FS 14 Build Malaysia

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:55 am
by SILENT WISH
Started building the FS 14 on 11/5/20 with Marine Ply BS1088

Re: FS 14 Build Malaysia

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:39 am
by SILENT WISH
Hi Guys, I have a question.
Managed to trim the bottom panel and now it fits on the frames nicely.
However there is a large gap of about 1/2 " in the center line (where the white tape is)
Do I just fill it up with epoxy or I need to put some strips of plywood in between and then epoxy.
The panels are now held down with temporary screws

Bernard

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:50 am
by pee wee
You need to take those screws out that are holding the hull to the molds, it's okay to place some screws into the transom edges but not anywhere else. Loosely tie all the panels together with wire or zip ties and work them bit by bit until you get a fair hull with minimal gaps between panels. If a gap develops between the hull and the molds, it's not as important as the fit of the panels and the shape of the hull.

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:19 am
by SILENT WISH
pee wee wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:50 am You need to take those screws out that are holding the hull to the molds, it's okay to place some screws into the transom edges but not anywhere else. Loosely tie all the panels together with wire or zip ties and work them bit by bit until you get a fair hull with minimal gaps between panels. If a gap develops between the hull and the molds, it's not as important as the fit of the panels and the shape of the hull.
Thank you Hank. I will try that again. Wasn't sure if the gap was due to fitting or to the hand drawn and hand cutting of the panels and some errors made. Other than that everything else looks ok to the eye.

Bernard

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:59 am
by pee wee
SILENT WISH wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:19 am Other than that everything else looks ok to the eye.

Bernard
Yes, it looks good so far, but those sides need to be in place to really tell how it's going. Don't re-cut any of the panels until you've got things together and it just won't fit. Post pictures and ask for advice, this is a critical stage for your boat.

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:06 am
by SILENT WISH
Good advice from Hank.
Took out the screws and realigned the panels again, instead of taking the easy way out and filling up with epoxy.
Apparently my curves drawn was not so correct and had to trim the inside edges again. It looks much better now and I like the sharper V at he bow.
Another thing when I got in today, I found all the gaps were wider due to the hot midday sun and expansion of the wood. I knew something was not right.
Hopefully the shape stays intact tomorrow.
Bernard

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:10 am
by SILENT WISH
Can someone help me with this.

Where do you place the water line and how do you draw it. I mean the angle and the position of the line.

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:26 am
by Dougster
I made sure the boat was level (i.e. the stringers were level). Then I used a cheapo laser to draw the line. A simple bubble level would have worked just as well. A clear tube with water in it. One end at the bow and move forward in increments with the other end to mark the line.

Dougster

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:35 am
by SILENT WISH
Thank you Dougster.
So the water line is parallel to the stringers.
I put a red line representing the water line.
The blue line is where I will paint the anti fouling.
It looks ok but welcome any more advice.
I know I have not done the fiber glassing yet but wanted to see how far up I should fiber glass.

Regards,
Bernard

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:59 am
by Dougster
You might do a search on waterlines. It seems I remember some people angle theirs up a bit at the bow, for looks. Just a little I would think, not sure. Somebody else will chime in I bet.

Dougster

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:13 pm
by VT_Jeff
I did the same as dougster with the laser level. I made some marks along the laser line and then connected the dots with masking tape. Getting the laser line on the side near the wall was a little tricky.

Is your goal to glass exactly to the waterline? If so I would ask why?

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:40 am
by SILENT WISH
No not at the water line. This is just to get a reference for the boat level.
I am thinking to glass around the blue line with the 12 oz bi axial cloth.
This is up to where I will have the anti fouling paint.
Above this top side I was intending to use a lighter woven cloth

Bernard

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:54 am
by VT_Jeff
Gotcha.

To find my waterline, I measured up roughly 5" from the lowest point the transom since my boat is supposed to draft 5" at the designed load weight. I fudge-factored it a little since

1. I don't have a skeg(I think the draft includes a 1" skeg)
2. know my boat will be heavier than the designed hull weight.
3. scaled my boat by 10%, which throws off just about everything.
4. The lowest point on the transom is not the deepest point on the boat, I think.......

