Page 1 of 1

Drain tube flaring tool

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:31 am
by Larry B
Hey Guys,
Just wanted to keep Cracker Larrys tool exchange going.

I've got a set of flaring tools 1" and 1 1/4" that I'd like to put in the tool exchange. I'm not using them anymore and don't plan on building another boat, as much as I'd like to build another one, it's just not going to happen.

So if someone needs the tool just let me know and I'll ship it out to you, As Cracker Larry did, only cost to you is shipping to the next guy.

Hope this helps some builders.

Larry B
btw, Cracker Larry has used this set that I'm offering, I sent it to him awhile back when his was out being used by someone else.

Re: Drain tube flaring tool

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:52 am
by Dutch1
Yes please! I will need one soon to flair mine. I was trying to decide if I wanted to buy one the other day to complete the job. And, I'll gladly ship it to the next person.

I'll send you a PM with my address.

Steve

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:07 pm
by Larry B
Steve,
I got your info, should go in the mail tomorrow
Larry B

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:38 pm
by Larry B
Steve,
Flaring tools went out today, I'll send tracking info to you PM

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:44 pm
by Dutch1
Excellent! Thank you very much! This site and the people on it are awesome!! I'll let everyone know when I'm done with them.

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:13 pm
by Jeff
Dutch1, give me a call early next week and we can discuss BMS Jack Plates!! I am up in Saint Augustine tonight and most of tomorrow!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:26 pm
by cape man
Pay it forward!

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:28 am
by gonandkarl
I do not need such a tool but I am nosy how do you use it with all these washers next to some nuts ?

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:53 am
by Fuzz
Karl there is a "forcing cone" at each end. You have a stud, put a nut on it, place two washers on the stud and the the forcing cone. After you set your drain tube in place you run the stud through it install forcing cone, washers and nut. Tighten the nuts to flare the drain tube. Easier to do than explain :D

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:28 pm
by Dutch1

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:25 pm
by cape man
Richard needs a flaring tool for the FS18. Who has the one that Cracker Larry started sending around years ago?

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:08 pm
by Dutch1
I have them.

Richard,
PM me and I'll send them to you.

Steve

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:17 pm
by Dutch1
I replied to quick before I realized who you were talking about. I PM'd him.

Steve

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:56 pm
by Larry B
cape man wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:25 pm Richard needs a flaring tool for the FS18. Who has the one that Cracker Larry started sending around years ago?
Capeman, don't know what happened to Cracker Larry's, these are the ones I had and put them up for use.
I sent them to Dutch1

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:39 pm
by cape man
Good on you! Might be worth a search for the Cracker's...

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:30 pm
by cape man
Found the last posted location... Chopper Man!

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:40 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Hi Dutch,
I sent you a pm, thank you!
Larry and Craig, thanks. 8)

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:04 pm
by fishgitr
Aripeka Angler wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:40 pm Hi Dutch,
Could I possibly borrow this flare tool?

AA, We spoke before and you are going to do drains out of the sides of your sole.. Are you putting a brass drain tube there or just drilling the plywood?

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:51 pm
by Aripeka Angler
fishgitr wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:04 pm
Aripeka Angler wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:40 pm Hi Dutch,
Could I possibly borrow this flare tool?

AA, We spoke before and you are going to do drains out of the sides of your sole.. Are you putting a brass drain tube there or just drilling the plywood?
Fishgtr,
I have drilled the drains through the sides of the hull. I have sized the holes for 1" id drain tubes. I beefed up the thickness of the hull where the hole is drilled so the plug doesn't protrude through the hull side when the drains are plugged. I am really happy with the setup. 8)
Dutch wants the flaring tool back after I finish using it tomorrow. If he is not quite ready for the tool, I'm sure he will let us know so I can send it to you first.

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:31 pm
by fishgitr
Thanks AA..can you send post a picture on how you did that drain area? Thanks man!

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:44 am
by stickystuff
West Marine carries a flaring tool. Made by Moellar. Cost is $9,99 I found this on line by typing drain tool on google search. List West Marine. Click on West Marine add and you can buy direct for this price. Merry Christmas everybody. :D

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:46 am
by fishgitr
Thanks StickyStuff!! AA I will just go to the west marine by my house and get one. Then we can have another one circulating around on here.

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:08 am
by Larry B
Thats for the 1" drain tubes. If you are using the 1 1/4" drain tubes you need the 1 1/4" flanging tool. The ones circulating around here are both sizes.

