FL14 in Wyoming

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FL14 in Wyoming (+10%)

Post by gstanfield »

Larry B wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:34 am
gstanfield wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:59 am
Larry B wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:42 am Hey George,
How you doing? Still think of you everytime I think of riding up that way. You still at the same place?
Sure good to see you back :D
Larry B
Larry!!! It’s good to hear from you my friend. I’m still in the same place, be sure to holler next time you’re headed up and we’ll get together for a bite. Life has been good to me lately. How’s things down in your neck of the woods?
George,
Things are going great here in Arizona, although a bit hot at times.
Glad to hear life has been good to you. I'll be sure to look you up, If you still have the same cell number I still have it on my phone.
Thats a great buy on that Honda motor.
I'll try to get up that way this next year on my bike.
Have a good one and looking forward to whatever you decide to build :D
Still the same number; 6878. Have a great day.

G
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Fuzz wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:21 am Very nice motor. I would say you dang near stole it :D I never seem to have that kind of luck.
Yeah, I was happy with the purchase. Auctions can be crazy, sometimes you can get stuff cheap and other times it sells for twice what it’s worth.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Since we're supposed to get snow and temps as low as -4F this week I guess it'll be the perfect time to start cutting frames, just so long as the pellet stove will keep the shop warm enough to tolerate!

Meanwhile, allow me to share a bit about the boat's purpose in life. As my family has grown we bought a 5th wheel toy hauler and spend as much time as possible in the mountains each summer, particularly the Bighorn Mountains of northern Wyoming as well as spring trips to Moab. We always take along our plastic kayaks along with my cedar strip canoe and I decided to build a boat that fits in the camper which is what brought me back to the FL14 again. Well, that and having an extra set of plans!

Here's a few pics of our usual paddling areas:

We won't be giving up on paddling anytime soon, but it's nice to have options so this one is being built specifically for our camping trips. I'm sure it'll get used a few times a year to float fish the North Platte river, but mostly I use my canoe for that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great place and looks like some very happy kids!!!! Love seeing them outside in nature!!! Jeff

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

We have the side panels cut out. This Roseburg marine ply isn't great, but it's better than the cheaper exterior stuff I used last time and this time it'll get glassed inside and out so it should suffice for what the boat is getting used for.

The kids had fun helping measure and draw lines. I'll snap another pic once we go back out to lay some epoxy and glass. I'm doing fiberglass butts instead of butt blocks, it just looks nicer in my opinion.

Last edited by gstanfield on Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Fiberglass butts are now curing, tomorrow we should be able to flip the panels over and repeat which means Sunday we should be able to start stitching it together into something boat shaped. With the temps being single digit above and below zero (Fahrenheit) my wood pellet stove in able to keep the shop heated to around 60 degrees so the epoxy takes a little longer to cure. I do keep it stored in the house which helps, but I'll still err on the side of patient to avoid an irritating mistake.

If you look closely you can see that I have the panels nailed to the sacrificial plywood underneath. I did this to hold them lined up properly while glassing them together. I've learned from past projects that it helps a lot of your sheets can't move while you are trying to get them glued together. That was one of those "irritating mistakes" that cost me a day's productivity.
Last edited by gstanfield on Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

For some reason I do not see the pictures.
-1f this early in the year sucks! Is this normal for where you are?

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:21 pm For some reason I do not see the pictures.
Do the pictures show now? I hosted smaller versions on here, going forward I'll use a different host site. It was much easier back when I had my own site and could host unlimited photos, then I quit paying to keep my site up and the photobucket fiasco hit and since then I've just been using whatever the forums provide.

It's pretty normal for Wyoming, we usually see the first snow sometime in September, winter teases us a bit then hits hard by late October and spring starts to tease around mid April then the last snow is usually late May or early June although the mountains can see snow any day of the year.
Last edited by gstanfield on Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

gstanfield wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:50 pm
That's odd, they show for me. I'll see if it's a setting where they're hosted.
The google URL you are using requires you to set the photo to be “public”. From memory o believe that is in properties/settings and “everyone can read”.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:54 pm
gstanfield wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:50 pm
That's odd, they show for me. I'll see if it's a setting where they're hosted.
The google URL you are using requires you to set the photo to be “public”. From memory o believe that is in properties/settings and “everyone can read”.
That's what I figured it to be. I changed it for now so hopefully they show up.