Two boats sharing one motor?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Rob Eades
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Two boats sharing one motor?

Post by Rob Eades »

I've got my heart set on building a LB22 this year.But since all boats are compromises,how about builging a GV15 to share the same 40 horse motor.I would imagine using some sort of rolling hoist to make this doable.

Since I am basically a sailor the largest motor I've ever dealt with was an 8.Is this a dumb idea?

Rob

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo »

Rob my 50hp motor is over 225lbs. It might be a little tough to move over all the time. A hoist would be nice, but keep in mind the clearance you will need from the skeg of the motor to the top of the gunnels while the boat is also on the trailer. Its possible, but a tremendous amount of work.

Each changeover would include disconnecting the electrical system, the controls, the fuel system, and steering system. Then you must lift the motor and reattach each system (doubling the cost of those systems due to redundancy anyways).

If your seeking personal opinions, a nice 4 stroke for the LB22, and a used 2-smoke for the GV. In the end you will spend more time on the water, less time moving engines, and probably be relatively close to the same dollar figure.

E

Rob Eades
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Eades »

Nuf said,I'm really showing my lack of power boat experience!

maxgsx
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by maxgsx »

I would agree.

I would happily swap a tiller steer motor between boats of maybe up to 20 horse but not often.

I used to swap an old yammy 28 between a 30ft river cruiser and a 13ft Delquay but that was made easy by the cruiser having strong davits to hold a tender. The cruiser had telescopic cable steering and the dory had the old fashioned push-pull wires on pulleys.

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

Dont sweat a lack of experience. Its all a learning curve, and this forum allows us to air out our ideas without spending the money to find out if they work.

When are you going to start building your LB22? I highly reccomend getting crackin on it. Would love to see all 3 getting finished this year

E

Russ5924
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Russ5924 »

It's not just the weight of the motor, it's swapping out all the controls and wiring 8O.
D-5 Done and FL12 Done. GF14 80% done

macfiveo
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by macfiveo »

Of course, if you make the swap often enough you will

1) minimize corrosion at all the connecting points and bolts,

2) vastly increase you knowledge of boats and boat propulsion,

3) probably expand your vocabulary to nearly Navy-grade. 8O

5-0
Ron Heffield
DX15 Fir Elise
OB15 (in progress)

Boomer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Boomer »

Gee, I guess I'm the contrarian, but I don't see it as that big a deal.

You get an engine hoist from the local discount aout supply store, the right lifting eye, and its not that big a deal.
A hoist would be nice, but keep in mind the clearance you will need from the skeg of the motor to the top of the gunnels while the boat is also on the trailer. I

I'm not sure that I understand this statement. You only need to raise the motor enough for the inner clamps to clear the transom--maybe 4 inches.
Each changeover would include disconnecting the electrical system, the controls, the fuel system, and steering system.
Unless its some bizarre off brand motor, that's no big deal. On my OMC's I routinely do that in less than 5 minutes.

Used controls are cheap on Ebay.

If I wanted another boat, I certainly wouldn't let having to swap a motor being the limiting factor. I'm guessing that with enough room to move the boats around, it could be done in 30 minutes or less.

AdamG
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AdamG »

You could do it, if you had 2 complete sets of remotes and electrical wiring, and fuel runs that adapted to both outboards, but it would be a big headache, and a lot of wear and tear on the transoms, most likely.
Adam G
GF-12 May 2004
OB-15 July 2006

Boomer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Boomer »

and fuel runs that adapted to both outboards,
There is only one outboard, two boats.

The wear and tear on the transom would be minimal. People take motors on and off every time the go out with car toppers and small boats, and their transoms don't fall off.