SK14 metric plans query

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
SeanP
New Poster
New Poster

SK14 metric plans query

Post by SeanP »

First-time poster, moderate time lurker here. After some research, day-dreaming, night-dreaming, and a healthy look around the interwebs I finally took the plunge and bought the plans for the SK14 as it ticks a lot of boxes for me (as it probably does for many of you, hence why I'm here).

I'm a transplanted American living in SW London, UK. Maker/carpenter/joiner by trade and have a small workshop on an island in the middle of the Thames where I make furniture, fit out house boats, and generally make things that people like to pay me for. (so a boat comes in handy and helps me manage my fishing addiction). Being in the UK I have embraced the metric system and use it every day (hence the metric plans).

Have my materials in hand (and some expected today and tomorrow in the post) and am eager to get going. Started laying out my station lines on ply last night and noticed a small discrepancy between real life and paper on the plan for the bottom panel.

QUESTION:
Drawing A317/9 shows 8 stations (let's number them 1-8 from stern to bow for clarity with an intermediate station between station 7 & 8 which I will call 7.5). During layout I have an issue with fairness with station 7 which shows a measurement 297mm from baseline. An actual dimension that seems to produce a fair line here for me (using stations 5, 6, 7.5 and, 8 ) is 322mm from baseline which is a discrepency of 25mm (which seems suspiciously close to 1 inch). Can anyone give me clarification on this before moving forward? I can take and answer in either metric or imperial if someone is sitting idly by with a set of imperial plans waiting to be helpful.

Thanks for having such a great resource here and I'm sure I will have a question or two before this is all finished.

Sean

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: SK14 metric plans query

Post by OrangeQuest »

Hi Sean! Welcome to the forum.

I can not help you with your question other than point you in the right direction.

The section you posted it in is for talking about your build (brag) and how it is going. For your question to get the eyes of people like the designer it would need to be posted in the "PLANS AND BUILDING" section.

Good luck on your build and we like lots of pictures!
Ken J
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

SeanP
New Poster
New Poster

Re: SK14 metric plans query

Post by SeanP »

Ah, Thanks Ken. Will be sure to brag here a bit later.