPG
IMG_4209.JPG
IMG_4210.JPG
IMG_4211.JPG
IMG_4212.JPG

Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:58 am
by Typhoon
So, the peel ply worked! Even as a first attempt and not getting some small areas smoothed out quite right, it has saved SO much sanding and tidy up work. I'm especially impressed with the edges of the reinforcements, the peel ply has left a nice, smooth transition that will need little filling.
IMG_4213.JPG
IMG_4214.JPG
IMG_4215.JPG
IMG_4216.JPG

Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:01 am
by topwater
Nice glass work :!:

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:19 am
by Typhoon
Well, the weekend is over and progress slows again, but I did manage to rip a nice cedar plank and some left over floorboards up for gunwales. Will plane them to dimension and scarf them up during the week after work.
The boat is still pretty light, gained around 7kg with all the external glass work.
IMG_E4217.JPG
IMG_4218.JPG

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:51 am
by piperdown
Very nice glass work!
Progressing right along (whole heck of a lot faster than me) and before you know it you'll have it splashed :D

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:20 pm
by Typhoon
piperdown wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:51 am Very nice glass work!
Progressing right along (whole heck of a lot faster than me) and before you know it you'll have it splashed :D
Thanks, I really tried to get the glass done well, it's the perfectionist in me.
I've been getting the materials together to start over the last couple of months, I didn't want to get into a stop/ start progress on the build, so I planned ahead as much as possible and got what I needed for the main construction before I started.
Years in trades has taught me to look at the job and sort out the workflow before you start.

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:57 pm
by Jeff
Nice work!!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:18 am
by Typhoon
Today I tackled what will probably be the last difficult job of the build, cutting out buoyancy tank tops and reinforcements. It used all of my remaining brain cells and probably all the talent I have to work it all out! :lol:
Spent a long time thinking about how to reinforce the tank tops and keep it light, but also strong and relatively easy to build.
I settled on this way of doing it as the biax tape holding the reinforcement in place will help stiffen the lid and prevent a hard point. When I fit the tank lids, I'll just put a bead of wood flour adhesive along the bottom of the hull where the reinforcement will sit. Should be more than enough to hold the reinforcement in place.
The tops of the tanks will get some 2" biax all round to hold them in place, plus get glued to the batten on the bulkheads where people sit, plenty strong enough I hope!
IMG_4226.JPG
IMG_4227.JPG
IMG_4228.JPG
IMG_4229.JPG
IMG_4230.JPG
IMG_4231.JPG
IMG_4233.JPG
IMG_4234.JPG

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:18 am
by Typhoon
Got the tank lids bonded in place, went about as well as could be expected. The blind bonding on the bottom of the tank lid support worked out pretty well too.
Also figured out a quick and dirty scarf joint jig so the gunwale joins would come out somewhat similar.
IMG_4235.JPG
IMG_4236.JPG
IMG_4237.JPG
IMG_4238.JPG
IMG_4240.JPG
IMG_4241.JPG

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:08 pm
by jacquesmm
It looks very good but why scarfing the rubrail layers? Stagger the seams and that's it.

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:45 am
by Typhoon
jacquesmm wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:08 pm It looks very good but why scarfing the rubrail layers? Stagger the seams and that's it.
Jacques, the timber I have for the gunwales is around 19mm thick, two layers would be far too thick. I am going to fit an inner and outer gunwale, with the inner spaced maybe 30-40mm to really stiffen up the hull and spread the rowing loads a bit better. The outer gunwale is a tough, hard wood for impact protection and the inner is red cedar, light but strong enough.
Plus, I just really love the look of varnished gunwales and am happy to add a little weight to achieve it. :D
I should also mention, I am amazed how much adding the buoyancy tanks stiffened up the hull. I was expecting a decent improvement, but the boat behaves like one solid piece when you grab the transom and give it a shake.

