Page 1 of 1

NC16 Build: A Comedy of Errors

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:14 pm
by JasonMN
Please excuse my attempt at a clever thread title.

Anyways, I started my NC16 build on 8/13/05 by picking up 2.5 sheets of 6mm bs1088 Okoume from a local source. In the past few days I have completed the following tasks:

- Cut out panels
- Glued butt blocks in place
- Temporarily and loosely taped hull together and put on saw horses to make sure it looks like a boat and not a submarine (looks like a boat)

The following are the steps I will complete next:

- Take apart hull and sand interior with 120 or 220
- Put back on sawhorses and stitch with duct tape and cable ties

A few questions I have, or “What would Bateau2 do?â€

Re: NC16 Build: A Comedy of Errors

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:26 pm
by Rick
[quote="JasonMN"]The following are the steps I will complete next:

- Take apart hull and sand interior with 120 or 220
- Put back on sawhorses and stitch with duct tape and cable ties

A few questions I have, or “What would Bateau2 do?â€

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:48 pm
by Lon
Hey Bateau, GREAT quote:
"The greatest thing about S&G building is that you can make any number of sloppy errors and the material will either cover it up or make repairs trivial. I find it liberating after spending the last 15 years making cabinets where every tiny mistake shouts its presence to the world."

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:59 pm
by alball
I just finished building a d15 indian river skiff and I wish I had taken greater care with the details. I think precoating is a great idea, particularly on surfaces which will be interior surfaces. I found coating or painting the interior of the boat back breaking work.

I also think masking the fillets is a good idea...just make sure to pull the tape before the fillets thicken. I think my fillets would have been much neater if I had done this.

If this kind of craftsmanship is important to you then its important. I am looking forward to winter time to adress some areas in my d15 which I am just not happy with.

I have been very impresed with some of the craftsman ship I have seen in pictures in the gallery. I was admiring the work of WobblyLegs C17. sweet!

al

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:10 pm
by JasonMN
It's ready for fillets. I got to excited and ended up taping it all together without pre-coating the panels liek I planned. I was anxious to see her take shape. I still plan on using masking tape though to get a clean fillet line since I want a bright finish on the interior.

Many more pictures in my gallery if anyones interested.

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:25 pm
by alball
looks good! It is exciting to see the boat take shape from the flat pieces, eh?

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:44 pm
by JasonMN
Okay. The fillets and inside taping are done. The masking tape worked great for my fillets. They left a really clean line. My fiberglass tape is a little wavy however and i tried to get it as straight as possible. Hopefully additional epoxy and sanding will hide the lines somewhat. One problem I ran in to was mixing sufficient amounts of fillet material. I had to make like 3 or 4 batches. I'll know in the future how much it takes I guess and it will go much faster.

Next Steps:
- Sand outside chine to 3/8" radius
- Fill Gaps with fillet material
- Lay the glass

I'll post some picture updates later tonight.

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:18 pm
by bateau-webmaster

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:27 pm
by blcapt
So are you advising to sand the interior after the butt blocks are harden and before the temporary stich?
Thanks