Mattkab's GV13

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Mattkab's GV13

Post by mattkab »

Day 61

Let's drill some holes.

Started by drilling two 1.5" holes along the bulkheads for the chase tubes:

This created a ton of plugs:

Once they were all cut out, I quickly sanded the PVC pipe with 80-grit sandpaper, ran them along the gunnels, and glued them in place with wood flour filets:

Then on both sides of the bulkheads I laminated 4oz cloth:

In a couple hours, all four chase tubes were laminated in place:

Since I was cutting holes, I also cut out the 3" holes necessary to route the heater vent tubes:

I know some of you, especially in the southern US states, laugh at the idea of adding heat to a boat, but in the Pacific Northwest, even in the middle of summer, we will have days (especially mornings) under 60oF. The heater is one of the features I'm most excited about on this build, and will help make this boat truly available for use year-round:
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

GV-13 Build thread & Questions
Previously completed V10 & Launch

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

We put AC in larger boats down here. So if your idea makes us laugh, you can laugh right back.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Wow, never thought about a heater!!!! Pretty cool!!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

What are you using for a heater?

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

I'm using a 2kw diesel "parking heater" like this.

I love these things... I have a 5kw on our 47'er and it keeps the salon and pilothouse toasty year round. I also have one to heat the garage while working on this boat -- it fights the drafts and never gets quite as warm, but definitely improves the temps. I consistently get the garage up to almost 70F, with outside temps in the 40s.
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I would have guessed those heaters are junk based on price alone. They are about 10% of most marine heaters. It is good to know you have had good luck and like them. Price makes it cheap enough to go ahead and try one.

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

They are knock-offs, to be sure. By design they separate the heating element (burn chamber) and the cabin air, so unless there's an actual structural failure, they are very safe. And at that price, it's cheap insurance to just have one wrapped in plastic as a spare.

But the one on my 4788 is running strong after 4 years' use, no issues (and I have a couple CO monitors around the boat, all read 0ppm). The one in my garage is only a year old, but I've run it many times.

Edit: In case anyone else wants to do this, on boat or interior use, throw out the exhaust "muffler" -- it has a hole in it that can release exhaust gases and is designed to be used outside oly! The exhaust pipe also gets VERY hot, so make sure it's far away from anything flammable -- I also wrap them in heat shield tubing made for vehicle exhaust headers. I use stainless ports for both intake and exhaust as well.
Last edited by mattkab on Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

Please post more info as you mount that heater. I think that would be a great fit for my little HMD19. It would certainly make soaking bait in the winter more tolerable and it might help get the wife onboard more often.

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

Cowbro wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:00 pm Please post more info as you mount that heater. I think that would be a great fit for my little HMD19. It would certainly make soaking bait in the winter more tolerable and it might help get the wife onboard more often.
I will, I'm a big proponent of these little heaters.
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I went to your link and first thing I see is "will not ship to Alaska" I am really tired of this crap.