Page 1 of 1

Yet another FL14 in progress.

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:02 am
by HokieBoatbuilder
Hey everyone,
I've attempted to upload some pictures of my boat (FL14). I started it Feb. 23, and I'm now fairing this inside for painting. I've already faired the outside as you can see. It's constructed of Meranti plywood and marine epoxy, and the outside of the hull is glassed with 6 oz. The holes in the frames are for deck plates, and the square of plywood near the stern is for a fishing rod rack I ordered. The seats and rubrail are solid cherry that I will be varnishing. My knees and outboard pad are made from poplar. I know a lot of people don't recommend poplar for boats, but I have a BS and soon an MS in wood science and forest products, and I say it is definitely OK for that part of the boat. I'm painting the boat vashon grey (S3) inside and out except for the varnished seats and rubrail. This is my first boat, and probably the only one I will build for a while. It has been fun.

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:06 am
by HokieBoatbuilder
Sorry, now it works

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:39 am
by Dane_Ger
Taylor,

Nice work! She looks great!

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:06 pm
by Mike Adams
Taylor,

Good to see some pics of your boat - keep 'em coming. My wife is a lot better now, so I hope to get back to my FL14 soon, but it looks like you might be in the water before me. You've done a real nice job. I see you've added plates for the oarlocks - are you planning to put an outboard on it? If so, what HP?

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:20 pm
by HokieBoatbuilder
Thanks Dane. I am having a time fairing the inside. I really wish I faired adequately before I attached the mid seat forward seat top. I have to sand kind of upside down and the angles are so steep I have to sand by hand. It's pretty tough in all the other places too when compared to the outside. I am lucky atleast I have 2 months before I will be capable of putting it in the water so I can take my time. Good luck with your priming this weekend. I know you said you don't keep up with Ohio State Bball, but you should really check this out: http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... 004/SPORTS

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:29 pm
by HokieBoatbuilder
Thanks Mike. I have been reading your post for a long time, it's extremely informative. Are you still going to build that DE23? After building all this sanding, I think I'd need a nice break. Glad to hear your wife is doing better. I'm probably just putting a trolling motor on the back eventually. I was checking out 55 pound thrust models. If I had my choice I'd buy that 5 hp briggs and stratton. I'll definitely have the ability to do that structurally. As of now I just have oars. I'm a poor college student and I blew my boats funds on the plywood and paint. I can't wait to see how your paint job comes out, sounds like it's going to be great.

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:38 pm
by Steve_MA
Thats why I faired the inside of mine before putting the seats on. I thought it would be easier....especially when I wanted the hatch areas to look good.

I glassed mine inside and out. All 4oz except for 9oz on the bottom. Did you find it was easier fairing the inside where you just had fiberglass tape and plywood to smooth as compared to the outside?

The boat looks really good. I like how you lowered the top of the frames a bit. Good idea. I am going to try to varnish the seats and rubrail too....we'll see. Time is not on my side so I might just go with paint.

Good work.

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:49 pm
by Mike Adams
HokieBoatbuilder wrote:Are you still going to build that DE23?
The FL14 was only ever intended to be practice for the DE23 and my wife and I are still keen to own a cabin cruiser in our retirement. However, the new DE25 looks so promising that I may decide to buy the plans for that and build it as designed, rather than make the modifications to the DE23 pilothouse that I had planned. I'm waiting for the study plans to be released so I can make a decision. If I do buy the DE25 plans, I have a friend who may be interested in buying the DE23 plans from me. Either way, I will finish the DE23 model!

I'm not sure when I will start the DE23/25 - I don't have sufficient space here in Canberra and as we expect to be retiring to Queensland within the next two years I may have to delay the project, or I may be able to start it by cutting the frames and panels and then storing them until I have the space to build. Still thinking about options on that.

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:58 pm
by HokieBoatbuilder
In my opinion the outside is easier because it's tough to put quickfair on the bends of the tape in the inside. I don't know if I explained that correctly, it is friday night. My early fiberglass work was pretty bad so it has really taken more fairing effort. When I faired the outside I decided to just take a wide putty knife and spread quickfair over the whole hull keeping the knife at a high angle. It worked out just fine altough I did use a ton of quickfair. Those cut down frames are a funny story..... the first day of boat building I cut all the frames and somehow cut one an inch and a half short. I then decided that I should make them all match up. Structurally it seems fine because I frequently roll the boat on its side.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:06 am
by HokieBoatbuilder
Just to update everyone, I"m about 1/3 through fairing the inside. I finally have the hang of fairing those difficult corners. I have switched to 40 grit sandpaper and I wish I had been using it all along, it works great and I think that high build primer will fill it no problem. I hope to finish fairing the boat on friday. I will then vacuum my shop and put on some S3 high gloss varnish. I've been woodworking for a few years now but I hate brush on polyurethane. I've learned so much with this boat, but I think one thing I would never do again is build a boat in the winter. I had trouble keeping my shop 45 degrees, and after it warmed up I realized how much better epoxy flows when it's warm, it seems to go a lot further. I could have used less if it were warmer. I hope to have some pictures of my varnish work by the end of the weekend. I think that I can almost see the finish line.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:50 am
by HokieBoatbuilder
Hey everyone,

