Page 1 of 1

SK14 in Cape Cod

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:41 pm
by Fuzzytrout
Like most of you, I have been a looooooooonnnnng time lurker. I wonder how many DAYS I've spend reading this forum :doh: I've wanted to build like 23 different boats. my dream boat would be a c19, but figuring I've never built a boat, driven a boat solo, or trailered a boat, its probably better to start small :lol: I'll use the SK14 for the flats fishing and going way back into the bays and tidal creeks here on the Cape, and also to trailer down to florida with the wife and dog for some mosquito filled adventures looking for fish down there. I've been fishing since I was a little kid, and now paint fish for a living. I can't wait to splash micro boat!

A huge thank you EVERYONE who regularly posts here. My build is going smoothly,mainly from the tips and tricks I picked up reading everyones builds!

I finally took the plunge and ordered the sk14 plans, got some okume from my local lumber yard here on the cape, ordered some wood flour, epoxy and fiberglass from BBC and off we GO!

making progress slowly! I work 4 days a week in my art gallery, and then have 3 days in the studio / my house to work on the boat. I just got more foam yesterday to finish the foam! I got super impatient and made one of the slotted inwhales, i probably should glue down the sole before doing the other one ;)

I have some questions for you more experienced builders about the best way to secure Mini console down. Part of me wants to make my micro console removable, part of me just wants to glass it into place and call it good!

Re: SK14 in Cape Cod

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:47 pm
by Fuzz
Looks to me like you almost have a boat now. Happy to see you start a build thread.
Got to ask, how did you come up with that user name :D

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:24 am
by Fuzzytrout
Thanks Fuzz! It's amazing how quickly it started looking like a boat! One of the reasons why I went with an SK14 for my first build. I see the addiction. I see many boats in my future :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahh the elusive fuzzytrout. I may have caught one once 15 years ago :D

Or I spent too many hours in Ripleys Believe it or Not when i was a kid...

I used to trout fish like it was my job. Then it turned into my job for a hot minute while I guided trout when I was in High school and college, but quickly realized i love fishing hate guiding.

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:54 am
by pee wee
That's looking great, thanks for sharing the photos. Your shop looks like the inside of a home . . . how do you guys get away with that??

app.php/gallery/image/8026/medium

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:38 pm
by Fuzzytrout
I only brought the mini boat inside to foam it! my garage is the shop... my wife is cool, but not THAT cool...

my work kinda takes over the entire house anyway. building frames for artwork in the garage shop, one of our extra rooms has my 44" epson printer, and I paint in like 2 different rooms :lol: art takes over the entire house, a boat in the kitchen isn't all that far off having a 7' tall painting in the kitchen, or 3 fly rods, 2 spin rods, and some stinky waders and a wetsuit.

but the real reason why I get away with it is cause I cook for my wife 8)

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:29 pm
by VT_Jeff
Fuzzytrout wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:41 pm
I have some questions for you more experienced builders about the best way to secure Mini console down. Part of me wants to make my micro console removable, part of me just wants to glass it into place and call it good!
Looking great!

If you make it removable, what are you willing to have left on the deck when it's off? If you want it completely clean, you'll need some recessed nuts in the deck. The more you're willing to leave behind, the simpler the attachment mechanism.

I have a lot of family on the Cape and hope to fish from my FS there this summer if the stars align, leave a few fish for me!

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:02 pm
by Fuzzytrout
so these are the flush mount options I can find.

do you think either of these be strong enough to hold down my micro console if I epoxy them into the doubler and sole? my initial thought would be no, those look too skinny. I would just overdrill / epoxy the hollow bolt into the doubler/ sole and then use some stainless bolts to hold the console down with em.

something like that would be ideal though. I JUST finished foaming, I'm in no rush to glue the sole down, so I'm going to play with the console design while i figure out how to secure the console.

