Plyak12 build by gbgb

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gbgb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Plyak12 build by gbgb

Post by gbgb »

Progress is a bit slow the last few days - weather is too hot and the shipment of the accessories I ordered from Amazon will arrive only by the end of the month beginning of September.
After the discussion about the footrests (in the technical forum section) decided to order commercial footrests. Not sure I will use them, but they do not cost too much and I prefer to have them rather than wait too long for them.
Ordered fishing poles inserts as well, although fishing is not one of my major uses, but a place to securely put a pole is always good (light, radar reflector).

Meanwhile found a perfect occupation for hot days in an air conditioned environment - I got a new 3d printer last week. So following another technical discussion about vents, I decided to make them myself - actually what I made are vented drain plugs (a drain plug with a small hole in the cap. I know I could probably buy commercial plugs and drill a small hole in them, but then where's the fun?). Designed the parts with Freecad (was a bit of a challenge to design the threads to match correctly - the first version simply did not work)
IMG_20200818_100121.jpg
IMG_20200818_100054.jpg
This is a PLA prototype - not suitable for water/sun environment. Ordered ASA filament to make the final version. Will make some minor changes to the final version - enlarge the mounting flange, the cap handle will be thicker so there will be a hole instead of this slotted handle and a correction for the space that hold the seal.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Those are sweet!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Nice job! What printer did you get?

gbgb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gbgb »

Nice job! What printer did you get?
Creality Ender 3

gbgb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gbgb »

Cockpit is nearly complete.
Fillet to all edges and epoxied all surfaces.
Installed a thickening plate where the scupper may be opened (not decided yet).
Installed the side deck knees.
Seat should arrive within several days at which point I will install its anchoring points back plates and will make the final decision about the footrest.
IMG_20200819_182133.jpg
Had some extra epoxy so went ahead and glued the back plates for the deck fittings.
IMG_20200819_182206.jpg
Got the ASA filament so will try to print my vents in the next few days - a bit more complicated than PLA so it will probably will require several attempts.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress!!! Jeff

gbgb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gbgb »

Well, it is definitely a kayak (looked more like a canoe till now).
Seat arrived so I was able to install the backing plate for its straps. Footrests still did not arrive and if I decide to install them it will require some work inside the cockpit, but access is not restricted.
Assembled the deck to the hull. When the epoxy cured sanded and fared everything to prepare it for glassing the deck. Found some small voides - will fill and sand them before glassing.
From now on it is mainly finish work - so far roughly as scheduled
20200826_Deck_Installation.jpg
20200826_deck_Installed.jpg
~6 hours
Last edited by gbgb on Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!! Jeff

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Looks great!

gbgb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gbgb »

Glassed the deck last evening.
20200828_Deck_Glassed.jpg
Also, after spending some time figuring out the way to print with ASA, put the printer to work last night and this morning had a set of vented drain plugs.
20200828_Vented_Plaugs_Ver.2.jpg
Next - cockpit coaming and a fill layer on the deck

~1.5 hours
Last edited by gbgb on Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.