GF 16 cooler solution and hatches

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Yorkshire-Dry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

GF 16 cooler solution and hatches

Post by Yorkshire-Dry »

Lucked out today, went down to the Home Hardware to check out cooler options, It is still winter here in Revelstoke BC so wasn't expecting alot of choice. There wasn't, out of a choice of one it was the right fit. I had 14 1/2" height to play with, it was exactly that height 8)

As you can see it should work pretty good

Lots of other shots of my hatch configuration in my gallery at
http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=11418

Got one question, :?: how have any of you secured your hatches, I'm thinking leave then unfixed and secure with strong magnetic catches. Let me know if I'm missing something here or can it be that simple?

Thanks,

YD
GF 16 built and loving it

jasonmcintosh
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jasonmcintosh »

You may want to buy 3 or 4 more of those coolers since they fit so well...

I did not secure the hatches on my GF18. The one I mounted my rear seat to will come open when I pull it on the highway if I don't turn the seat around. With the seat turned around, they all stay closed w/o any problems.

So long as they is no way for the air to get into the seat and "push" the hatch open, I think you'll be fine.

Jason
Hopefully fishing from my GF18

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I didn't secure the hatches on mine either. Just a snug fit holds them in place. No hinges, no latches. So far so good. If I'm going to trailer on the highway, I take the hatches off and put them in the seat locker. I don't think they'll blow off, but I don't chance it.

I like to have the hatch covers free, to use the bottom as cutting boards, or to make sandwiches on. Try to keep them separate :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

more good ideas

Post by robbiro »

YD
I have learned a bunch watching the build that you and Tim have going on along with Larry's running commentary and good ideas. This may be a challenge, but it will be easier because some of you have already been there and are not afraid to post a response to a problem, or to figure out an answer for yourselves and pass it along.

Looking GOOD!!!

Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W
GF-16 FIRST LIGHT finished; D-5 Crusader '08 finished, PY 12 plans in hand

Yorkshire-Dry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Yorkshire-Dry »

Thanks Robbie,

all I learned was from the GREAT builders on this site. I wouldn't of had the b---s to do this without this support. It is like having a group of friends helping you to build.

This is a fantastic community.

YD

Yorkshire-Dry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Yorkshire-Dry »

whoa, double post,

YD

bharbaugh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bharbaugh »

YD,

If I could add some advice on haches. I have a GF16 and I went without hinges or handles for about a year. I kept a paint can opener handy to get the hatches open and it worked fine. What I hated, was the fact that if the boat got rained on or washed, I always had to bail and sponge out the compartments. Partly because I did not put weep holes in the compartments either. But, nevertheless, I ended up buying some nice waterproof turn to lock hatches on Ebay for a real low price. I love them and do not know why I went so long without them.

Also, have you thought about where your gas tank and battery will go? I put mine in the mid seat because the boat ran much, much better. I also keep a 10ft cast net in the front which really helps to hold the nose down.

Now I'm afraid I have let the cat out of the bag and Cracker Larry will find out that I can cast a net from the deck of my Gf16 without falling in. (Private Joke).

Boat looks great.

Brian
Gf16

Gettin It
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gettin It »

Hey guys I just started building a GF16 and was wondering were to put the gas tank. I am leaning towards inside the middle seat for weight distribution. I gues my question is what set up did all others use for their fuel tank and what type of tank/ venting did you use. Thank you in advance.

Justin
Get It!

Yorkshire-Dry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Yorkshire-Dry »

Bharbaugh; thanks for the advice, yes I have and I'm planning gas tank in the bow and battery in the middle, also I have a 45# Springer who will take over possesion of the casting deck, nose into the wind all the way :D

My compartments are designed to allow water in and out easy. I never fish in the rain :) and washing down should be easy with a quick dry out to avoid any possible rot.

Justin: Doesn't seem to be many people who have done built in gas tanks on this size of boat. I'm just using a portable 6 gal.

YD

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Like YD, my gas is going in the bow and the battery in the mid-seat, port side. I don't like batteries farther forward than this as you'll beat them to death with waves.

I'm also only using a 6 gallon portable to start with. If I find I need more capacity I'll throw in a second portable or get a 10-12 gallon to fit that area. I've got a 13-15 gallon that is 1-2 inches too tall to fit under the deck. It was not worth it for me to modify the boat to fit the tank.

Brian,

I put a hand grab handle in my lid and will not be connecting it with a hinge. I did get some very cool clips from a boat builder buddy of mine that will hold it in securely. I'll post some pics once I get them installed.

Tim