SK14 in TX

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: SK14 in TX

Post by AggieGirl »

I've made progress since my last post. The frame is in the boat and fiberglassed. Currently working on the cleats to hold the deck. This is taking some time because I only have so many clamps. Photos included below.

Here is the frame fiberglassing.
frame fiberglass 1.jpeg

Here is the frame fiberglassing in the front compartment. I wanted to be able to get to the entire area with one hatch opening.
frame fiberglass 2.jpeg

Here is the beginnings of the cleats for the deck. Should be able to finish this in a few days and keeping moving forward.
cleats 1.jpeg
cleats 2.jpeg

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Looks really good! I love the look of cedar!

No one ever has enough clamps when you need them and have to many when you don't need them (take up space)
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Your work looks good. You have made great progress.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Good job! :D

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Nice clean work for sure. Where is that PVC drain in the bow going? That area is all foam in mine and no place for water. My sole is completely sealed with foam underneath. Kinda like a really thick surfboard.

Dougster

AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AggieGirl »

Well I have not been very consistent with posting on here but progress is still being made on the boat! Since last post, all the cleats have been added. Along the stringers, I doubled up and put cleats on both sides. On the sides of the boat, we decided to use the dado blade so the cleats would curve easily with the boat. I think there is still plenty of surface area on those cleats for the deck to attach. The process was pretty easy once we got going. Basically it was cut the cleat, epoxy, clamp, and repeat.

dado 1.jpeg
dado 5.jpeg
dado 2.jpeg
dado 3.jpeg

This morning we started the foam but ran out before we finished. The first compartments got a lot of foam and totally overflowed. We weren't sure how much it would expand. I'll be ordering more foam this week to finish it out.
foam 2.jpeg

I've had lots of help so far. All my siblings have pitched in at some point which has been fun! Of course my pup Sunny (boykin spaniel) keeps me company too! Gig 'Em.

sunny.jpg

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I like to use a hand saw that is long enough to span the stringers to cut the extra foam off. You can put the cut offs into the next compartment to help fill it.
Are you sure this is your first boat? Your glass work is really good for a first time builder :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Mary says “Hello cousin” to Sunny. Mary refuses to get into the water or the boat. She’s a slightly broken water dog.

My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress AggieGirl!!! Jeff

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Looking good, nice progress and good looking helper!

I don't know if you plan to foam the outer compartments, but consider at least clamping a temporary rub rail to the sheer to hold the shape for when you do work on the sides. At least one builder had difficulty regaining a fair line after pouring foam.
Hank