Mini Maia, Evan?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Mini Maia, Evan?

Post by chicagoross »

I'm still thinking about the 21-22' trailerable economical cruiser, which is missing from the Bateau lineup. Would there be any bouyancy, displacement, or stability problems with a shrunken Maia? It occurs to me that at 95% (22'5" length, 8'1"beam) or 90% (21'3" length, 7'10" beam) that the Maia becomes pretty trailerable. Unlike most designs, since everything on Maia seems to be oversize, you still have 6'+ bunks, 6'+ pilothouse headroom, 4' + cabin headroom, 6'+ pilothouse, etc even at a 10% reduction is scale. Every compartment dimension on this boat is so big it almost seems like these plans were a scale-up from a smaller boat to begin with. I'm kind of thinking that the biggest problems would be inefficient nesting and over-built and overly complicated construction for the size you end up with.

Daddy
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Daddy »

Having just scaled down the GT 23 by 6% I can tell you that the main problem is attention to every detail. Get the plans in metric, make up a spread sheet and enter every dimension, transcribe the results to the plans with a pencil line through the original dimensions and check each one before you cut anything. The nesting is not so much of a problem because you actually end up with lots of good usable pieces and can save some $. Otherwise, a piece of cake. Remember, every dimension must be scaled down.
Daddy

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

Ross, scaling a cruising design can be VERY complex in its changes. Especially when you start adding systems. Keep in mind that scaling makes changes in ways you might not intend.

changing the length/width by a single factor will then change the surface area of the boat by the square of that factor (x^2), and will change the volume of the boat by the cube of the factor (x^3).

This means considerable differences in the volume, which limits your carrying capacity as compared to the original boat.

Go get Dave Gerr's Nature of boats, itll help make sense of scaling changes.

E

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

That's what I was afraid of, Spokaloo. I was thinking weight would be roughly .9X.9, but carrying capacity (bouyancy, displacement) is .9x.9x.9. Bad idea anyway, when I look at the building pics of Maia, it is a huge project. Shrunk just a bit and it's still a huge project - basket mold and all. Oh well. I'll just wait for the S&G version of JogAlong. :)

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

What is the exact size and program you are looking for?
Other displacement hulls are on the list of projects but I like to hear what builders want.

Right now, it looks like the Abaco23 is going to come out fast, followed very quickly by the FL26 and then the Panga 28. All the models are 99% done with some of the CAD work at 80 % for AB23, 50% for the FL26.
My design work is complete for those.
The TW34 is quite advanced too.

I hesitate about which one will be next. Probably a small inboard in the style of the P21 but 23' inboard. Or a power cat 22'? Or the 33' motorsailer? Or your project?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

jacquesmm wrote:Probably a small inboard in the style of the P21 but 23' inboard.
Even though I haven't finished my present boat, that idea sure grabs my attention! The MT24 has always been on my wish-list, and maybe something a bit smaller would be on my "build list".

gk108

Post by gk108 »

The Jog Along has some good looks, but I don't think is is a good comparison to a shortened Maia. The main reason for this is the motor in a well. What you end up with is the equivalant of a 19 or 20 ft. boat as far as interior space goes. At that point an HMD18 becomes a practical consideration. I don't know why, but the Maia hull looks like one that just wouldn't give desirable results if you mess with it very much. :doh:
CC, D15, V10

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

I don't have any plans to design a smaller displacement boat between the Maia 24 and HMD18 right now sorry.

I am still pondering a 24' sailing cat (but haven't really got started on it).
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

How about a tug boat, Evan? None in the lineup right now and you know what they are supposed to look like. :)

Daniel Huckleberry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Daniel Huckleberry »

I would do a tug boat, too. Keep it salty.

Huck