If I can't find a beefy flush mount option like above, what are my other options? a tee-nut or a nut under the sole seems like a good spot for water to creep in through. If I did something like that I think I'd rather just overdrill / epoxy / some 1/2" stainless bolts under the doubler, and have 1" of thread coming up to bolt down the console too. I'd feel safer with some beefy hardware like 1/2" and 5200 all around the threads coming up from under the sole. For the rare times I did take the console out, I could just make a little 1" bevel piece of wood to cover the 4 bolts.

in the console I'll have a 7" fish finder, switch panel, fuses, battery, two cup holders, fly rod holders on one side and spin rod holders on the other side. front will have a little seat with a built in cooler under it (i have some extra two part foam to make a small insulated cooler, gotta make sure it fits some wine bottles for the wife).

I had some extra wood from how I nested the parts, so i figured why not make a micro console.

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:07 pm
by Fuzzytrout
VT_Jeff wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:29 pm
Fuzzytrout wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:41 pm
Looking great!

If you make it removable, what are you willing to have left on the deck when it's off? If you want it completely clean, you'll need some recessed nuts in the deck. The more you're willing to leave behind, the simpler the attachment mechanism.

I have a lot of family on the Cape and hope to fish from my FS there this summer if the stars align, leave a few fish for me!
Nope, all the fish are mine. All the albies are definitely mine. Actually there are no fish on the cape anyway. just seals :lol:

Let me know if you make it out here, we will go a little 3 hour tour with the boats! I'm pretty easy to find on social media (even though I utterly despise it), great water gallery!

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:44 am
by gainer71
Fuzzytrout wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:38 pm I only brought the mini boat inside to foam it! my garage is the shop... my wife is cool, but not THAT cool...

my work kinda takes over the entire house anyway. building frames for artwork in the garage shop, one of our extra rooms has my 44" epson printer, and I paint in like 2 different rooms :lol: art takes over the entire house, a boat in the kitchen isn't all that far off having a 7' tall painting in the kitchen, or 3 fly rods, 2 spin rods, and some stinky waders and a wetsuit.

but the real reason why I get away with it is cause I cook for my wife 8)
Same here, all the house looks like a boat shop and it drives my wife crazy... And unfortunately, I can't cook at all so I have no excuses for this. But I think anyway it makes her happy to see our kids are keeping themselves busy with helping me around with all the boating stuff. Currently we are planning to buy a house in Larnaca for retirement and we are looking for somewhere big enough to make everyone happy :D

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:28 am
by Fuzzytrout
gainer71 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:44 am
But I think anyway it makes her happy to see our kids are keeping themselves busy with helping me around with all the boating stuff. Currently we are planning to buy a house in Larnaca for retirement and we are looking for somewhere big enough to make everyone happy :D
That's the best. Especially now and days, anything that gets kids off Facebook, IG and whatever the latest useless stupid app is now and days!

Can my 3 gallon gas tank on micro boat get me from Cape Cod to Larnaca? :lol:

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:17 pm
by PapaDave
The boat is looking great. I mounted my sk14 center console/grab bar to the deck with screws. I think a better option is the direction you are headed where it is easily removed for car topping, storage, and stacking on another boat for transport.
Dave

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:21 pm
by PapaDave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLJhpE-Y8bI

Some shots of the console are at the end of the video.
Dave

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:52 pm
by VT_Jeff
My preference would be to glass a few strips of 9mm ply to the deck, on edge, spaced as wide as the console. The console would go over these "wings" and bolts would go through the sides of the console into these wings. Downside is the wings are left behind but the upside is that there is no deck penetration.

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:06 pm
by Fuzzytrout
VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:52 pm My preference would be to glass a few strips of 9mm ply to the deck, on edge, spaced as wide as the console. The console would go over these "wings" and bolts would go through the sides of the console into these wings. Downside is the wings are left behind but the upside is that there is no deck penetration.

thanks a ton! this is probably the best idea I've heard of yet. no deck penetration :D

I don't mind the "wings" sticking up, they don't need to be very tall, I can completely smooth them out as well so when the console is off they won't be something for my fly line to get caught on!