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:05 am
by jacquesmm
Yes about all those compartments stiffening the boat. In my designs as in most boats, the hull skin is flimsy but by adding frames, soles and decks, we create a very stiff beam. It becomes a strong monocoque structure.
This is not the case of production boats in which the top parts are vaguely glued with putty to the hull.

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:39 pm
by Typhoon
A bit late with this update, life got in the way after the weekend.
I had a scarf joint on one of the gunwale timpers pop open and had to redo it. Was a one off I glued up after the rest of the joints in a rush, I must've mixed the adhesive incorrectly.
Outer gunwales are on and glued, stern knees and breast hook cut and trial fitted and am going to try something a little unusal with the inwales. Going to taper and bond them to the ends of the boat, then splay them out a little towards the rowlocks for added strength with some blocks behind. It looks OK to my eye mocking it up.
My boards for oars also arrived. That will be an interesting project in itself.
IMG_4247.JPG
IMG_4248.JPG
IMG_4250.JPG
IMG_4251.JPG
IMG_4260.JPG
IMG_4261.JPG
IMG_4262.JPG

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:49 am
by Typhoon
Been busy with the boat, but been a bit slack taking photo and posting.
Finished the gunwales up to a good enough stage to put a coat of epoxy on to protect them, and sanded down the interior with 40 then 80 grit. Will revisit the interior with some filler here and there once I've used the filler on the outside of the hull, and I know how it behaves.
Also realised the boat would be much more effective with a middle seat, so reluctantly fitted one of those as well.
Once that was all done, I flipped the boat over onto some lower stands and commenced the job I hate- fairing. Doesn't matter what it is on, it's just a nasty job. Today I got the hull knocked down on the glassed areas with some 40 grit, and iced it up really well with some phenolic microbaloons. I like being able to mix my own filler, can vary the consistency depending on where it is going.
Anyway, it's turning out pretty decent so far and just before flipping the hull, it's still around 41kg, not bad at all considering:
IMG_4268.JPG
IMG_4270.JPG
IMG_4273.JPG
IMG_4274.JPG
IMG_4275.JPG
IMG_4276.JPG
IMG_4277.JPG
IMG_4278.JPG

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:54 pm
by Typhoon
In my excitement to fill the hull, I forgot the skeg. Kind of important! Knocked the filler off around the skeg and bonded it on.
We have a long weekend here this weekend and as work keeps harrassing me about all my accrued leave, I took to extra days off and made it a 5 day weekend. Power sanded the hull today wth 36 grit, will follow up with 80 grit and then primer.
IMG_4279.JPG
IMG_4280.JPG
IMG_4295.JPG

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:25 am
by Fuzz
Save a little of that extra time off for splash day. But until then you are making good use of it :wink:

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:17 pm
by Typhoon
Thanks Fuzz, I tnd to take time off work and well, work! Bad habit of mine.
Last couple of days has been spent rolling a layer of resin over the hull and knocking that down with 180 grit paper on the orbital sander. The 180 grit clogs and loses it's edge pretty quickly, so lots of paper changes. My hands are tingling nicely now as well!
But I managed to convince the better three-quarters to help move the sanded hull out into the sun today for a "post cure bake cycle".
IMG_4298.JPG
IMG_4299.JPG
IMG_4302.JPG

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:46 am
by Fuzz
Are you sure you do not have any amine blush? That would cause the paper to clog quickly. A warm water and soap bath before sanding might be worth a try. I only go to something like 180 grit when close to the end. But no matter how you are doing it the result is sure looking good :wink:

