Bobob's V10 Sailing Isolation Build - Brisbane, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Bobob
New Poster
New Poster

Bobob's V10 Sailing Isolation Build - Brisbane, Australia

Post by Bobob »

After wanting to build a boat for a very long time, I finally got the chance (my wife agreed) when isolation happened. As frustrating as it's been to not be able to go to the hospital (I'm a medical student on a surgery rotation), it's been lots of fun to build the V10 with my son. I've cheated a little bit, as I've repurposed some windsurfing gear as an easy test rig to see how it sails - depending on those results, the rig may be subject to change.

I wanted to build the V10 as I personally greatly prefer the looks of V-shaped hulls, and if I'm taking it out on Moreton Bay near Brisbane, being able to cut through the chop a little will be advantageous. I'm really pleased with the plans, although I found the BOM and build time estimate to be off. Because I'm in Australia, I can't easily source some of the recommended epoxies which may be partially why.

I've posted a full build log so far with >100 images and captions here: https://fearthecow.net/guest/building-a-boat/. It's almost finished - I'm posting this now to procrastinate as I have exams next week!

Here's an image of where it's currently up to as of today. One more coat of blue, and then just the ports/hatches, rigging, rudder, tiller, and centreboard to install (they're build and painted). I'm now on a launch deadline for next Friday with two major exams in the middle, so I'm under the pump, but should make it.

Rob

See my V10 Build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=65033
See a complete V10 blog here: https://fearthecow.net/guest/building-a-boat/

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Bobob's V10 Sailing Isolation Build - Brisbane, Australia

Post by cape man »

And poof! There's a boat! Beautiful!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Congratulations to a beautiful built V10 and the speed record in building it you definitely broke. Corona has its good sides it lets boats appear within a few weeks and the birds and bumble bees in my garden are multiplying themselves just as fast in fantastic smelling air because of hardly any cars before the house.
Greetings from Karl and sunny Austria
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Bobob
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Bobob »

And poof! There's a boat! Beautiful!
Thanks - there's been a fair bit of pressure involved from the senior surgeons giving tutorials over Zoom. One very senior urologist wanted an update on what I'd achieved at the start of every tutorial!

It's been a very fun project, and a big thanks to everyone on the forum - I really haven't needed to post as pretty much every question I had was already answered here. I thought that I should still put up my log in case it helps other people in the future.

And I hope that all is well in both Florida and Austria too - we've been very fortunate with COVID in Australia. While it's annoying to not be able to go out much, I got to build a boat!
Rob

Bobob
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Bobob »

I should also mention that the colours are the choice of my 3 year old, who is currently obsessed with Blippi (a YouTube entertainer who dresses in blue and orange). I would have gone for more traditional workboat green/cream, but you've got to pick your battles.

My wife decided to do up a model one day, so I shrunk the plans showing how to place each section on each sheet of plywood onto A4. My 3yo then instructed my wife where to paint each colour, and which colours he wanted from a Norglass Marine Paint brochure. If he's this strong-willed now... :roll:

Rob

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I can vouch for the V handling chop well. Heck, I’m the idiotic type that takes a v12 right into the ocean. Lil Bit eats it up and makes me smile every time.

The only thing I found you need to make sure you didn’t miss when sailing in lumps is the cleats on top of the dagger board. With a load on board the peaks may hit the top of the trunk giving you a glorious fountain inside the boat. A 1/2” wide lip all around the trunk will seal it up nicely and prevent the V from being a floating wading pool.

Your V10 looks great. I actually think the colors aren’t bad. I’m sure you’ll enjoy your V quite a bit. Just be ready to spend time talking about your boat at the launch and anytime you aren’t moving. It’s a nice problem to have.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Bobob
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Bobob »

Thanks for your advice Jaysen:
The only thing I found you need to make sure you didn’t miss when sailing in lumps is the cleats on top of the dagger board. With a load on board the peaks may hit the top of the trunk giving you a glorious fountain inside the boat. A 1/2” wide lip all around the trunk will seal it up nicely and prevent the V from being a floating wading pool.
I'm not sure how well it'll work yet, but I've added a lip around the daggerboard and a progressive wedge to hopefully fix it in the slot. I thought that this could be an issue. I've also got a cover for when I'm rowing.

First the daggerboard - extra wedge added in for a snug fit, and a piece of meranti with a hole cut in it to sit flush on the middle seat:

And a cover plate instead for when I'm rowing that has a little wedge to stick in firmly:

Rob

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

You’ve got it covered! Looks great! Now we need to see some pics of her on the water!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Bobob
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Bobob »

And we've launched! No wind today, but went for a row.

It rows well with surprisingly little effort. Ian had lots of fun rowing with both myself and his grandfather. Thanks to Jacques for designing such a nice boat!

Ready to go:

The two builders out for a row:

Taking a ride with his grandfather:

I'm sure that we're going to continue to have lots of fun with this boat. It's been lots of fun. As soon as there's enough wind, I'll get a sailing photo uploaded too.
Rob

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Congrats Bobob!! She looks great!! Glad to see you son enjoying her as well!! Jeff