foot controlled trolling motor on a GF-16

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

foot controlled trolling motor on a GF-16

Post by robbiro »

Has anyone tried to mount a foot controlled trolling motor on a GF-16. Any ideas on how to build the area for the mount to fit on. I know that it would have to be level with the top of the bow to work properly. Would this mean that I could have to extend the front deck and build the mount crossways at the point of the bow? Any advice will be appreciated. I am trying to get all my ideas laid out before I start cutting my ply (not ordered yet, but soon).

Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W
GF-16 FIRST LIGHT finished; D-5 Crusader '08 finished, PY 12 plans in hand

DaveD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by DaveD »

Robbie,

I have a hand control bowmount Minn Kota on a 16' alum. jon. I mounted it so that the shaft when lowered is centered on the bow. As long as you can get close you will be OK. The mount is raised on a block to clear the 2" lip or gunnel around the front deck. It's angled so that the steering head is still "inside " the gunnel when raised. In other words , not hanging over the side. Mine is a long shaft RT-55. You really only need a deck large enough for the actual mount but it's good to have something to strap the thing down to while trailering or rough water. You should reinforce the mounting area also.

Dave

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

thanks

Post by robbiro »

Dave,
Thanks for the advice on trolling motor. I spent some time in your neck of the woods many years ago (Ocean City area) and really enjoyed seeing the beach and doing some back bay fishing, hope that you get the chance to enjoy it as much as I did.

Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

thanks

Post by robbiro »

Dave,
Thanks for the advice on trolling motor. I spent some time in your neck of the woods many years ago (Ocean City area) and really enjoyed seeing the beach and doing some back bay fishing, hope that you get the chance to enjoy it as much as I did.

Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

thanks

Post by robbiro »

Dave,

Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

thanks

Post by robbiro »

Dave,

Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W