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:47 pm
by fishgitr
I am using the 1"

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:08 am
by Aripeka Angler
fishgitr wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:46 am Thanks StickyStuff!! AA I will just go to the west marine by my house and get one. Then we can have another one circulating around on here.
Gotcha. I will send the traveling set back to Dutch.

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:27 pm
by Dutch1
AA and Fishgitr,
I was away for a few days from the forum and didn't see this updated thread. If Fishgitr needs them now send them to him.

Fishgitr,
If I get em first I'll connect with you and get them to you.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

Steve

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:17 pm
by Aripeka Angler
The well traveled set of flaring tools are on their way back to Dutch1 in Tallahassee, Florida. Sent them out this morning.
Thanks LarryB and Steve. :wink:

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:57 pm
by boguesounder
Dutch1,
Did CL's flaring tools find their way to you? If so, are they available for me to borrow? Happy to pay postage and return to wherever. Perhaps I should send a PM also. Will do.

Thanks!

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:30 am
by Dan_Smullen
boguesounder wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:57 pm Dutch1,
Did CL's flaring tools find their way to you? If so, are they available for me to borrow? Happy to pay postage and return to wherever. Perhaps I should send a PM also. Will do.

Thanks!
Is this thread still alive? I'm looking for a flaring tool myself. Let me know if it's still floating around.

Thanks!

Posted: Thu May 04, 2023 8:23 pm
by FlounderPounder
Dan_Smullen wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:30 am

Thanks!
Is this thread still alive? I'm looking for a flaring tool myself. Let me know if it's still floating around.

Thanks!

Dan, did you ever end up locating and getting the flaring tool? I bought a cheep one from Amazon, but question how well it will work. If you happened to have located this, do you mind sending it my way once you’re done?? I will of course pay the shipping both directions…

Although, the lack of recent replies to this threads leads me to believe the flaring tool or lost and/or forgotten about. But figured it couldn’t hurt to try…

Posted: Thu May 04, 2023 8:48 pm
by Dan_Smullen
FlounderPounder wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:23 pm
Dan_Smullen wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:30 am

Thanks!

Thanks!

Dan, did you ever end up locating and getting the flaring tool? I bought a cheep one from Amazon, but question how well it will work. If you happened to have located this, do you mind sending it my way once you’re done?? I will of course pay the shipping both directions…

Although, the lack of recent replies to this threads leads me to believe the flaring tool or lost and/or forgotten about. But figured it couldn’t hurt to try…
I felt the same. Worth a try, but tool is likely rolling around in the bottom of someone tool chest. Thankfully I made it through my build without the need.

Posted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:07 pm
by cape man
I used it 12 years ago and can't remember who I sent it to. So cool that it's still being looked for. Whoever stopped sending it should be ashamed... 8)

Posted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:24 pm
by bklake
[/quote]

[/quote]

I used a cheap Sea Dog flaring tool, probably from amazon. I broke it on the first use but it eventually worked well. Now, the rest of the story.

I'll try to give the Cliff Notes version. Carolina Skiff J14. Drain hole is drilled through a solid but thin fiberglass section of the transom. The J14 is not a boat that sees a lot of fussing and fine finish work. The drain was always a little too big to fit a drain plug and only had 1/4" of thickness to seal on. I decided I was going to build up the area and put a proper drain tube in. I prep it, cut the drain tube to the correct length and go to install it. I tightened down on the nut, and got no flare. Standard solution is a bigger hammer or in this case more leverage. First step was long pattern wrench. No good. Out come the 24" breaker bar and impact rated socket. I turn that thing so hard, the bolt snaps and I almost lose my tool and breaker bar in the water. Yes, I was working on a floating dock and the transom was hanging in the breeze so I could get to it. Time to take a break and use the tool between my ears. I retrieve all the tool pieces, tube and dry assemble everything on the bench. Not bent over the transom, balancing delicately over the cold water while grabbing at expensive tools and glasses falling off it was easy to see that the two haves of the flaring tool need at least 3/4" of transom thickness to work. When the two halves come together, there is a 3/4"ish gap between the flaring ends. My transom was only 1/2" thick after I built it up so the two halves of the tool were touching before any flaring happened. I successfully tested the compressive strength of the tool and it passed. The tensile strength of the bolt did not pass.

I ended up using a hardened washer and one half of the tool and got a successful squeeze and flare. It was very easy and did not stress the tool at all. I wouldn't worry about the cheap tool failing you (too much). Lessons learned: There is a minimum panel thickness these will work on. Any more than box end wrench pressure and something isn't right.