SK14 in TX

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: SK14 in TX

Post by BB Sig »

dillpicklepatch wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:49 pm Very nice work, i hope i can do as well on mine. I have to ask, does everyone glass the Sole like that? i see it gets a coat of epoxy resin but fiberglass too?
Dill,

You may not understand this but...

I wish they would include with the plans an "as designed" list of materials and then a "Cracker Larry" list of materials! The CL was a gifted and beloved longtime forum member that built boats that were amazing and amazingly tough.

Put 4oz woven on the deck! :lol:

AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AggieGirl »

dillpicklepatch wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:49 pm Very nice work, i hope i can do as well on mine. I have to ask, does everyone glass the Sole like that? i see it gets a coat of epoxy resin but fiberglass too?
Hey Dillpicklepatch, I saw your thread and I am excited to watch you build. If you are putting in the work to mow lawns to pay for your materials, I have no doubt that you will put in the work to build an outstanding boat.

For the sole, fiberglass is not required but I think it is a good idea to put a layer of glass on there. I am planning to fish and duck hunt out of this boat so the sole will get a lot abuse. My mindset with this build has been to overbuild rather than risking it being underbuilt.

dillpicklepatch
New Poster
New Poster

Post by dillpicklepatch »

OK, Great, the plan for my boat is the same, Bay fishing Texas coast, Duck hunting Texas coast. i am going to need a tough boat too. Thank you all for the reply. I am sorry to hear Cracker Larry is no longer with us. I see his post on old threads when i look through them for tips and instruction.

AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AggieGirl »

Here are some pictures of the progress. I need to do one last piece of fiberglass on the upper deck where the hatch goes and then the fairing and painting begins. Planning to begin tackling that this weekend.
IMG-4152.jpg
IMG-4153.jpg
IMG-4154.jpg
IMG-4155.jpg
123215.jpg

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Looks rock solid to me---you'll love using it. Good luck on the fairing. The sanding gets tedious but is well worth it. Have you decided on paint yet?

Dougster

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

AggieGirl, Really nice work!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Jeff wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:29 pm AggieGirl, Really nice work!!! Jeff
2x :D

AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AggieGirl »

Thanks everybody! I remembered last night that I need to put a keel on the bottom... I’m not sure what dimensions (height, width, length) it should be or how many? I’ve seen some people do just one and others do multiple. I’ve also seen a variety of shapes and sizes. Any recommendations?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

This is what Dougster did
https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.ph ... 5&start=70
Pretty sure some of the others will chime in.

AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AggieGirl »

Well, haven't posted much lately but the fairing is under way. The bottom of the boat is faired and I am working on the top. First layer of fairing for the deck went on last night. Here are some pictures.
62510740118--A2481BEC-3938-4D02-8CA7-B7D72E18929A.jpg
62450736537--43F56A75-AE2E-45D4-AAB0-48A07282A001.jpg

Also finally got the motor... pretty excited about this. Big time motivation to finish the build!!!!
IMG-4318.jpg
IMG-4317.jpg