Plyak12 build by gbgb

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Plyak12 build by gbgb

Post by Jeff »

Very nice work!!!! Jeff

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Love the vents.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

gbgb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gbgb »

Last layer of coaming complete. It took several days of short sessions - since I am using 4mm ply, I had to put 3 layers and I have enough clamps for only half the perimeter at a time.

IMG_20200902_105347.jpg

Used the extra epoxy from each gluing for the fill layer of the deck, so the deck finish is nearly complete. It is hard to control the flow of epoxy when doing the fill layers when the surface is not horizontal, so I will work on each flat side per session - this will also take some time.

Except for assembling the lip for the hatch cover it is now really all finish work.

Sill not sure about the footrests. I received the parts - the foot rest itself is rather small so it does not protrude much towards the center ine, which feels to me as a position where the feet will be too spread apart. Will make another check after finishing the outside, when I will do the final touches for the cockpit.

~3 hours

gbgb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gbgb »

The recent days have been terribly hot (forecast the same till the end of this week) - above 30 before the sun rises and almost touching 40 in midday, so I did most of the finishing work in very short sessions of epoxying and sanding. But it is almost complete:

Final sanding after the epoxy fill coats
IMG_20200906_102000.jpg
Final epoxy layer
IMG_20200906_123640.jpg
And the hatch cover is also complete
IMG_20200906_123724.jpg
What remains is final sanding, followed by clear 2 parts polyurethane finish. Have to improvise a painting chamber.

~6 hours
Last edited by gbgb on Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Super clean work! Great job!

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Looking good!

gbgb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gbgb »

Project complete, roughly as scheduled (well, there will always be place for some improvements, but it can go to sea now).
IMG_20200912_135859.jpg
IMG_20200912_135918.jpg
My spray painting technique requires a bit of improvement, but generally I am satisfied with the results. Once the varnish hardens I may try to use some extra fine sanding and polish to fix some errors.

Decided not to purchase plastic handles - made them of wood dowels and 8mm spliced rope.

Also printed the squares that secure the hatch cover straps to the deck (will probably change them to round - I think it will look nicer).

Did not install the foot rests - this will wait for the sea trial. Since I made the cockpit opening smaller than the plans, at the moment I can brace myself with the shins against the coaming - surely not a long term solution, but will let me paddle a bit a get the feel of it before I make my decision.

For the scuppers, I think I will design and print through hulls that can be closed.

Next summer it may be the D5 or the PK78 as a tender for my sailboat.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Nice! Enjoy!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Beautiful build. Well done! :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Well done, she is a beauty!! Jeff