I can also add a couple extra holes to the wings and have a little wiggle room with the console and i'll be able to move it forward or backward if i need to. Also down the road if i want to remove the wings its not hard to cut them off the deck.

I just finished the console, finished the foam, and just make a wooden router sled to flush cut the foam in the doubler compartment. Boat is back in the garage :(

I"ll take some pics tomorrow!

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:00 pm
by fallguy1000
Wings, aka cleats are the way to go. In the case of the Skoota, the helm riser is attached same way. In order to do the attachment, I also am adding rubber silencing to the bottom edge (shows) and the cleat face(not showing). To do the work, the cleat needs to not stick to the console, so you can protect it with ship tape, or you can locate the cleat with...a screw..that is a hole closed at the end

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:18 pm
by Fuzzytrout
fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:00 pm Wings, aka cleats are the way to go. In the case of the Skoota, the helm riser is attached same way. In order to do the attachment, I also am adding rubber silencing to the bottom edge (shows) and the cleat face(not showing). To do the work, the cleat needs to not stick to the console, so you can protect it with ship tape, or you can locate the cleat with...a screw..that is a hole closed at the end
my console has a full bottom, so I was planning on taking some butyl tape and put some under my console around the edges, that should help seal / stop vibrations/chatter between the console / sole. I'll also use the butyl tape to seal the small space between the cleats and the holes I'll have to cut in the bottom of the console where the cleats come through. I'll take some pics in the next couple days!

Should I space out my cleats so I have room for some thick rubber washers between the console and the cleats?

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:21 pm
by Fuzzytrout
PapaDave wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:21 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLJhpE-Y8bI

Dave

is this your boat? I must have watched this build video about 564 times ;)

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:03 pm
by VT_Jeff
Fuzzytrout wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:06 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:52 pm My preference would be to glass a few strips of 9mm ply to the deck, on edge, spaced as wide as the console. The console would go over these "wings" and bolts would go through the sides of the console into these wings. Downside is the wings are left behind but the upside is that there is no deck penetration.

thanks a ton! this is probably the best idea I've heard of yet.
I'm marking the date/time and taking a screenshot. This is truly historic. Really proves the blind squirrel/nut theory.

Happy to hear it will work for you, looking forward to pics.

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:09 pm
by VT_Jeff
Fuzzytrout wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:18 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:00 pm Wings, aka cleats are the way to go. In the case of the Skoota, the helm riser is attached same way. In order to do the attachment, I also am adding rubber silencing to the bottom edge (shows) and the cleat face(not showing). To do the work, the cleat needs to not stick to the console, so you can protect it with ship tape, or you can locate the cleat with...a screw..that is a hole closed at the end
my console has a full bottom, so I was planning on taking some butyl tape and put some under my console around the edges, that should help seal / stop vibrations/chatter between the console / sole. I'll also use the butyl tape to seal the small space between the cleats and the holes I'll have to cut in the bottom of the console where the cleats come through. I'll take some pics in the next couple days!

Should I space out my cleats so I have room for some thick rubber washers between the console and the cleats?
Anothe .02: You could run the cleats outside the console, holes through the cleats, t nuts in the console. You could recess/rebate the console base sides so they would be flush with the cleats once mounted, or even under cut so the bolt heads are not proud. Neoprene is a great idea. Oversize the cleat holes to ensure the console sits heavy on the deck before torqing the bolts.

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:12 pm
by fallguy1000
I will be using full cleats around the riser to avoid or reduce ingress. Rubber is all the way around.

I will epoxy the nuts in place. Use a dab of silicone or light loctite on the socket head bolts which stand on finish washers.

