SK14 in TX

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SK14 in TX

Post by Reid »

AggieGirl,

Fuzz is absolutely right! Probably not what you want to hear but you need to get spacing in between EVERY panel. You don't want any wood touching wood, you want a small gap so the fillet can do its job. I would start over, cut the zip ties, and add some spacers. I think you will see the gap the bow come together a little better. When you start to re-stitch, start tightening a little at a time, working your way from front to back. Take your time, make sure everything lines up and has some spacing. Remember, the cleaner you work in the beginning the better off you will be later in the build. It's funny how little imperfections can compound later in the build (I think almost every builder on this Forum can attest to that).

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Yes what Fuzz and Reid say. It's no big deal and easy. Take an hour. Like Fuzz said, cut a zip, stick in a spacer (nail, popsicle stick, etc. between it and the next zip. Replace cut zip, move on to the next one, repeat process right down the panel. No problem. Then work a bit more with the bow and it'll close some more, though you could make what you have there now work.

Dougster

AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AggieGirl »

Ok, so I added spacers along the seams as everyone suggested. I ended up slipping a zip tie between the stitches to get some space between the panels. When I did this, the bow came together a lot better. Restarting and being patient was definitely a good decision.

Here are some photos of the new stitching.
bow stitch 1.jpeg
bow stitch 2.jpeg
bow stitch 3.jpeg
bow stitch 4.jpeg
Everything lined up much, much better this time.

Went ahead and added the epoxy to these seams.

Here's step one of this process. Added epoxy between the stitches.
spot weld 2.jpeg

Step two was removing the zip ties and sanding any build ups. After this, I added the epoxy to the rest of the seam. Here's a photo of that.
full epoxy.jpeg

I am going to let that dry tonight and tomorrow I will sand and fiberglass.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Very good work!

Are you going to power this boat and if yes, what with?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

It looks a lot better!

I noticed you said epoxy. Did you mix any wood flour in it?

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I am very happy to see what you did. It will make your life much better. As said you need wood flour glue fillets to hold things together when you cut the ties. If the bow panels are under a lot of stress you may need to use some glass tape also. When you are working on the bow if there is a large gap you can fill it with wood glue and then shape it with a sander. Some of the best looking bows have been done that way.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Well I see I did not pay enough attention to the photos :oops: You already have the ties removed and it is still together :D Good job and it is on to the taping. It is hard to see but if the seams are rough or have low spots you can lay a small would flour fillet over them and as soon as it firms up just a little put your glass down.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Nicely done.

AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AggieGirl »

The interior seams are fiberglassed!! First thing we did was roll out the fiberglass and cut the pieces. Then we mixed the epoxy and wet all the seams. Then we rolled out the fiberglass, added extra epoxy to ensure the pieces were totally saturated, and smoothed out any bubbles or wrinkles. I checked it this morning and everything looked good. It was basically dry and I should be able to trim up the overhang after work. Here are some pictures.

The whole boat
IMG_3405.JPG

The bow
IMG_3404.JPG

The transom
IMG_3401.JPG
The puzzle piece joints
IMG_3403.JPG

AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AggieGirl »

Yes, I will be powering this boat. I have not decided if I want a 6 hp or an 8 hp motor yet. If I remember correctly, the plans say 8 hp is the maximum.