GV11 build Seattle

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jnb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

GV11 build Seattle

Post by jnb »

And so it begins...GV11 quarantine project is officially underway. Got the first sheet of plywood marked up and ready to cut tomorrow. Was going to post a “workshop” photo, but ran out of light.

Although fortunately my workshop isn’t very photo worthy. In fact, it looks a lot like a driveway with the car moved out.

Using Okoume and glassing the bottom with 12 oz biaxial inside and out per Evan’s recommendation. Haven’t decided on other modifications yet. Would like to keep it light enough to car top, so it will probably be pretty bare bones. Although I may think about installing downriggers and rod holders. Would like to get the panels cut so I can get a feel for the space before making any decisions.

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: GV11 build Seattle

Post by mattkab »

Can't wait to watch your progress!

GV-13 in process myself. Where in Seattle are you? I'm in Maple Valley, but still King county.
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

GV-13 Build thread & Questions
Previously completed V10 & Launch

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Great start!! Many fine boats have been built in that same kind of workshop, so we would like pictures!!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

jnb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jnb »

Mattkab, I’m right smack in the middle of Seattle in the Central District.

I would have thought there weren’t many boats getting built in my neighborhood, but there are actually two other boat within a block of here that appear to be home built. We’re one of the lucky blocks in this part of town where the lots are deep enough for full sized driveways.

jnb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jnb »

Here is the "workshop"
IMG_5979.JPG
IMG_5979.JPG (127.37 KiB) Viewed 1235 times

jnb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jnb »

And some things that sort of look like boat parts:
IMG_5980.JPG
IMG_5980.JPG (146.46 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
I used a jigsaw to make the cuts, so they ended up a little wavy on the longer straight lines. Next time I'll get my act together and dig out the circle saw.

jnb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jnb »

Things are moving forward pretty quick, but blue sky has been a DIY affair around here. Made a couple mistake because I was frantically trying to get some things done between weather windows and chasing down soaked instructions blowing away in the wind, but I'm pretty sure it'll float eventually. If anyone wants to feel better about their work, then zoom in on the pic. I'll call it an aspiring workboat finish.
Attachments
Photo May 25, 8 28 47 PM.jpg

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

If they had to be pretty to be usable I would be well and truly f%$&ed. I am betting it will be much better than you are letting on :wink:

jnb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jnb »

I have not been good about updating my progress. I thought I'd be posting more questions as I went along, but have been able to find a ton of info in the archives on here.

Getting pretty close to launching. Working on installing the foam right now, then a little more fairing and installing the hardware and I'll be ready to rock.

My general philosophy on this boat has evolved a bit, and I've conducted quite a few experiments in what happens when you don't follow the conventional wisdom (or basic common sense). This boat is intended in part as a practice run to learn the techniques before I build something bigger and in part to use hard for crabbing, fishing. duck hunting, and other things that tend to beat the hell out of boats. Therefore, I haven't really spend much time fairing and it sure isn't going to be the prettiest boat in the world but I think it'll be strong and serve its purpose.

A few newbie lessons learned the hard way that will hopefully be of use to someone else:

1. It would have been worth spending some time to set up a good workspace. I built the boat under tarps in the driveway, which I wouldn't do again. Needing a good weather window really limited my work days . And I pushed it and worked on some days where everything ended up getting rained on and then I had to wait for everything to dry. Additionally, having to un-tarp and get everything set up every time I wanted to do some work wasted a lot of time. Not spending time setting up a good workspace proved to be a false economy. It would have been worth spending a couple day setting up a temporary shelter, lights, and shelves.

2. Building in the dark is a bad idea. I've got a young kid, so I typically only worked on the boat after he went to bed at 7:30. This meant I typically worked from about 8:00 until dark. My neighbor's house is close by (5 feet away) so I didn't want to use a flood light after dark and I'd estimate about 1/2 the hours I've spend on the boat involved a flashlight. Often times this meant trying to finish things and put tools away after dark. This caused me to rush through some things. It also means that there there are probably about a thousand gnats laminated in my boat.

3. Don't cheap out on tools. I wish I had a better sander and an angle grinder. Would have saved a ton of time and led to a much cleaner boat.

4. Quick fair (or some other fairing compound) is worth it. I tried do all the fairing with wood flour thickened epoxy up until a couple weeks ago. Then I bought some quick fair just to try it out. Now I feel like an idiot for not using it from the start.

5. Wear long sleeves. Epoxy burns are no joke. Neither are fiberglass splinters.

6. Only try to get a realistic amount done in each session. If you rush you'll screw stuff up and it will take longer in the end.
Photo Jun 08, 5 12 09 PM.jpg
Photo Jun 20, 9 04 54 AM.jpg
Photo Jul 02, 8 48 09 PM.jpg
Photo Sep 04, 7 59 28 PM.jpg

jnb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jnb »

Also, a couple questions regarding foam:

I'm putting two sheets of 2 inch XPS on each side of each bench, per the specs. I ended up with some gaps, which I filled with an XPS safe adhesive. The hardware store ran out of loctite foamboard adhesive, so I used liquid nails extreme heavy duty, which the label says is ok for foamboard. Planning on putting a think layer of fiberglass cloth on top to avoid the foam getting beat up.

The specs call for some foam under the front seat as well--I think I should be positively buoyant with an 85 pound engine and a modest amount of gear with just the benches?

Also, I left some space at the bottom of each piece so water can still drain under the seat. However, in that hole there is some space around the plywood frame and between the sheets of foam. Should I be worried about moisture working its way in here an getting moldy? I'm always going to store upside down on dry land and the frame is coated in epoxy so I'm not worried about rot, but it seems like this space will inevitably get damp and get gross?