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:41 am
by Fuzzytrout
VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:09 pm Anothe .02: You could run the cleats outside the console, holes through the cleats, t nuts in the console. You could recess/rebate the console base sides so they would be flush with the cleats once mounted, or even under cut so the bolt heads are not proud. Neoprene is a great idea. Oversize the cleat holes to ensure the console sits heavy on the deck before torqing the bolts.
HMMMMM this is an even better idea. let me look at my console and where my rod holders are going to mount and if that works I'll probably do that. I might just have them run the full length outside the console, like a baseboard trim. install multiple holes on the rail, and when i remove the console i can use the cleats to tie down something else clean and flush and simple

I'll upload some pics later today when i get back to the gallery.

I'm still picking foam out of my eyeballs from cutting the doubler compartment with the router.

the doubler seems kinda pointless now, but oh well its already framed out and who knows what the future holds, one day i'll be happy its there.

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:39 am
by PapaDave
That is my SK 14 “Kenai” in the build video. Glad to hear that the video was helpful. It is a fun boat and you are sure to enjoy your labor soon. Your boat looks great!
Dave

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:14 am
by pee wee
Fuzzytrout wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:21 pm
PapaDave wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:21 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLJhpE-Y8bI

Dave

is this your boat? I must have watched this build video about 564 times ;)
Nice video. I see a number of people in the comments section asking where they can get the plans, would be nice to add the information up top somewhere.

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:41 am
by Fuzzytrout
Some updated pics!

Glued down the sole, I'm going to fiberglass it. This little boat is gonna see some miles so....

Dry fitting some goodies. Going to overdrill and fill with epoxy now. then drill a tiny center hole so after priming and painting i'll have a small little center point to follow for the final holes.

I'll need to cut about an 1" off the bow hardware, the threads just barely hit the top.

I wound up using two pieces of ply for the little front deck, and putting some little cleats in there so it would sit perfectly flush with the rubrail. Gonna put a little hatch up front, so I decided to double up on the ply because my dog knows no bounds, and I'm sure she'll be sitting on the little area in no time.

micro console! I built micro console for a couple of reasons. first and foremost, I had a decent amount of wood left over from my 6 sheets of okume, and I sure as hell wasn't going to waste it.

Micro boat will be used at night as much as it will be used during the day. 90% of my striped bass fishing is at night. I needed a spot for a chart plotter / fish finder / switch panel for lights. I didn't want to rely on battery powered running lights, so mini boat with have front and rear nav lights. A little grab rail is going up top above the finder.

Im also debating where to put the front nav lights. My first though was going to put them in the front of the console, (you can see the epoxy circle where i over drilled and filled). the angle in the front of the console is about 31 degrees from the centerline of the boat, so the lights would be at the proper angle to view em from the front. My other option would be to put them up front either under the rubrail, or cut them flush into the rubrail. Thoughts? I really want to just put them into the CC.

Also put a little drain on the side for the built in cooler.

grab rail up top, fish finder, switch panel, two cup holders, and a little recessed spot behind them to put your phone etc etc.

Battery, fuses, main on /off, etc all will go in the console. its really just some LED lights and the fish finder.

the font seat/ cooler/ small storage. This was my messiest epoxy job i did late at night and tired. :) now i know never do epoxy work when you are tired after working for 12 hrs.... I'll pour two part foam around the outside, and fiberglass the seams inside and finish it off. the cooler can fit a bottle of my wife's favorite wine.. ;)

The cleats. Im going to cut the console AGAIN and make sure these cleats sit flush with the console.

I keep telling myself SOONER then LATER I'll be sitting on my micro boat staring out at the water, looking over this, enjoying my hard work :)

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:49 am
by Jeff
Nice progress!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:00 pm
by Fuzzytrout
thanks Jeff!

I'm learning a TON during my first build. so happy with how everything is coming out, mainly because of this forum.

I feel the addiction starting. I NEED ANOTHER BOAT already. What am I going to work on once I finish this one? I'm kinda burnt out on painting so the boat has been a nice change of pace.

one thing i need to work on. stop wasting epoxy. :D

in fact I probably should order more! :)

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:02 pm
by VT_Jeff
Fuzzytrout wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:00 pm thanks Jeff!

I'm learning a TON during my first build. so happy with how everything is coming out, mainly because of this forum.

