FL14 in Wyoming

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

FL14 in Wyoming

Post by gstanfield »

Howdy all, I'm back once again.

About ten years ago I joined, built a FL14, then a NC16, then a few other boats from other designers in other construction methods. Lots of things have happened in the last decade so I'll fast forward until today. I'm back with the bug to build again and since I had two sets of plans for the FL14, it's time to build the second boat to replace the one I initially built (long story, but it died a horrible chainsaw related death)

The reason for choosing the FL is that it was a great little craft, lightweight and will work great with either an electric or my Honda 2HP gas and best of all, it'll fit inside my toy hauler 5th wheel when we go camping in the mountains. In fact, I'll have a bit of room to spare so I'm probably going to stretch it a slight amount since the nesting allows such without buying anymore wood.

No pictures for now, but I wanted to pop back in and say howdy and start a thread. I have no idea how many of the old gang are still around. Sadly, some have passed on and no doubt others have drifted away with the tides, but if anyone out there was around in the 2010-2013 era then it's good to see you again. For those who came after, it's good to meet you.

George
Last edited by gstanfield on Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FL14 in Wyoming (+10%)

Post by piperdown »

Nice to meet you and looking forward to seeing pics of the build!

Never been further north in WY except over by the east entrance for Yellowstone. Uncle (now his kids) run a large ranch just outside of La Grange WY (just a bit north and east of Cheyenne). Many, many back and forth trips along I80 over the years between Idaho (grew up) and Kansas (where I live now).
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Welcome back George!! Look for ward to your build!!! Jeff

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Yeah, I remember you. Glad to see you back.

Dougster

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Thanks for the welcomes. My plywood is ordered and will be here next week sometime so hopefully I can pick it up when I am in Casper teaching a motorcycle class next weekend.

In the meantime I took my plans and converted the dimensions to the slightly longer length. The parking area of my toy hauler is 16'1" long and by my calculations this version will end up around 15' 4-1/2" long which will be just perfect.

I'll post more when something actually happens, but in the meantime I did manage to get the shop ready for the build and my kids are excited to help. The girls vaguely remember use having a boat when they were real small, but no details. Mainly they remember our kayaks and canoes that we have ben using the last few years and the pontoon boat which they like to play on while it's parked out behind my shop.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Hey George,
How you doing? Still think of you everytime I think of riding up that way. You still at the same place?
Sure good to see you back :D
Larry B
Completed: FL14, OD18

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Larry B wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:42 am Hey George,
How you doing? Still think of you everytime I think of riding up that way. You still at the same place?
Larry B
Larry!!! It’s good to hear from you my friend. I’m still in the same place, be sure to holler next time you’re headed up and we’ll get together for a bite. Life has been good to me lately. How’s things down in your neck of the woods?

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Propulsion will be either my 40lb thrust electric or this little Honda, depending upon the rules at the particular body of water. I picked this Honda up two weeks ago at an estate auction for $108 and it’s been stored indoors since new and came with all the original sales papers, manuals, sales brochures, the stand a Honda cover and a gas can. It runs great and starts with one pull of the rope.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Very nice motor. I would say you dang near stole it :D I never seem to have that kind of luck.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

gstanfield wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:59 am
Larry B wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:42 am Hey George,
Larry B
Larry!!! It’s good to hear from you my friend. I’m still in the same place, be sure to holler next time you’re headed up and we’ll get together for a bite. Life has been good to me lately. How’s things down in your neck of the woods?
George,
Things are going great here in Arizona, although a bit hot at times.
Glad to hear life has been good to you. I'll be sure to look you up, If you still have the same cell number I still have it on my phone.
Thats a great buy on that Honda motor.
I'll try to get up that way this next year on my bike.
Have a good one and looking forward to whatever you decide to build :D
Completed: FL14, OD18