NC16 underway !

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
nort
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by nort »

Bill, I second your second comment! :lol:

Greyfire
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Greyfire »

JollyLolly wrote:I'm a little pressed for time as she has to be splashed next weekend, June 4/5.
Laurence, so how did it go? I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about how easy she is to row and how stable she is. I'm thinking about building the NC16 next to replace my kayaks that I don't use, and I'm interested in your opinion.

-=- Greyfire

CMSgt
New Poster
New Poster

Post by CMSgt »

JollyLolly,
Got to admit, I do like that color. Any thoughts on interior color?

Shine/Nort,
I don't want to turn this into an SEC forum, but when "Go Dawgs, sic em" came up, I just had to chime in. Taking daughter back to UGA tomorrow. Nice drive through AR, TN, MS. Just wish we could eliminate Bama from the trip. Didn't qualify for AR school as she still has all her teeth.

JollyLolly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JollyLolly »

TODAY'S THE DAY

Started April 17, and today, 49 days later, we're off to the big dam to splash !!! Whoopeeeee!

I still have a couple things need doing, but can't wait any longer. My daughter's off to England for 6 weeks on Tuesday, so we gotta duit today :D

Paddles still need a whole bunch of sanding and varnishing, but hopefully they're functional. So, enough rambling...... allow me to formally present...

'Knysna Loerie'

CMSgt, decided up front I wanted the inside clear. Went for the orange to be as visible as possible to other boaters.

Greyfire, will only be going down to the water about 2:30 PST, but will be sure to report back. Weather looks a bit suspect, I don't want to go in the rain in case she gets wet... [-X can't have that, now can we? :lol:
Laurence
Be realistic.... expect miracles !!!
NC

JollyLolly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JollyLolly »

More pics posted.
http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... 284&pos=69

Thanks for looking.
Laurence
NC

JollyLolly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

SPLASH DAY !!! Yippeeee!

Post by JollyLolly »

Hi all,
June 04 saw the dawning of the official splash day. Weather looked a bit 'iffy' to start with, but ended up being just great. Only got to the water aroung 4.30 pm, but still allowed enough time for the first outing.
First off some Kudos:
Bateau, for the design, and hosting the forum which was a constant source of encouragement and inspiration.
All those boatbuilders who contribute, thank you for your advise, pictures and words of encouragement.
Short of missing a few, I would like to mention, Jacques, Mike Adams, Dane Ger, Laszlo, Nort, Rick, Charlie, Greyfire, DougN, Evan and any others who directly responded to questions, or gave personal encouragement (with appologies to anyone I may have left out).
THANK YOU !!!

LAUNCH DAY
In hind sight, we could have chosen a better spot to put in. Where we were, there was a lot of wind, tidal current and speed boat activity. This did allow for us to put our little vessel to the test, but as newbies, would have prefered a little calmer waters.

As to the performance of the NC16... I do not know enough about canoes and boat design to pass too much comment here, suffice to say, "she's great". As mentioned, the water conditions were a bit rough, so I felt the wind and currents pushed her around a bit, so maybe a 'keel' (if that's the right term) running down the centre would have helped, but more about that after we've done some river cruising.

I have posted some pics of the big day

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... 284&pos=72

The official naming... 'Knysna Loerie'
Laurence
NC

Laszlo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Laszlo »

Way to go Laurence!

How many times did you have to tell the "homemade boat" story?

Laszlo

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

NC 16

Post by cottontop »

8) Great looking boat!!!!!!!!! Love the propulsion unit(HA HA) Cottontop

nort
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by nort »

Way to go. I remember when we launched Lilith last year. It was really fun. Eve is still sitting on the front porch waiting for me to get back to work.

Those buckets also make good waterproof containers, crab buckets, 'mater pots and and whatever else your imagination can come up with. Having combined my wife's two and my two and then inheriting her mother's two, we go through lots of cat litter and had to come up with something to do with the buckets rather than throw them away.

Don't feel bad about your first scratch. The first time I floated Lilith, before I finished painting her, I dropped her out of the back of my pickup at about 30 mph. These canoes are tough. A little epoxy and a little paint and she was good as new.

Good job and now go out and enjoy your labors.

Greyfire
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Greyfire »

Congratulations, Laurence! It looks like you and your family really enjoyed your first outing. To me that's the most important part. I'd like my little boat to look good, but as long as she floats, and my wife and I have fun in her, I'll have succeeded. Looks to me like you did real well. Knysna Loerie looks like she handled the water just fine. You've really built yourself a nice little canoe. And you beat me to the water by a good month or two. :wink:

Did you find you had any problem handling her by yourself? Can you think of anything you'd have done differently now that you've been paddling? Compared to building her yourself, repairing anything that happens to her should be easy.

Now be sure to let us know when you go on your first day cruise. :)

-=- Greyfire
FL11