I feel the addiction starting. I NEED ANOTHER BOAT already. What am I going to work on once I finish this one? I'm kinda burnt out on painting so the boat has been a nice change of pace.

one thing i need to work on. stop wasting epoxy. :D

in fact I probably should order more! :)
Doing some really nice looking work Fuzzy, keep it up! I'm at about triple the BOM on epoxy right now, I wasted a fair amount and have added quite a few extras.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:23 pm
by Browndog
After this boat I would suggest an FS 19. Perfect for your area.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:52 pm
by Fuzzytrout
Browndog wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:23 pm After this boat I would suggest an FS 19. Perfect for your area.
I'm debating between the FS 19 or the C19. Leaning towards C19. But that's a boat for next winter or the winter after....plenty of time to decide.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:10 pm
by Fuzz
it would seem BBV has claimed another victim :lol:
I would really like to build another boat but it seems like I want to remain married more :cry:

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:21 am
by Fuzzytrout
Fuzz wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:10 pm it would seem BBV has claimed another victim :lol:
I would really like to build another boat but it seems like I want to remain married more :cry:
I'm just waiting for my wife to ask to build a boat we can sleep on ;)

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:22 pm
by Fuzzytrout
Some updates!

Got a small trailer perfect for micro boat!

got some new leaf springs and new hubs on the way! :D
Axle looks good still!

progress!

I chopped my mini console shorter. smaller is better for mini boat.

when i fiberglassed the deck i came to the realization that i suck with a roller. too much epoxy all over. I do much better with a plastic trowel of some kind. I'm glad i fiberglassed the deck first, this way on the hull i'll use less epoxy.

I faired the deck two nights ago, overall really happy with it. I"ll take more pics this weekend.

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:33 pm
by VT_Jeff
Fuzzytrout wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:22 pm
when i fiberglassed the deck i came to the realization that i suck with a roller. too much epoxy all over. I do much better with a plastic trowel of some kind.
I'm the same, have never got comfortable applying epoxy with a roller, I usually use a Bondo squeegee and/or brush.

Console and attachment cleats look great!

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:55 pm
by Fuzzytrout
thanks!

I have a question about paint.... i know everyone has their own preferences and looking at the board I see people use all different paints..

I was planning on doing some epoxy/graphite mix on the bottom, and then a top coating with Wetlander on the hull and sides up the waterline. Besides BlackJack224's build on this board that used it, i know some people local who used it for various tin boats and they loved it.

I'm leaving towards interlux either brightside or perfection for the sides and the deck... they look easy enough to use with a roll and tip. I'm pretty confident I can do a nice job with a paintbrush in my hand to smooth everything out..its about my only talent ;)

thoughts? what does everyone recommend? whats the real difference between the two paints?

also, Do I need to prime the hull before the graphite / epoxy? or just go right to graphite / epoxy after i fair the hull? :doh:

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:18 pm
by VT_Jeff
Fuzzytrout wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:55 pm also, Do I need to prime the hull before the graphite / epoxy? or just go right to graphite / epoxy after i fair the hull? :doh:
I did not and would not if I were to do it again. I have enough adhesion issues without adding superfluous layers. :help:

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:25 pm
by Fuzzytrout
IS IT WRONG THAT I LOVE FAIRING

DO I HAVE ISSUES????

SMOOTH LIKE A BABIES BUTT!

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:39 pm
by Jaysen
Fuzzytrout wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:25 pm IS IT WRONG THAT I LOVE FAIRING

DO I HAVE ISSUES????
Yes
Hell yes.

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:24 pm
by Fuzz
What Jaysen said :help:

But you are welcome to come visit :lol: :lol: :roll:

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:28 am
by Fuzzytrout
its just nice to seeing all my hard work look super smooth and not look like a bunch of wood epoxied together :D

I'd be happy to come sand. you just gotta take me fishing afterwards.

sanding a boat and epoxy for a couple weeks isn't really all that bad, there are a lot worse things in life you could be doing. I'm pretty grateful I'm finally able to make this project happen.

did you know you can fit a 9.9 inside your subaru if you take the back cushion out :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:42 am
by VT_Jeff
Fuzz wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:24 pm What Jaysen said :help:

Ditto! Vermont is lovely this time of year. Bring your sander, I'll provide everything else!

