FL14 "Robjack" update

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Steve_MA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Steve_MA »

Ahemmm....I am not planning to do alot of sanding on the inside! 8O
Doing the outside wasnt hard; its a small boat and surfaces are flat. Its just time consuming. I have the inside primed and I skipped the 'tween coat sanding. The seats got epoxied in yesterday. The rub rail got a coat of varnish. I spilled a tub of varnish in the boat..... :idea: (At least it wasn't epoxy).
Tonite, more epoxy around the seat and more varish.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Steve_MA wrote:Ahemmm....I am not planning to do alot of sanding on the inside! 8O
Doing the outside wasnt hard; its a small boat and surfaces are flat. Its just time consuming. I have the inside primed and I skipped the 'tween coat sanding. The seats got epoxied in yesterday. The rub rail got a coat of varnish. I spilled a tub of varnish in the boat..... :idea: (At least it wasn't epoxy).
Tonite, more epoxy around the seat and more varish.
You're inspiring me to lean in the same direction. :) The trim I added dresses things up enough. I've got to finish this. :lol: I was going to fair areas in the interior this weekend, but hmmmm... maybe I'll just prime. SHall I put up a vote to see how many think I'll prime or fair? :lol:

Please, feel free to launch before me! BUt do be so kind as to harass me to finish every now and then. 8)

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

ks8 wrote:..... I've got to finish this. :lol:.......
Please, feel free to launch before me! But do be so kind as to harass me to finish every now and then. 8)
:lol: :lol: :lol: You want harassment, I'll give you harassment! :lol: :lol: :lol: I just checked and found that when I made my first post to this forum on 15 October 2004, you were already almost one year into your build!! 8O 8O !

Now listen ks, we're all dying of frustration out here, waiting to see your masterpiece on the water! C'mon, buddy, race for that FINISH line! 8)

P.S. - :idea: You're not scared of the water, are you... :?: :lol:
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.

Steve_MA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Steve_MA »

My dad had a saying "your eyes are bigger than your stomach". I think the same thing applies to building boats. I have changed my paint/varnish scheme so many times, I swear the next one I build (and I will deny I ever contemplate such a thing to my wife) will be white and only white.

Yes, so I will be sanding the inside. I just cant help myself.... but I swear its just going to be one color.

I have to get this one done because I have another boat in the driveway that has to get in the water too :!: It needs work done on the bottom.....

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

Steve_MA wrote:I have changed my paint/varnish scheme so many times, I swear the next one I build (and I will deny I ever contemplate such a thing to my wife) will be white and only white.
I'm having that same problem. Every time someone else paints their boat and posts pictures I want to paint my boat like theirs.
CC, D15, V10

Steve_MA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Touchdown!

Post by Steve_MA »

Well, its been in the water for a couple weeks now and getting lots of use. The local harbormaster gave me a little visit one Sunday afternoon and gently reminder me I MUST have it registered if I want to use an engine. At least he clarified the procedure and it didnt cost me anything.

Brightsides is slippery....need to add some nonskid.
Didnt put an hatch hardware on yet - winter project.
Got a 6hp Johnson for $450, its a Sailmaster so although they call it a long shaft - its really more like 22" - a bit long. I added a motor clamp of white oak and pushed it up a couple inches. The length isnt really a problem. Still more engine than it needs though. After about 2/3 throttle all it does is push the bow up. Even with about 600lbs load.
My 6 yr old drives it more than me now. Amazingly, he is quite circumspect with the throttle.

Get lots of complements. Everyone loves the design and asks about it. A couple people even knew of bateau.com! Word is spreading!

Already trying to figure out where to carve out space to build a bigger one.....

(I guess I should change the "in progress")

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

Nice job, Steve - congratulations! She looks sweet in the water.
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Very nice colors, I like it :) Rubrail looks good too

kakupper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by kakupper »

I tried to make my fillets match the those included with the plans and ran out of wood flour half way through. I'm making another boat and used the plastic spoon you mentioned and made them much smaller (1/2 inch). This is much more reasonable.