Spray Rail

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
biker
New Poster
New Poster

Spray Rail

Post by biker »

Need some help. Just completed a FS14 and have had it in the water several times. The problem that I'm having is the spray, I didn't do a spray rail and was looking to add one. Does anyone have any guidance on installing a new rail. Attached are pictures of my boat both on the water and off.
Thanks
Biker
IMG_3193_LI.jpg
IMG_1183[5758].jpg
IMG_1183[5758].jpg (124.42 KiB) Viewed 878 times

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Spray Rail

Post by cape man »

Go to page 188 of my Dory build thread (Cape Man's Dory) to see how I did it. Looking at yours running, the rail only needs to run from the transom to midship, which is good as there's little curve in the sides back there. I'd try and match the gunwales. It looks really nice on mine as the ash has the same tone as the wood on the gunwales.

I still get water that comes up over the sides, but much less and the 1" rail is enough to kick it out so it's not getting in the boat.

By the way...awesome job on the boat. I missed this one, or were you a stealth builder?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

I have nothing to add regarding spray rails, but wanted to say you did a great job building, she’s a beauty!
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

biker
New Poster
New Poster

Post by biker »

Guys thanks for your help and Cape Man I read all you posts and your spray rail looks great. I also think I will stain the color to match the rest of the boat. This is my first build and have posted just one other time, not what I planned but that's the way it turned out. I will post the completed spray rail, but its almost winter in Iowa so I have all winter to complete. Guys thanks again and be safe.
Biker