I found a great website yesterday that sells boat lettering and striping. Has anyone ever tried applying pinstripes to their boat like these instead of painting? http://boat-lettering.com/ You can go under the striping section and check it out. I ordered letters for my boat yesterday, I'm excited about it. I've been varnishing for now, and the last coat of varnish goes on the seats during my lunch break. I have a bit more fairing to do and then I'll be priming. My girlfriend has been out of town so I've been trying to spend a lot of time on my boat. Unfortunately I also have a thesis to write so I'm going to have to try and shift some attention away from the boat.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:25 am
by HokieByWater
The boat looks great!

Go Hokies!!

http://www.techsideline.com

Recent Pics

Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:09 pm
by HokieBoatbuilder
Hey Everyone,

I put 3 coats of pimer inside and out. Luckily with my 2 months of fairing I will be satisfied just from sanding the primer with 220 for a nice surface. I hope to paint her inside and out next weekend (vashon gray). The blue tape is covering varnished cherry rails and seats. Please excuse the dirty camera lens.

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:27 am
by Mike Adams
Taylor, your boat looks really sweet - congratulations! You've certainly made fast progress! Any idea when you expect to splash her?

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:41 am
by HokieBoatbuilder
Thanks Mike. I started her on Feb. 23rd so I guess I have been moving along more than I thought. She goes in the water on June 25th. I just need to arrange transport.

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:59 am
by HokieBoatbuilder
I have a question that I hope someone can answer.... After I sand the primer, do I need to do anything to the hull such as wash it before applying the topcoat?

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:23 pm
by tech_support
Get it as clean as reasonably possible - wipe it down with rags and acetone, then last hit it with a tack cloth (picks up anything).

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:35 pm
by HokieBoatbuilder
Thanks. I assume that applies to S3. I can't decide if I want to brush the whole thing or if I want to roll and tip. I brushed on some of the primer but then realized I was crazy after trying a roller. I've read S3 topcoat brushes well though, so that's why I'm having trouble deciding.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:55 pm
by JollyLolly
HBB, I've only put down one coat of topcoat so far, and still need to sand and do more coats, but my money's on 'roll and tip'.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:10 pm
by HokieBoatbuilder
I probably will roll and tip since it seems to work so well. I refuse to use a foam brush since I bought this nice $20 one. I am officially ready for topcoat. I just finished sanding and I must say it feels great. I will apply the topcoat once my primer passes the cure test specified in the s3 paint literature. It says primer cures in 3 days in cool damp conditions... a perfect description of Blacksburg. My last primer coat was on Sunday. The boat looks way better than I thought it would so far. It's funny I've been ready to take a break from boat building for a long time and now my 13 year old brother is begging me to help him build a D4. He has the same amount of patience that I did at that age, so it looks like I will be the one sanding :?

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:38 pm
by JollyLolly
HBB, here's some sound advise on "Roll and Tip"
Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:47 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dukydo wrote:
I understand rolling paint, but what is roll and tip?

Duke

Evan Gatehouse answers the question in this thread... http://forums.bateau2.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8179

Here's another site with some good info http://www.sailingworld.com/article.jsp ... 7&exclude=
I felt I needed a break after changing my first sanding disc... Many discs later, I realize patience soon gives way to perseverence, and perseverence eventually leads to addiction. I don't know what I'm going to do when she's launched. My evenings and weekends will be dreadfully long. Summer is a taking a while to arrive here in BC, so who knows? V12 looks good :?:

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:47 pm
by HokieBoatbuilder
You should be proud, that canoe of yours is really nice. The V12 is a gorgeous boat. I wanted to build it but found it a little intimidating for a first boat. Looking at her shape though, I bet she really glides through the water. I've also thought the R13 with the lightweight ply would be a great boat. You can't beat it at 65 pounds.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:23 am
by JollyLolly
Thanks for the comments on my canoe.

