NC16 underway !

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
JollyLolly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

More pics added to gallery

Post by JollyLolly »

I have uploaded my next batch of pictures.

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... 284&pos=22

Thanks for looking.
Laurence
Be realistic.... expect miracles !!!
NC

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

Hi Laurence,

Just checking through the forum before starting the household chores that my wife usually does! Thanks for your words of encouragement on my thread - your prayers are very, very welcome.

Your boat is looking good! I also had trouble using the plastic bag method for fillets, and like you I found it easier to get neat fillets using a specially shaped plastic spoon (actually I used a cut-down kitchen spatula).

Looking forward to seeing more of your progress!
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.

JollyLolly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JollyLolly »

Did some major catching up with the photo gallery.

Please take a look at the latest pics starting from;

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... 284&pos=34

Thanks for Looking
Laurence
NC

JollyLolly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Travel Offer

Post by JollyLolly »

SPECIAL TRAVEL OFFER

In South Africa there is an area in Kwazulu Natal known as the 'Valley of a Thousand Hills"... in North America, there is the famous 'Niagra' waterfall, ...

Do you have a hankering to travel :?: :?: :?:

SAVE YOUR MONEY !!!

Just take a look at my boat, and you'll see the same views. Doesn't get any better than this.

I'm sure this question has been answered a zillion times, but how do I prevent this? Epoxy is too expensive to end up a powder on my garage floor. I'd rather have it on my boat, and be on the water.
Laurence
NC

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

Laurance,

First of all, it's looking great! Second, I just read this entire thread and I wanted to caution you, if you're going to leave the inside brightwork, to cover it with a UV resistant finish of some kind- a clear poly with UV inhibitors or something. UV will break down epoxy over time.

A good way to avoid the drips is to use a squeegy which you can buy from Jacques at boatbuidlerscentral to apply the epoxy- you can also probably find them locally at an autoparts store- they're used in autobody. It's just a plastic spatula that's made to spread bondo. It really helps extend the epoxy coverage and give a nice smooth finish. That said, it's tougher on the sides than on the bottom, it always is- gravity you know. Just remember, as with painting, it's better to go thin, thin, thin and do several coats, than it is to do one thick one.

-Dave

JollyLolly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JollyLolly »

Found this link, sounds like a good idea to me... I have tried a few, and they work...
PS. I know the guy selling these, so if anyone is interested, I can get them at a good price. Just send $$$ in unmarked envelopes to my address, and I'll arrange the rest.

I tried this so SWMBO wouldn't have to see me arriving home with more sandpaper than anything else 'boatbuilding', and it realy does work ...

Dave,
Thanks for the encouragement and advise. Yes, I know about UV protection. Will most Yacht Spar Varnishes do the job, or is there a particular 'epoxy' coating I should use?
Last edited by JollyLolly on Thu May 05, 2005 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laurence
NC

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

I would think SPAR varnishes have caught up with the times, but when in doubt...

JollyLolly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JollyLolly »

Haven't been very efficient in posting updates, but this weekend got to do some sanding and spread the fairing mix. After sanding the Niagra falls down to a reasonable level, I was left with a bunch of bright 'holes' which I sanded by hand to give the fairing compound something to grip to. The using leftovers from my trial kit, I mixed up some micro balloons and plastic fibres into some epoxy and filled the holes as best I could.

Unfortunately, I ran out of microblloons before I was finished, so had to settle for some West fairing additive 410 (I think) (that's all I could find on a Saturday afternoon). Haven't sanded yet, so can't say which worked better, if any. Then another coat of epoxy and over she'll go to complete the inside, which I'm leaving clear.

The committee is still deciding on the color, so I'll leave that until the inside is complete. That'll give the epoxy a few more days of cure time before I paint.

Dave, seems some have, and some haven't. The boat supply shop I went to on Saturday pointed out that some Spar varnishes are good for epoxy and others not. I only hope the one they recommended IS!
Laurence
NC

pirate
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by pirate »

take a look at this thread for some related information...
http://forums.bateau2.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7301
messing about with boats

JollyLolly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JollyLolly »

Thanks Pirate,

I've taken a look at the link...

Sounds like Rick applied the varnish to the raw wood. My question is what varnish to apply over epoxy (which I've already got on my rubrails). The thread does not make this clear, to me anyway. All I need is the UV protection for the epoxy.
Laurence
NC