In my case, it doesn't really matter but if I was trying to find a a target level for bottom paint I may look for a little more precision, or just take a worst-case scenario and run the bottom paint up to that mark. Better to have an extra inch of bottom paint showing than to have an inch of crap growing on the boat.

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:05 am
by VT_Jeff
Just to be clear; on my boat, the theoretical waterline is highlighted below. The other lines are part of the graphic.

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:53 am
by gstanfield
SILENT WISH wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:35 am Thank you Dougster.
So the water line is parallel to the stringers.
I put a red line representing the water line.
The blue line is where I will paint the anti fouling.
It looks ok but welcome any more advice.
I know I have not done the fiber glassing yet but wanted to see how far up I should fiber glass.

Regards,
Bernard
I would fiberglass the entire hull, regardless of where the water line stops.

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:11 am
by VT_Jeff
gstanfield wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:53 am I would fiberglass the entire hull, regardless of where the water line stops.
I suspect this is pretty common and probably a good use of extra weight. The plans only call for glass 6" above the chine, which is what I did.

In hindsight, glassing to the sheer would have made fairing the sides a lot easier.

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:43 pm
by gstanfield
VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:11 am
gstanfield wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:53 am I would fiberglass the entire hull, regardless of where the water line stops.
I suspect this is pretty common and probably a good use of extra weight. The plans only call for glass 6" above the chine, which is what I did.

In hindsight, glassing to the sheer would have made fairing the sides a lot easier.
After cutting a boat up with my chainsaw and throwing it away due to checking of the plywood I won’t build another that isn’t fully glassed.

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:59 pm
by VT_Jeff
gstanfield wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:43 pm After cutting a boat up with my chainsaw and throwing it away due to checking of the plywood I won’t build another that isn’t fully glassed.
Understandable, that had to be heartbreaking! JM does say in the plans to use a lighter cloth if you're planning on glassing the entire outside. Are you glassing both sides of every surface?

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:38 pm
by gstanfield
VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:59 pm
gstanfield wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:43 pm After cutting a boat up with my chainsaw and throwing it away due to checking of the plywood I won’t build another that isn’t fully glassed.
Understandable, that had to be heartbreaking! JM does say in the plans to use a lighter cloth if you're planning on glassing the entire outside. Are you glassing both sides of every surface?
The last few boats I’ve done both sides of every panel, yes. In many cases it’s just 4oz woven which hardly adds any weight, but gives me peace of mind.

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:45 pm
by VT_Jeff
gstanfield wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:38 pm The last few boats I’ve done both sides of every panel, yes. In many cases it’s just 4oz woven which hardly adds any weight, but gives me peace of mind.
Gotcha. You have me thinking about ordering some light fabric. Do you get a commission? :lol:

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:34 pm
by gstanfield
VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:45 pm
gstanfield wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:38 pm The last few boats I’ve done both sides of every panel, yes. In many cases it’s just 4oz woven which hardly adds any weight, but gives me peace of mind.
Gotcha. You have me thinking about ordering some light fabric. Do you get a commission? :lol:
I wish! Just trying to help out. Light fabric is a cheap and easy way of protecting your investment of time, money and sweat!

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:10 am
by SILENT WISH
Thanks guys.
I think I will just glass 6" above the chines as called in the plans and cover the rest with a 4 oz woven cloth.
Can I then use the 6" edge to put a white boot stripe just like the FS12 boat-in-box tutorial picture on page 27.

Bernard

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:53 am
by VT_Jeff
Sounds like a plan Bernard!

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:54 pm
by SILENT WISH
Boat is now ready for fiber glassing.
Showing the reverse chine added.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:25 am
by VT_Jeff
Coming along great Bernard, reverse chine looks excellent!

I just got a shipment of 4 oz fabric from BBC. I'm taking your advice and am going to glass the entire sole and deck. Not going to do every surface top and bottom, already far too late for that, but going to so a fair but more than I originally planned.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:58 pm
by gstanfield
VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:25 am Coming along great Bernard, reverse chine looks excellent!

I just got a shipment of 4 oz fabric from BBC. I'm taking your advice and am going to glass the entire sole and deck. Not going to do every surface top and bottom, already far too late for that, but going to so a fair but more than I originally planned.
Good to hear! You'll be pleased with the decision.

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:24 am
by gainer71
SILENT WISH wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:54 pm Boat is now ready for fiber glassing.
Showing the reverse chine added.
Looks neat!