R13's good, FL14's good, but I want the option to sail. prams are too small, and I would like to cartop, so I guess V12 it's going to be. V12 is only 30lb heavier than the lightweight R13, and 10lb lighter than the heavy version... would you be happy in the deep blue in a boat made of 4mm ply :?:

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:31 am
by HokieBoatbuilder
I know that the glass carries the bulk of the forces for these boats, but I have taken a few classes on wood mechanics and have a lot of faith in the principals behind these designs. I was talking to one of my professors who specializes in wood deterioration and wood mechanics, and he basically said that he is really sold on stitch and glue boats. He also says that if they are properly maintained they should have tremendous longevity. He tends to be very cautious when it comes to protecting wood from the elements, so he definitely convinced me.

My only experience in the ocean was sailfishing in Florida, and I felt like I was holding on for dear life in what was probably a 20' boat. My little brother was sick the whole time, it was awful. I would probably want a big boat for the ocean, but then again I don't have any experience. I don't really know anything about boating, and I've never been sailing, I just like to build stuff :D

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:00 pm
by HokieBoatbuilder
Well, my patience has finally come to an end. I primed Sunday but the primer passed the cure test specified by s3 and today and I painted the inside with S3 vashon gray :? It looks fantastic, best paint I've ever used. I know I was supposed to wait a week, but I just couldn't help myself. I'm going to continue my poor judgement and paint the outside tomorrow. I did 5 coats inside, I will probably do the same outside. I cannot contain my excitement. I will post pics of my completed boat tomorrow, I'll then go to the nearest bar and celebrate. I jumped into this thing head first, my friends, and parents thought I was crazy, but I can't wait to see what people say when they see my completed FL14.

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:46 am
by Dane_Ger
Allright Taylor! Way to go! . . . can't wait to see your boat in paint!! :lol:

My boat is done

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:47 pm
by HokieBoatbuilder
Well, I finished today. It took me 3 months. Thanks to everyone for their help. My workshop is cramped, but I'll post some better pictures when I launch her June 25th.

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:53 pm
by Dane_Ger
Very nice job, Taylor!! You should be very proud!

Can't wait to see her wet!!

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:44 pm
by JollyLolly
Well done HBB,

She really looks good. =D>

Pity you have to wait so long to get her in the water. What you going to do with your time while you wait :?:

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:07 pm
by HokieBoatbuilder
Thanks guys. I am waiting for transport. I think I will be fine with the wait though. I realized that I built this thing just to build it. At the same time, it will be nice to go fishing.

Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:02 pm
by Dukydo
The boat looks great and I wish I was that far along. It appears your building it in the basement. Will you be able to get her out?

Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:58 pm
by HokieBoatbuilder
Thanks for the compliment. I actually built it in my garage. The garage is pretty small, but it is not a problem to get it out of there, the door is wide. I felt like my boat took forever cause I spent 3 months on it, and two of those were basically spent sanding. It definitely takes as long as you want it to. I could have sanded for another month easy if I wanted to. I was ready to be done though.

Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:18 pm
by Dukydo
Again I say good looking Skiff. Does she have a name?

Duke

Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:34 am
by Mike Adams
Taylor,

I'm away from home on business right now, but decided to check out the posts I may have missed - I'm glad I did, as your boat looks REALLY nice! I especially like the stainless steel rod holders. Congratulations! =D>
Only three months to build? I have been building my FL14 for four months and I'm still not finished! Hopefully not long now, though, and if you are not planning to launch until 25 June I will not be far behind! I look forward to seeing your launch pics. Again, well done!

Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:38 am
by HokieBoatbuilder
Thanks Mike. The rodholder is one of my favorite things too. I ordered one previously that was white, but when it got here I realized it was a piece of junk, so I forked out the extra money for a better one. I think it was well worth it.

Duke, I'm naming her Cathlene after my grandmother who passed away recently. I haven't told my dad yet, it is kind of a suprise. I ordered lettering from this place:http://www.boat-lettering.com/ It is supposed to come soon, but I will wait till the paint cures to put it on there.

My uncle emailed me yesterday and said that he has a motor for me, so I am ready to go once I register with the state.

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:48 pm
by HokieBoatbuilder
I picked up my 1969 4 hp Johnson motor. I need advice on mounting it. I don't want to scratch the transom, so I would like to put some type of padding between the boat and motor. Any suggestions? I don't like what I've tried so far. I'd like dense rubber that I could cut to fit but I don't know where to find it.

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:11 am
by Mike Adams
HokieBoatbuilder wrote:I picked up my 1969 4 hp Johnson motor. I need advice on mounting it. I don't want to scratch the transom, so I would like to put some type of padding between the boat and motor. Any suggestions? I don't like what I've tried so far. I'd like dense rubber that I could cut to fit but I don't know where to find it.
You could try a shoe repair store to see if they have some thick rubber soles.

