OC17 plans - frame spacing and panel dimensions?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
RonB
New Poster
New Poster

OC17 plans - frame spacing and panel dimensions?

Post by RonB »

I have plans for both the C17 and the OC17. I'm leaning towards actually building the OC, as it is a better fit for my current circumstances.

Comparing the plans, the C17 has dimensions for the frame spacing and panel shapes. The OC17 plans do not.

If the panel drawings were blown up to actual 4x8 sheets, the lines will be ~1/2" thick, which I don't think is really accurate enough for a nice boat.

Should I use the dimensions from the C17 plans and just wing it for the parts that are different, or is there another source for these dimensions for the OC17?

Regards,
RonB

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OC17 plans - frame spacing and panel dimensions?

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Obviously wait for the designer to reply, but I can tell you that you must use the dimensions. The designer has stated explicitly on several occasions that scaling from the lines drawings is a recipe for problems.

They really should be included in the OC17, but if yours are missing, I'd build the C17 hull and put the OC17 top on, it's the same hull AFAIK.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

RonB wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:14 pm I have plans for both the C17 and the OC17. I'm leaning towards actually building the OC, as it is a better fit for my current circumstances.

Comparing the plans, the C17 has dimensions for the frame spacing and panel shapes. The OC17 plans do not.

If the panel drawings were blown up to actual 4x8 sheets, the lines will be ~1/2" thick, which I don't think is really accurate enough for a nice boat.

Should I use the dimensions from the C17 plans and just wing it for the parts that are different, or is there another source for these dimensions for the OC17?

Regards,
RonB
RonB,

Please check your plans. The OC17 plans most certainly have the Frame Spacing and Panel Shapes. When you purchased the plans, there was a folder called "Large Sheets" in the digital download. In this file you will find sheets called "Stations" "Frames" and "Expanded Plates". They all have page numbers that begin with "D". Please give us a call at the shop or email us if you cannot find them.

-Reid
reid@boatbuildercentral.com
772-742-8535
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The dimensions are there. Please do not scale from blueprints, I give all dimensions on the plans. Look at what Reid explained and it should work. If not, I will help. Please be patient, I check the forum once a day.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

RonB
New Poster
New Poster

Post by RonB »

Thanks, Reid and Jaques.

I looked for them, but did not see them.

Now, I look again, and there they are!

I hope my future questions aren't as stupid ;-)

Regards,
RonB
Reid wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:03 pm
RonB wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:14 pm I have plans for both the C17 and the OC17. I'm leaning towards actually building the OC, as it is a better fit for my current circumstances.

Regards,
RonB
RonB,

Please check your plans. The OC17 plans most certainly have the Frame Spacing and Panel Shapes. When you purchased the plans, there was a folder called "Large Sheets" in the digital download. In this file you will find sheets called "Stations" "Frames" and "Expanded Plates". They all have page numbers that begin with "D". Please give us a call at the shop or email us if you cannot find them.

-Reid
reid@boatbuildercentral.com
772-742-8535

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

RonB no stupid questions on the Forum, we are here to help you. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978