FS17 sole level problem

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
JimMac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JimMac »

Jacques _ Thank you for the time you put into trying to figure out my problem. I would be very interested in having access to the spreadsheet.
A couple of questions to clarify.
1. I assume the LCB ( longitudinal center of Bouyancy) is the same as the LCG (Longitudnal center of Gravity)?
2. The design LCB is 3,378 M or 11’ 1â€

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

JimMac wrote:Jacques _ Thank you for the time you put into trying to figure out my problem. I would be very interested in having access to the spreadsheet.
A couple of questions to clarify.
1. I assume the LCB ( longitudinal center of Bouyancy) is the same as the LCG (Longitudnal center of Gravity)?
Yes, that's how it balances. The boat will trim until the LCG is lined up the LCB.

2. The design LCB is 3,378 M or 11’ 1â€
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

I have not said to much on this subject till now just a few words at the beginning to try to make sure we were on the same wave length.

Now for my .02 on the FS17 which will be worth .00 by the time you read this. :D

The FS17 is a narrow waterline boat that does not compare to the seakeeping abilities of the other 17' boats that Jacque has designed. I would not build the FS17 it is just to sensitive to weights, I have bought 5 plans and never the FS17. For example the C17 with the upper panel removed has the same freeboard as the FS17 yet can handle more sea state. Both have about a 45 or so entry at the cutwater. The C17 is wider and more stable do to its width and can handle moving wights around better. The same is true with the OB17.

Hey if you want a basic boat with tiller steering go with the FS17 if not the added cost of making the FS17 into a console with gunwales go with the C17 center console without the upper panel or for an added cost the upper panel, depending on your fishing style.

For you guys building the FS17 now enjoy your boats just try to keep your fuel in the center section and enjoy your boats. As Jacque says there is no design flaw they are just sensitive to weight placement. :)

Again this is my Humble Opinion

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Tom, I completely agree with you except that I would not have used the words "seakeeping abilities".
The FS17 is a seaworthy boat but as you point out very well, she is a much smaller boat than the C17. Because of that, the C17 is a more capable boat and for that same reason, the FS17 is more sensitive to weight distribution.
It's just the nature of the boat.
The design was started because people wanted a Simmons Sea Skiff for stitch and glue. That is what she is. A good and capable boat but a smaller boat than the C17.
She also cost less, require less labor to build.
All together, a valid choice as long as we accept the compromises that come with that program.

colonialc19
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by colonialc19 »

Thanks for everybody's input, strengthened my decision to go tiller with a 25hp and keep it simple, I'll probally save the wide gunwales for my C19 or C21, either way the FS17 will do what I intended, taking the kids out for some croaker, spot, flounder, trout ect. a inshore fishing boat :D

Daniel

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Jacque when I said seakeeping=seaworthy I meant the ability to handle chop and heavy waves,

Totally agree and hope the builders understand that moving weights are detrimental to there benefit.

Tom
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

colonialc19 wrote:. . . either way the FS17 will do what I intended, taking the kids out for some croaker, spot, flounder, trout ect. a inshore fishing boat :D

Daniel
Don't misunderstand, she can go offshore. The FS17 has the same hull than the Simmons Sea Skiff and can do everything that boat can, even more thanks to the self bailing cockpit.
Tom and I were just having some small talk about the meaning of some words but we agree.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Yes totally, she is fully very capable as designed and builders should not be leary of building her but recognize that she has her quirks and deal with them as they make plans to build her. Listen to the Designer! I do love her looks. :D

Tom
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

jgroves
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jgroves »

Dang, should I wear a lifejacket when I splash my FS17? I'm looking forward to getting my boat in the water :doh:

SaltyD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SaltyD »

This issue of high and dry scuppers when a boat is at rest reminds me of a funny story of my late friend Danny. He was doing some guiding on the west coast near here some years back. Day one or so he came down to the dock after a heavy rain.

Anyways he has a look at about a 17 foot skiff sitting nose down with about 6" of water in it. He figured he'd make himself usefull and bail it out before he headed out in the boat he was running. He looks around and finds a plastic grain shovel (they are used lots around here and make fast work of bailing). He steps into the stern of the skiff with his gumboots on and the water runs back toward him and drains out of the scuppers in the stern and the boat spewed the water in like 10 seconds. :lol: He says he felt a little silly there with customers looking at him with the grain shovel in hand....

Turns out Danny didn't realise the boat had scuppers. And someone had left a couple of crab traps in the bow.

I think if I was in this position, with tanks already installed too far foward I'd first consider just filling a 5 gallon bucket with water and leaving it at the stern when its on its mooring....