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:14 am
by Typhoon
Fuzz wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:46 am Are you sure you do not have any amine blush? That would cause the paper to clog quickly. A warm water and soap bath before sanding might be worth a try. I only go to something like 180 grit when close to the end. But no matter how you are doing it the result is sure looking good :wink:
Yeah, made very sure of no amine blush, I rinse with very soapy, warm water and a scotchbrite pad. I think it's just the nature of finer papers on fairly fresh epoxy- the epoxy gets warm with the friction and you get tiny clogs all over the paper. To be fair, I did only apply the epoxy maybe 36 hours before I sanded.
This afternoon, I got the boat back in the shed and decided to use up the last of the urethane primer I had left over from the Jag on the hull. One coat rolled on, it's all it will need. Just want a flat, uniform colour rto put topcoat on. It looks very different in primer, almost like I know what I'm doing! :lol:
IMG_4303.JPG
IMG_4304.JPG
IMG_4305.JPG

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:49 pm
by Bogieman
Wow! That looks good

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:50 am
by Netpackrat
Nice. Good call covering up the XJS.

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:03 am
by Jeff
Nice work!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:20 pm
by Fuzz
That is a really nice looking hull :D

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:41 am
by Typhoon
Told myself no more sanding and that the interior would end up however it sanded out. I lied to myself! My inner perfectionist came out and created more work for me, just had to fill the tapes.
IMG_4325.JPG

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:41 am
by Jeff
Nice work!!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:25 am
by jacquesmm
Good job. I love the SG15, great offshore row boat.

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:59 am
by Typhoon
I've never made oars before, but let's have a go! Couldn't find any decent lengths of oar suitable timber locally, so ended up buying a few boards of Monterey cypress, ripping them up and joining the lengths with some clothespeg scarfs. We'll see how it works...
I'll sand the interior tomorrow, hopefully get the interior in primer next week, then decide on colours.
IMG_4327.JPG
IMG_4334.JPG

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:33 pm
by Typhoon
No post for a couple of weeks, but things have been happening.
The interior got primed during the week, I just use a fabric 100mm (4") roller and regular 2k urethane automotive primer, very lightly thinned to reduce roller texture left behind in the finish. It works out very well- fast, easy, high build with one coat, no overspray and leaves a nice finish. I intend to do the interior top coat this way as well, it will be a flat finish and the slight roller texture left behind looks good (and hides small imprefections).
Also kept working on the oars and created a lot more saw dust. Hope I don't end up with a pile of saw dust and no oars!
Today is saturday here in Australia, the outside of the hull is going to be sanded, garage thoroughly cleaned and blown out/ hosed down, and some topcoat applied to the outside of the hull. As always, I didn't sleep too well last night worrying about painting!
IMG_4337.JPG
IMG_4338.JPG
IMG_4339.JPG
IMG_4344.JPG

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:34 am
by Typhoon
This weekend was the weekend. You can chase perfect preparation on small boats forever, but at some stage you just have to give up and paint, accepting the fact they will end up getting knocked around and the paint will look bad anyway!
I decided on very traditional colours for the hull, a very creamy white and a nice powder blue. I am more than happy with the way it all turned out, especially the colours:
IMG_4348.JPG
IMG_4349.JPG
IMG_4350.JPG
IMG_4351.JPG
IMG_4352.JPG
IMG_4355.JPG
IMG_4358.JPG
IMG_4360.JPG
IMG_4361.JPG
IMG_4362.JPG

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:14 am
by Browndog
Sure looks nice!

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:52 am
by Jaysen
Damn!

That’s going to be a dropper of undergarments. Hopefully of the right person and not random strangers. That would be awkward.

What paint system did you use? Looks amazing.

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:58 am
by topwater
Stunning :!: Love that hull shape and the colors really show it off 8)

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:26 pm
by seaslug
Spectacular job all around, and a great paint job to finish it off. I love this hull design, and this beauty should have plans flying off the shelf. Well done, enjoy and post some water shots please.

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:29 pm
by Netpackrat
Forum needs a "like" button.

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:02 am
by Fuzz
topwater wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:58 am Stunning :!: Love that hull shape and the colors really show it off 8)
2X Dang that is NICE!

