FL14 - First Build Started

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

Steve_MA wrote:My plans show the "mid seat fwd" frame to be 14 3/8" from the edge of the ply. If your ply is longer than 8', then it could be that your plans show the mid seat fwd frame close to the edge.
I did not measure the position of the mid seat forward frame from the edge of the ply sheet. I butted two sheets of ply together, drew both the side panels and then marked the position of all the frames using the origin point (the front lower edge of the side panel) and the cumulative dimensions for each frame position as shown on the plans. This could account for some of the difference, while the obvious difference in the size of the butt blocks could account for the rest. (My plans definitely give "6mm x 254mm" dimensions for both side and bottom butt blocks in notes 1 & 2).

I'm not sure I understand Jeff's point about the metric size ply resulting in a longer boat - the ply I used was metric (2400mm x 1200mm) but since the measurements are taken direct from the plans to mark out the sides and frames, I can't see why the difference in material size should affect the size of the boat. The LOA of my boat is spot on the stated 4.25 (14ft).
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.

JeffS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JeffS »

I have not seen the fl14 plans. Other plans I have from Bateau show measurements for big parts measuring in from the edges of the sides of the sheets of ply (but all measurtments are there to make the correct part). The assumption is the ply is 8' long. If you have you make all measurements from one fixed edge of the plywood you will have no problems. But if you measure from the opposite edges of different sized ply you get different sized parts. Or if you assume the plywood is 8', but in reality the ply is 8'4" and you measure in 6" from one edge, you do not have a part that is 7'6" long, it is 7'10" long.

You boat looks fine. This is for the sake of discussion.

Jeff

Dane_Ger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dane_Ger »

This morning my buddy and I got the boat all 'squared up' . . . all of the diagonals were within 1/4" and most were less.

We then scribed the bottom panels and glued them up. Its supposed to be in the 70's here today so I think it will cure sufficiently to that we'll be able to stitch on the bottom tommorrow afternoon.

Preparing to scribe the bottom panels:

Gluing the butt block and bottom panels:
Last edited by Dane_Ger on Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Building the FL14

Dane_Ger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dane_Ger »

Today we stitched on the bottom, duct taped on the outside seams, and then flipped her over. We then re-trued the hull although since we were pretty careful while turning over, there wasn't much needed.

We then wetted out the bottom joints in the transom section, ran our first epoxy filets, and layed the fiberglass tape and wetted that out, per the instructions. I've seen prettier filets by some of the other builders here, but I was very pleased with our initial effort. And as most have described, we all tend to grow much more proficient in this skill as we gain a bit of practice.

Overall we continue to be amazed and pleased with how things keep coming together with each step and at how much we are enjoying the process! :D

Here are a couple of the new photos, plus more in the gallery.

Bottom panel stitched to the hull and seams duct taped

First round of epoxy filets and fiberglass tape
Building the FL14

Steve_MA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Steve_MA »

Good work! Starts to look like a boat in a hurry, doesnt it. You will definitely develop your own technique for doing fillets, etc as you go. For the vertical seams, dont be shy about creating a thick paste of wood glue or you will find your filllets dropping with gravity. I also found it useful to shape the corners with my fingers (wet with epoxy) as the epoxy firmed up.

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

Looking good, Dane! Your first fillets look a heck of a lot better than mine were! Keep posting more progress reports and pics - we are all interested in watching your progress and the encouragement we get from each other is one of the greatest things about this forum - especially when you hit a problem and know that there are others out there who are eager to assist. :)
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.

Dane_Ger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dane_Ger »

Keep posting more progress reports and pics - we are all interested in watching your progress and the encouragement we get from each other is one of the greatest things about this forum - especially when you hit a problem and know that there are others out there who are eager to assist.
Thanks Mike! I too think that the support and encouragement I saw on the forum is what convinced me to finally go forward on this project! I truly enjoy watching the progress of other builders as much as my own. :D
Building the FL14

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

What's that? Do I hear the sound of Jacques grinning? Thanks for being the catalyst for this experience for all of us. I'm allowed to say that, right? :roll:

ks

pirate
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by pirate »

amen,
your first fillets & seams look much better than mine (which is why none of my pictures are posted yet). nice work! i'm building the fl11, and am close to completion. addicting isn't it? i'm already planning my next 2 boats!

keep up the good work!
messing about with boats

Dane_Ger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dane_Ger »

Update: not as much accomplished this weekend as I would have liked; however, I did get the first coat of epoxy finished up in the transom area and the seams all laminated in the area forward of that.

Here are a couple of pictures and the latest will be added to the gallery later.

Getting a little cleaner and neater on my filets and fiberglass taping!?

Building the FL14