FL14 Pictures Finally

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Great Job!

Good pictures. Thanks!

ks

rjezuit
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by rjezuit »

Baba I have heard of using PVC pipe under the back seat and putting in the plug from the outside. Maybe two plugs, one on the inside and one out. The rear seat is filled with foam so it will not fill up, plus the epoxy should seal it well. It got to be a pain bailing out the boat. One time last year we got a thunder storm in an otherwise dry summer and I had water up over the rear seat top to bail. Rick

Dukydo
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dukydo »

A drain is a good idea if your boat will be exposed to rain. The drain plugs on the market are expandable so not much chance of leakage. I think I might add an extra thickness of plywood where it goes through the stern, just for stability.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Dukydo wrote:A drain is a good idea if your boat will be exposed to rain. I think I might add an extra thickness of plywood where it goes through the stern, just for stability.
You mean like this? That is, the one on the bottom of the transom... (not the ones on the floor) ...

I probably did not need it for only the plug, but I'm also through bolting the lower gudgeon through that plate.

ks

rjezuit
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by rjezuit »

KS8, it's hard to see in the picture, but I was thinking of drilling at floor level through the compartment from both ends and putting in a PVC pipe to connect the holes. I wish I would have done this prior to putting in the foam, and the seat top. It would have been a lot easier and I could have added extra epoxy inside the compartment. I think it will work as long as I am extrs sure of the epoxy and sealing job. The only other change I would have made would be to eliminate the rocker so the boat would plane. I still might, by adding a false bottom to the rear half. Rick

baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 »

I saw a drain plug on an aluminum Jon Boat. It was screwed into a metal pipe sticking out of the inside of the transorm.

It was a cheap little thing...I won't feel confident about having it on a boat I spend a year building.

I like the idea of adding extra plywood pieces where the drain goes through (adding stability), plus being able to add the plug on both sides of the pipe. Probably an over kill but one of those feel good things... :?

rjezuit
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by rjezuit »

I doubled up the transom already and added some gussets to stiffen the bottom. If I did things again, Iwouid triple 3/8" the transom just for looks. It is plenty strong, just the extra 3/8" would make it look more substantial. It would match better with the wide look of the rub rails. Rick

Dukydo
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dukydo »

The type of drain I am thinking of can be seen at:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/to ... clDrill;12

On the top right you see a snap tite plug and on the lower right a drain tube.
I'm sure with a little extra work you can still work it in. You would have to run a pvc pipe under the rear seat from the tube forward to the front of the rear seat so that water could drain back through the pvc to the drain plug. The snaptite would always be there (at the base of the stern and on the outside) you simply pull it to drain. If your boat is outside exposed to the weather I would leave it out until time to go boating. REMEMBER THE PLUG when launching. Many a boat has sunk because that rule wasn't rememberd. 8O
I hope this is of some help.

baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 »

Dukydo,

This is good stuff...do you see any problems with aluminum/brass, PVC and ply all bonding together to make this drain system work...

Essentially then you would add the drain tube and plug on both sides of the PVC.

Sounds pretty good to me...

Dukydo
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dukydo »

I don't foresee any problems as far as bonding is concerned. Most, if not all production boats have a drain tube and plug. As for the drain tube being at both ends of the pvc that would be an option. It would for sure dress it up and put a finished look to it.

Almost time for final playoff games so gotta go. GO SEAHAWKS that is.