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:46 am
by Typhoon
Thanks! I was REALLY undecided on colours and am glad I chose this one. I actually made the final blue colour choice last minute, staring at the cans on the shelf.
The paint system is a bitza- the primer was left over Baslac 2k polyurethane primer, the white was Glasurit 22 line single stage polyiurethane I had left over from an Alfa I owned years ago, and the blue was Norglass Northane (also a single stage), which I had never sprayed before, but had used their clear to coat some floorboards. The Northane is a marine specific paint and is tough as nails and has a very long tack free time, to allow for multiple coats on large surfaces. A side benefit of this long tack time is extra time for the film to self level and make my painting look good!
The prep was machine sanding the hull with 180 grit, rolled on a single coat of primer, then machine sanded the primer after two weeks with 280 grit, then top coats.
I just went out and had a look at the boat again, made me grin.

Jaysen wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:52 am Damn!

That’s going to be a dropper of undergarments. Hopefully of the right person and not random strangers. That would be awkward.

What paint system did you use? Looks amazing.

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:09 am
by Jeff
Very well done!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:15 pm
by Typhoon
Put the boat on it's side today to paint the interior and had to take this photo.
Thank you Jacques for designing such a beautiful hull, there is no bad angle to view it from.
IMG_4378.JPG

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:53 pm
by Fuzz
That thing is PRUUUUUUUUUUUUDY. Great color choices

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:47 pm
by Typhoon
Finally got the interior painted and some fittings installed. They may only be inspection ports, but they signify that I'm close to the end.
The oars are also coming along nicely. It is a LOT of work making oars and I made it worse for myself by not buying lumber that was close to final dimensions, but it's been a fun learning curve and I'm probably stupid enough to do it again some day!
I made an oar blade bending jig, the blades are two pieces of 4mm plywood, with the grain at 90 degrees to each other. I put them in the jig, steaming them with a floor steamer mop as I stacked them up and left them for a week. They held the curve quite well.
IMG_4373.JPG
IMG_4383.JPG
IMG_4385.JPG
IMG_4386.JPG
IMG_4387.JPG
IMG_4388.JPG
IMG_4389.JPG

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:16 am
by Netpackrat
Did you go with the non standard seating arrangement just to add the flotation compartments, or were there other reasons?

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:23 am
by pee wee
Sorry if I missed the mention, but it sure looks like you made a hole in the bottom of your boat, and I was wondering why! Is it a drain hole? If so, how do you plan to plug it?

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:31 am
by Typhoon
Netpackrat wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:16 am Did you go with the non standard seating arrangement just to add the flotation compartments, or were there other reasons?
Yes, I added the front and rear buoyancy tanks for floatation and to really stiffen the hull with little weight penalty.
pee wee wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:23 am Sorry if I missed the mention, but it sure looks like you made a hole in the bottom of your boat, and I was wondering why! Is it a drain hole? If so, how do you plan to plug it?
I have a block of cedar on the inside of the hull, shaped to accept a small bung right down on the sole. I'm not worried about the drag that small hole will create on the outside, it will be negligible. But it means that if I leave the boat out right way up in the rain, or when I wash the boat down, it will drain.
I am also counting on the fact that with the buoyancy I have added, if I swamp the boat, I can pull the bung and get rid of most of the water on board simply by allowing the buoyancy tanks to provide buoyancy and help self drain the boat to a certain level. The hole is heavily angled too, I am hoping maybe for a slight venturi effect if I row fast enough, but unlikely!

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:20 am
by Jeff
Nice work!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:51 am
by Typhoon
Put down some left over non skid material on the boat today, used the rest of it on some dog ramps. I think it looks great! It's an EVA foam material with a self adhesive backing. The self adhesive has held up well indoors with dogs on it, we'll see how it goes in the boat.
Also took a photo of the bung for those that are curious.
Finish the oars, sand and clearcoat the brightwork and I think it's done!
IMG_4391.JPG
IMG_4392.JPG
IMG_4393.JPG

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:07 am
by Eric1
Very Nice! Beautiful Build!! :D :D :D

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:49 am
by Jeff
Again, great work!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:38 am
by Netpackrat
That is one nice looking boat.

