FL14 "Lake Dreamer" launched at last!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Lon
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lon »

Fine craft , Mike. Good work.
The bow high attitude with 7.5 HP WOT in a displacement hull FL-14 is absolutely normal.
If you place the rocker bottomed bare hull on a flat driveway and press down on the transom until the most aft two feet or so of bottom is touching the concrete, the bow will be quite high. Same attitude results when adding power beyond that required for displacement speed.
Solo, my 5 HP with a tiller extension was more than enough power.
The boat will cruise serenely level with great freeboard at 5-8 mph with 5 HP and a load of 750lbs. AND row very well.
Mike - you know all this - I say it for others.
Lon FL14, GV11
Montana

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

Thanks, Lon - I'm not very experienced with boats (this is my first) and your comments have confirmed what I was thinking. I have an Eagle Fisheasy 240 portable sonar (the transducer attaches to the transom via a suction cup) and I know that Eagle do a speed sensor for this unit as an accessory. If I can get hold of one it will be interesting to note the speed at WOT and then compare it with the speed at, say, half throttle. I suspect you are correct and that hull speed will be reached well before WOT.
BTW, the sonar was useful over the weekend for determing bottom depth and submerged trees - particularly important in Burrinjuck as the lake was created by daming the Murrumbidgee River - lots of drowned trees on the bottom and the upper branches of these trees are not very far below the surface in some places!
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.

JollyLolly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JollyLolly »

Well done Mike,

My timing could not have been better. I've been absent from the forum for some time, and thought "let me just check in on you Down Under"... and there they were, LAUNCH PICS.

Laurence
Laurence
Be realistic.... expect miracles !!!
NC

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

Thanks, Laurence - good to hear from you. Are you still enjoying 'Knysna Loerie' and have you thought about building another boat yet?

Vman777
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Vman777 »

Looking good Mike! 8) 8) Now I guess you are looking forward to getting started on the Nina :)

David

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

Vman777 wrote:Looking good Mike! 8) 8) Now I guess you are looking forward to getting started on the Nina :)
David
Yes, I am - the only trouble is, I have to pay for my daughter's wedding in January first...! :roll:

Barney
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Barney »

Mike,

Great work! Looks like you enjoyed the launch day! I'm sure there'll be plenty of fish caught in her! :D

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

Thanks Barney. I sure hope so, but I'm as much a novice at fishing as I am at boating! Still, I'm not too old to learn new tricks!

CT_Mart
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CT_Mart »

Fantastic job Mike. I've followed your progress throughout the build. Great to be able to sit back and enjoy it with the family after all those hours of work.
Marty

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

Thanks, Marty,
I don't know about 'sitting back and enjoying it' - my wife has a long list of chores for me to do before my daughter's wedding in January! :roll:
I also think I'm having epoxy withdrawal symptoms! :lol: I've been thinking hard about how I would like to build the LB22 when I can get to it in the new year and I'm impatient to start as I so much enjoyed building "Lake Dreamer".