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:46 am
by SILENT WISH
Installed the Rub Rails today.

Glued 3 layers of 6mm Ply 2" wide

TIP: Changed the sheer line to a straight edge on the flat plans. The bow goes slightly higher when you bend around the frames.
But it is easier to rip straight lines of 2" width 6mm ply and it will fit nicely on the sheer.

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:32 pm
by VT_Jeff
You're cooking right along, nicely done!

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:25 am
by SILENT WISH
Decided to glass the whole top side, instead of just 6" above the chines.

Seems a waste to cut off the cloth and nothing useful could be done with the narrow strips.

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:28 am
by SILENT WISH
After Epoxy

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:03 pm
by VT_Jeff
SILENT WISH wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:25 am Decided to glass the whole top side, instead of just 6" above the chines.
You definitely fit right in here!

Glass job looks great, nice work!

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:41 am
by SILENT WISH
BOAT ON WHEELS

Landlord wanted to take back the place :( , so the boat had to be moved to a new home!

Had to move the boat vertically to get through the door

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:18 am
by Jeff
Well Done!!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:47 am
by SILENT WISH
MOVED THE BOAT TO A SHIPYARD. BUT THEY WANTED AN ARM AND A LEG TO WORK THERE.

SO BOAT MOVED AGAIN TO A NEW HOME UNDER A TREE BY THE BEACH :D

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:57 am
by SILENT WISH
GLASSING THE RUB RAILS

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:06 am
by VT_Jeff
I really admire the hell out of people like you who find a way to get a build done under difficult circumstances like this. I know how trying it can occasionally be under ideal circumstances. Hats off on sticking with it, glassing looks first rate!

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:31 am
by Fuzz
X2 on what Jeff said. we here in the USA sometimes forget how easy we have it.

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:36 am
by SILENT WISH
BOAT IS NOW READY FOR SANDING TO RECEIVE THE 1ST COAT OF PAINT.
FAIRING WAS DONE WITH FUMED SILICA MIXED WITH EPOXY FOR THE 1ST LAYER AND ALUMINOSILICATE WITH EPOXY FOR THE 2ND LAYER.
LITTLE COLOR WAS ADDED TO MAKE IT EASIER TO SEE.
WORK WAS COMPLICATED WITH BIRD DROPPINGS AND LEAVES :)

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:58 am
by SILENT WISH
OUTSIDE HULL PAINTED AND ANTIFOULING DONE

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:06 am
by pee wee
Good progress, it's looking fine!

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:02 pm
by Jeff
Nice work!!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:52 pm
by Fuzz
That looks very nice! You are doing good work there.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:00 am
by SILENT WISH
At last got my frames installed and glassed.
Next will be to put in the self draining decks which is raised to about 8" from the transform bottom center.
The holes below the deck in the frames are for ventilation and to keep the area below deck dry.
The forward deck is connected to the aft deck through the side tunnels and will be drained through scuppers at the transform.
The mid seats hatches will be opened through below the decks for inspection, ventilation and deeper storage space.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:10 am
by pee wee
That's looking good, and it looks like you work neatly, too!

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:57 am
by Jeff
Nice work!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:36 am
by SILENT WISH
ALMOST THERE.
RAINING SEASON HAS STARTED AND WORK GET A BIT MORE COMPLICATED.
EPOXY IN BETWEEN THE THUNDERSTORMS

SUPPORT FOR RAISED DECKS INSTALLED

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:37 am
by SILENT WISH
BUOYANCY FOAM UNDER DECK. 450KG

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:39 am
by SILENT WISH
SELF DRAINING DECK COMPLETED

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:40 am
by SILENT WISH
INSTALLING THE GUNWALES

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:35 am
by Jeff
Nice progress!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:46 am
by SILENT WISH
Completed the Boat.
However can only launch end of the month as we are now in restricted movement control due to covid

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:02 am
by Jeff
Nice work!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:03 pm
by Fuzz
Very nice! It must be hard to have to wait before playing with your new baby :cry:

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:11 pm
by VT_Jeff
Fuzz wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:03 pm Very nice! It must be hard to have to wait before playing with your new baby :cry:
Agreed! Great job, and that would drive me insane!