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:01 pm
by Typhoon
Been working away at the oars this week, wanted to get a coat of resin on them, so I could clear coat the oars and gunwales at the same time.
This weekend I'll also work on a mount for some dolly wheels on the transom, hope to get clear coats started this weekend.
IMG_4398.JPG
IMG_4399.JPG
IMG_4400.JPG
IMG_4401.JPG
IMG_4403.JPG
IMG_4406.JPG

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:15 am
by cape man
Those are gorgeous oars right there!

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:54 am
by OrangeQuest
Very much a nice set of oars.

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:32 am
by Typhoon
This weekend I sorted out how to mount wheels to the transom. I really didn't want them permanently mounted and I didn't want to make a wheeled cradle, as they can be cumbersome.
So, I needed to put a couple of eyes in the transom to lift the boat up into the carport for storage ( I'm hoping to lift is directly on and off the car roof racks for ease of transport) and had been thinking about using them to mount wheels somehow.
I came up with the idea of making a transom plate that hooked over the top and will be secured with a couple of pins through the eye bolts. Seconds to fit and remove, even in the water. The plate will get carpet and rubber on the inside to cushion the boat nicely.
Also got the epoxy on the gunwales sanded out today, epoxy on the oars still just a little soft, so will look at sanding and clearcoats after work during the week.
IMG_4407.JPG
IMG_4408.JPG
IMG_4409.JPG
IMG_4410.JPG

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:09 pm
by Netpackrat
I would put some stainless fender washers under those nuts on the inside.

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:00 am
by Typhoon
Netpackrat wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:09 pm I would put some stainless fender washers under those nuts on the inside.
I considered going with larger washers, but I have 9mm plywood and the intersection of two layers of biax each side in that location. The bolts were also bonded in with epoxy as I installed them, to seal the wood and bond the bolts into the structure. The nuts aren't cranked down super tight either, so very little compression.
They'll only ever be in shear, so I think they'll be fine. Time will tell!

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:21 am
by Jeff
Beautiful work!!! Jeff

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:24 am
by Typhoon
The silly season has slowed me down, but the boat is ready to go. Oars need some leather and I need to finish off my boat loading frame for the car, but it's all just about there. Also sorted out my carport storage, super easy to lift. Still not 100% sure the boat will clear the roller door on the roof racks, but it will be close, and I can work around it easily enough if it doesn't.
Finished off my beach wheels as well, they turned out very nicely, and the boat is easy to move around on them as well!
IMG_4411.JPG
IMG_4426.JPG
IMG_4427.JPG
IMG_4429.JPG
IMG_4430.JPG
IMG_4434.JPG
IMG_4435.JPG

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:53 am
by OrangeQuest
NICE!!! :)

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:19 am
by Dougster
Beautiful :D

Dougster

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:32 am
by pee wee
Looks like the Scilly season has arrived! :lol:

Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:27 am
by Jeff
Nice!!!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:28 pm
by Typhoon
I'm still here, just haven't posted in a long while. We've had some small issues with fires around my area, has made outside work and the idea of being outside exercising quite unpleasant due to smoke. I'll atach a photo or two of the smoke I took in the back yard, this was typical for about two weeks on and off. I've also moved to a new area at work and that's taken quite a bit of my energy learning the new role.
However, I have been working away on the boat and it's ready for the water now. I've built a boat loader out of an old bicycle carrier, scored some genuine Volvo roof racks for the car off Ebay (pretty impressive for a 26 year old car) and leathered the oars up after I decided how I wanted to do that.
Hopefully the next photos I post will be in the water!
81364029_10158255242007446_5725914205614243840_n.jpg
81926979_10158255242137446_5287694436090773504_n.jpg
IMG_4445.JPG
IMG_4448.JPG
IMG_4503.JPG
IMG_4517.JPG