SK14 build in Louisiana

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: SK14 build in Louisiana

Post by VT_Jeff »

Cforester821 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:46 am How much fairing compound should I get for the SK14? What brand do y’all recommend?
I really like the quckfair. I started with a 1 quart kit, blew through that pretty quickly and got a 3 quart kit. I'm still working through that but I suspect I'll use it all before I'm done. That's on a FS14LS+10%
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Quick Fair would work really nice in our case. You don't have very "aggressive" cloth to fair so you will need less fairing compound than if you were fairing in 12oz. Quick Fair is nice because it can be hand sanded in 3 hours and mechanically sanded in 4 hours (times vary depending on curing conditions). It is also very easy to spread on and easy to sand. Depending on how clean you have been with your glass work, a 3 quart kit should do it.

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Cforester821
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cforester821 »

Some update pics
Attachments
6D20D0D1-56EE-4168-83D0-3AFCB8E56B44.jpeg
5AEA17A4-0A3B-42C5-BBC3-EFCA23F3C0DF.jpeg