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:01 am
by Deltaskipper
HokieBoatbuilder wrote:I picked up my 1969 4 hp Johnson motor. I need advice on mounting it. I don't want to scratch the transom, so I would like to put some type of padding between the boat and motor. Any suggestions? I don't like what I've tried so far. I'd like dense rubber that I could cut to fit but I don't know where to find it.
Cabella's has an Outboard motor mount pad for what you are trying to do.
http://www.cabelas.com/

8)

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:52 am
by HokieBoatbuilder
I like the one from Cabela's but it is too wide to fit in the slot I cut for the motor. I don't want to pay $30 if I would still have to cut it down. Any other suggestions? Again, I'm looking for a way to protect my transom from motor scratches and dings.

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:46 pm
by Deltaskipper
I did a Yahoo search on sheet rubber and came up with a bunch of industrial suppliers. They also listed hard and soft neoprene which may be what you're after. Their prices for minimum quantities were more than you want to pay. You might have some luck finding a local industrial supplier that may cut you a deal on their odd lot leftovers. They may even give you a sample that would be enough for what you want to do. I would think a square foot would be enough.
Have you found any liquid rubber, or similar material, that you could coat the motors clmping areas with instead of the hull?
I like your idea because I have thought of the same thing too. It also works as a sound damper. 8)

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:19 pm
by HokieBoatbuilder
I didn't think of liquid rubber, but that is a good idea. I've made a temporary plate from two pieces of plywood connected with a thick brown shoe lace. It actually looks pretty good and will serve the purpose for the time being.

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:31 pm
by HokieBoatbuilder

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:08 pm
by Deltaskipper
I use the liquid tape (West Marine's) on the electrical connections in my boat. It seems a little thin and not dureable enough for a motor mounting. The other products look like they might work. I will be interested in what success you have.
As a side note if you are using two peices of wood that are not attached to your hull are you using a safety chain attached to your motor and hull? I would think that you might get an unstable mounting that could come loose with vibration.
8)

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:18 pm
by bbuckl
Self-stick vinyl floor tile?
Rubberized floor mat in carpeting department? Or from your car.
Cutting board?
Dishdrain?
Floor protectors for feet of furniture?

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:35 pm
by HokieBoatbuilder

Here's a photo of the vinyl lettering I bought from Canada. I am very happy with it. Launch is one week from tomorrow. More pictures to come. I'm helping my little brother build a D4 starting next week, you can see his thread in the small boats section. His name is Beowulf (though not in real life).

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:07 pm
by Mike Adams
That looks real sweet, Taylor! Nice name, too. Look forward to seeing your splash pics.

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:20 pm
by ross61
For the transom mount I used inexpensive cutting boards. One on each side of the transom. These are the white plastic type. $1 each at the local dollar store. This was not my idea. As usual I got it from someone else on this forum - just can't remember who, but thanks because they work and look good.

Ross

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:25 pm
by Steve_MA
Thats looks pretty sharp. I like the font/characters; quite unique.

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:04 pm
by HokieBoatbuilder

I launched my boat last weekend. I have been fishing out of it all week on vacation. This is the only picture I have I will post some more in a couple of days as soon as I get them. She handles pretty well and feels extremely light on the water. The best thing about this boat and the biggest suprise is how well it rows. I am not a rower, but it was a piece of cake. The boat is plenty stable. The lake was extremely crowded this weekend and she jumped over a lot of wakes from the gazillion horsepower ski boats that seem to be so popular here. I pushed her around with a 4 hp motor. I'm helping my brother with a V10 next.

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:21 pm
by Mike Adams
Congratulations, Taylor! She looks real nice in the water. Love to see some more pics, but hey, having fun with your boat comes first!

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:10 pm
by Dukydo
Taylor.... Nice job on that skiff. You look to be on the starboard of her and she doesn't look to be at all tippy.
My FL14 is still strapped to pallets and in boxes. I'll not be able to get to her until next spring unfortunately. I'm turning GREEN.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:31 am
by HokieBoatbuilder

thanks guys. Here are some more pictures.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:45 pm
by ks8
She looks real nice on the water. Now who was it that is in charge of the Bateau Photo Calendar?

ks

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:05 pm
by Dane_Ger
Taylor,

Congratulations on the splash! She looks great on the water!!

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:42 pm
by richwink
You inspire us all to continue sanding argh!

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:33 pm
by Rich_L
Taylor:

Great job on your boat!
If you're still looking for rubber to cushion your outboard motor mount, consider this exercise equipment mat that I bought to cut and lay on the floor of my V12 (at least for temporary use on occasion, i.e. sound deadening while fishing; or protection from dirt and abrasion when on an "expedition"). It's actually quite dense:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=3357068 You'll find it in the store also. But you'd of course have a lot more than needed for the motor mount.

I enjoy seeing you in your boat in action. It's what those of us still building are looking forward to. Keep those pictures coming.

Once again, great job! Congratulations!

Rich