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:44 am
by VT_Jeff
Fuzzytrout wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:28 am did you know you can fit a 9.9 inside your subaru if you take the back cushion out :lol: :lol: :lol:
That is very good to know! How fast can you go with just the kicker?

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:26 pm
by Fuzzytrout
a couple more questions!

what do most people do here, just glue up a thicker board to clamp to? or just use a spacer after the transom is finished? remove those and through bolt it? there are some holes on the back too that look like they are for a through bolt.

I totally forget i left my transom like an inch or so tall so i could cut it down to the proper height. :) the plate above the prop have to be level with the bottom of the boat ?

EH vermont is too cold for me. i would need too much bourbon to keep warm my sanding would be less then ideal 8)

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:37 pm
by Fuzz
VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:42 am
Fuzz wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:24 pm What Jaysen said :help:

Ditto! Vermont is lovely this time of year. Bring your sander, I'll provide everything else!
It's a bidding war :lol: Come in summer. I have Fesstool sanders and will take you fishing afterwards :P

A spacer will work but a full width clamping board would be better. I never trust the clamps. I have had the motor work lose so I drill holes and bolt them on. It is not much more work for the security.

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:21 am
by BrianC
Fuzzytrout wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:26 pm ...what do most people do here, just glue up a thicker board to clamp to? or just use a spacer after the transom is finished? remove those and through bolt it? there are some holes on the back too that look like they are for a through bolt.
Here is what I did to both thicken up the transom and to keep the motor positioned properly: Image

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:56 am
by Fuzzytrout
OOOH I like it! I'll probably do something like that for the clamps, and then still use two through bolts in the lower holes from the rear of the engine.

I remember reading a couple builds on here that had cavitation issues.

so should this be level with the bottom of the hull? or just a tiny bit below?

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:12 am
by Fuzzytrout
Fuzz wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:37 pm It's a bidding war :lol: Come in summer. I have Fesstool sanders and will take you fishing afterwards :P

A spacer will work but a full width clamping board would be better. I never trust the clamps. I have had the motor work lose so I drill holes and bolt them on. It is not much more work for the security.
be careful what you wish for. I'd sand a hull for a shot at a big ole alaskan native rainbow, a steelhead, some salmon, a grayling, a halibut, ;) just about anything. I need inspiration and photo references for paintings! 8)

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:59 am
by Fuzzytrout
OK SO I GET IT.

the longboard kicks your ass. i got a nice workout for a couple long nights....

sorry for the lack of posting. the gallery has been busy, I've been working my butt off getting mini boat finished....

pics sooooon. I'm sooooo close! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:59 am
by Fuzzytrout

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

someone put a boat in my garage!

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:30 am
by Jeff
Very well done!!! Congrats, Jeff

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:07 am
by VT_Jeff
That's outstanding, and about ready for the season. Boat looks great, you really did some nice work, very impressed!

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:48 pm
by PapaDave
What a nice boat and set-up you put together. Looking forward to seeing the splash soon.
Dave

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:49 pm
by Fuzzytrout

Got some fake sea deck off amazon for 84 bucks a sheet, used 2. cant go wrong. ran my wires in between the sea deck so i wasn't tripping over em.... used some 4200 to glue some cleats into the back to secure the gas tank down too.

