Yet another FL14 in progress.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
HokieBoatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by HokieBoatbuilder »

Hey everyone,

I found a great website yesterday that sells boat lettering and striping. Has anyone ever tried applying pinstripes to their boat like these instead of painting? http://boat-lettering.com/ You can go under the striping section and check it out. I ordered letters for my boat yesterday, I'm excited about it. I've been varnishing for now, and the last coat of varnish goes on the seats during my lunch break. I have a bit more fairing to do and then I'll be priming. My girlfriend has been out of town so I've been trying to spend a lot of time on my boat. Unfortunately I also have a thesis to write so I'm going to have to try and shift some attention away from the boat.
-Taylor

FL14

HokieByWater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by HokieByWater »

The boat looks great!

Go Hokies!!

http://www.techsideline.com

HokieBoatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Recent Pics

Hey Everyone,

I put 3 coats of pimer inside and out. Luckily with my 2 months of fairing I will be satisfied just from sanding the primer with 220 for a nice surface. I hope to paint her inside and out next weekend (vashon gray). The blue tape is covering varnished cherry rails and seats. Please excuse the dirty camera lens.
-Taylor

FL14

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

Taylor, your boat looks really sweet - congratulations! You've certainly made fast progress! Any idea when you expect to splash her?
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.

HokieBoatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thanks Mike. I started her on Feb. 23rd so I guess I have been moving along more than I thought. She goes in the water on June 25th. I just need to arrange transport.
-Taylor

FL14

HokieBoatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I have a question that I hope someone can answer.... After I sand the primer, do I need to do anything to the hull such as wash it before applying the topcoat?
-Taylor

FL14

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Get it as clean as reasonably possible - wipe it down with rags and acetone, then last hit it with a tack cloth (picks up anything).

HokieBoatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thanks. I assume that applies to S3. I can't decide if I want to brush the whole thing or if I want to roll and tip. I brushed on some of the primer but then realized I was crazy after trying a roller. I've read S3 topcoat brushes well though, so that's why I'm having trouble deciding.
-Taylor

FL14

JollyLolly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JollyLolly »

HBB, I've only put down one coat of topcoat so far, and still need to sand and do more coats, but my money's on 'roll and tip'.
Laurence
Be realistic.... expect miracles !!!
NC

HokieBoatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I probably will roll and tip since it seems to work so well. I refuse to use a foam brush since I bought this nice $20 one. I am officially ready for topcoat. I just finished sanding and I must say it feels great. I will apply the topcoat once my primer passes the cure test specified in the s3 paint literature. It says primer cures in 3 days in cool damp conditions... a perfect description of Blacksburg. My last primer coat was on Sunday. The boat looks way better than I thought it would so far. It's funny I've been ready to take a break from boat building for a long time and now my 13 year old brother is begging me to help him build a D4. He has the same amount of patience that I did at that age, so it looks like I will be the one sanding :?
-Taylor

FL14