SK14 in TX

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: SK14 in TX

Post by AggieGirl »

Thanks everybody. Looked at the boat during lunch and found a bad spot.... As I was getting towards the end last night, I needed to wet out one last section of fiberglass. I knew my epoxy was getting really hot and that I probably shouldn't use it. But I used it anyways and the fiberglass didn't get fully wetted. It looks like the epoxy became a gel and the fiberglass is dry below.

I am really concerned about this and kicking myself for not making more epoxy. I think I need to sand it off and put a patch fiberglass piece here which is going to be a nightmare to fair....

Picture included below. Advice on this would be great!
IMG-4022.jpg

AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AggieGirl »

I have also been using a bubble roller to smooth out the fiberglass as I've been working. The problem is that the epoxy dries on the roller and salvaging them is hard. Do others use a bubble roller? If so, how are y'all cleaning them?
IMG-4026.jpg

Thanks for all the help and encouragement thus far!! I am really learning a lot and enjoying this project. Gig 'em

AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AggieGirl »

Fuzz, I like the idea to chamfer the rubrail. I was actually thinking that edge looked really sharp as I was working on the fiberglass! How do you think I should do this? I am thinking I could do it with a plane but I'm not sure how well I would be able to do it by hand...

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

AggieGirl wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:09 pm I have also been using a bubble roller to smooth out the fiberglass as I've been working. The problem is that the epoxy dries on the roller and salvaging them is hard. Do others use a bubble roller? If so, how are y'all cleaning them? IMG-4026.jpg

Thanks for all the help and encouragement thus far!! I am really learning a lot and enjoying this project. Gig 'em
Boats looking good!

Reid told me his trick the other day and it worked great. :D Some of it is my adaptation...

Use a 2 gallon paint bucket that has a lid. I poured a half gallon of denatured alcohol in and then between use on the job, leave in the bucket. I noticed that swishing it around when I put it in the bucket and before pulling it out worked to keep it clean. Before using it on the same job, shake it off for 10 - 20 seconds and it's reasy for use.

After you're done for the day, make sure to swish it good and clean then put it away. Put the lid on the bucket and it keeps the alchohol from evaporating.

Thanks Reid for the tip! :wink:

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

On the rubrail either a router or a hand plane would work.
Sorry to say but the bad spot needs to come off. If it is that dry it is not stuck very well. Make your patch just a little bigger and then sand off the high spots. No more than what you have it will not take much to sand it smooth. Don't beat yourself up over the boo-boo, we all make them time to time, and that is not all that bad :wink: Better to learn on something easy to fix :D

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

If your bubble buster has dried/set epoxy on it you can get it loose with heat, either a heat gun or a torch. Best done outside for good ventilation, get it hot and the epoxy will soften and fail.
Hank

AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AggieGirl »

Fiberglass patch got done last night. The deck and transom got glassed tonight. Pictures below.
IMG-4098.jpg
62208084637--311BA63F-B09C-4376-B010-7370ADADD0AC.JPG
62207868340--C54A78B3-A54B-49FD-B777-EB6F4AEDDFBB.JPG

Looking ahead, I will be fairing soon. What consistency should I be going for when mixing the fairing compound? Thanks everybody!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

What fairing compound are you asking about? The BBC mix or something like Quickfair? If the BBC then the old master always liked to use a pretty lose mix for the first pass. Larry felt like it filled the weave better that way. The following passes need to be stiff enough to not be runny and sag on you.

Reklus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Reklus »

AggieGirl wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:16 pm Fuzz, I like the idea to chamfer the rubrail. I was actually thinking that edge looked really sharp as I was working on the fiberglass! How do you think I should do this? I am thinking I could do it with a plane but I'm not sure how well I would be able to do it by hand...
Id say rounding any edges (at least most) is gonna be a good idea ... Airplane make quick work - then just clean up with paper 👍 looks great

dillpicklepatch
New Poster
New Poster

Post by dillpicklepatch »

Very nice work, i hope i can do as well on mine. I have to ask, does everyone glass the Sole like that? i see it gets a coat of epoxy resin but fiberglass too?