I cant say enough good things about the wetlander bottom paint. I went with their 2 part primer and topcoat. the boat SLIDES OFF THE DRY BUNKS IF IT ISN"T LEVEL :lol:

its pretty easy to launch to say the least. putting back on the trailer is just as easy, as my bottom strakes help align the boat to bunks perfectly. I'm getting better driving with the trailer, yesterday i even backed mini boat into the garage!

my hi-tech rod holders seem to work well so far. some gear ties on the grab rails keep em in place fine...

i learned a TON with this boat. its totally overbuilt and on the heavy side, but its rides very nice...

this thing is the ultimate one man fishing machine. put a trolling motor on it and you can fish on this thing all day long solo. with the 6 gallon tank is has a range of like..... WAY MORE then anyone would ever need :)

splashed twice so far. I have some video but dont know where to host it up, not putting it on youtube.

goes 24 with just me. it doesnt sink with my me, my wife, and our 100 lb dog but.... it sure aint built for all that weight.

I'm already eyeing up my next build......

has anyone put a small poling platform on a FS 14LS?

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:15 pm
by Fuzzytrout

If you see this boat down near Pine Island and Sanibel next week say hi!!!!

Will trade artwork for fishing spots :) 8)

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:29 am
by Dougster
That's a beauty, nicer than mine. I especially like your little console and sea deck look. Mine is set up with a 5 hp Tohatsu propane and minn kota trolling motor with spot lock. Sure is a nice solo fishing platform in flat water. Water will come over the bow in a chop or big wake from another boat, but it immediately rolls right out the rear scupper. Will do 10 mph with both me and my wife aboard, but it's really a solo guy. Sweet design

Dougster

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:50 am
by Jeff
Very nice!!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:28 am
by Fuzzytrout
Mini boat went on its first adventure! 3,250 miles of adventure....

We decided to go down to pine island / fort myers area and explore a little. I couldn't be happier with how mini boat handled and fished. We were able to cross the sound, get up into lots of creeks and skinny water, and find some quiet places that we had all to ourselves. We caught loads of small snook and trout, 1-2 bigger snook ( but lost a big 40" to the mangroves). I got a handful of reds, ladyfish, and a sheepsheads.

I jumped 3 tarpon all week, which was awesome. There is no hope of landing them on a 9 wt in the mangroves. I was hoping to find some babies like 5-10 lbs. nope. 4' tarpon all day long, I was totally undergunned, but it was awesome none the less.

the best part of mini boating was taking my wife with me and having her watch a 4' tarpon going nuts 10' from the boat.

the biggest issue with mini boat was ..... other boaters are morons. :help:

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:31 am
by Fuzzytrout
Dougster wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:29 am That's a beauty, nicer than mine. I especially like your little console and sea deck look. Mine is set up with a 5 hp Tohatsu propane and minn kota trolling motor with spot lock. Sure is a nice solo fishing platform in flat water. Water will come over the bow in a chop or big wake from another boat, but it immediately rolls right out the rear scupper. Will do 10 mph with both me and my wife aboard, but it's really a solo guy. Sweet design

Dougster
thanks! I must have read all your builds like 10 times! thanks for posting such details all the time!

I definitely need a trolling motor up front. the weight would help balance the fact that my gas tank is behind me as well. Im debating cutting up mini boat and figuring out a better placement for a smaller gas tank. We ran all over the sound fishing 6 hrs every day, I used 3 gallons of gas all week long. ;)

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:19 am
by VT_Jeff
Color me green, that's awesome!

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:06 am
by Dougster
RE trolling motor. It seems to handle the weight on the nose just fine. I use a 50AH AGM battery up front with it for the Minn Kota Riptide troll mtr and no problems. A lithum battery would be better and will eventually replace the AGM. You sure out fished me on yours so far!

Dougster

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:34 am
by Fuzzytrout
I have no doubt it will handle the trolling motor just fine. The boat handles better with my wife in it then with just me. the weight up front will be nice.

running outside with my wife up front

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFgSf66gK0g

running in the back in 3'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvgDb84Uldw

pushing into the kayak zone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWvqiXOXPLQ

so based on my SK14 experience, im building a FS18 next. I was debated between the LM-18 and FS-18, but after fishing out of mini boat for the week, it should be more then stable for me and my wife with our dog too.