FS17 sole level problem

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
JimMac
Active Poster
Active Poster

FS17 sole level problem

Post by JimMac »

I keep the boat on the dock and after our first good rain I found that all of the water had accumulated forward and back to midship. Moving 9 gal of gas from the forward compartment all the way aft got it draining and the scuppers were still above the water line. This is with a heavy 4 stroke 40 on the transom. If it had been a light 2 stroke 25 the bow down would have been even more.
Is this a building error? I don’t think so. Even if the strong back had not been level the stringers define the sole level relative to the wetted surface. It seems like she needs a little more volume up in the bow.
I don’t like the solution of moving the gas tanks aft since standard 6 gal tanks don’t fit in the rear compartments.
Maybe building a false deck 1inch high starting at the forward bulkhead (Frame A) and tapering to 0 at midships would do it.
Any other suggestions?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

How does the boat float? Is it on the waterline? If yes, then the sole is wrong. If not it is a question of weights.
The waterline is calculated for 2 men in the middle, a 25 or 40 HP (can't remember but I will check), gas in the middle, 1 battery in the stern.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I checked your pictures and the boat looks like it floats where it should be, maybe a little down by the bow but not much.
You have 2 tanks forward, is there anything else heavy there?

jay burgess
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

water forward

Post by jay burgess »

Hi Jim dont like to hear that about the water forward but i must admit I have been looking at mine and wondering the same thing , I put a 12 gallon gas tank between frame a and the bow I plan to put a 40 on mine as well Ive got about a month before splash down it would suck to have to put a false deck as you mentioned. Im just trailering so I guess I would live withit good luck nice looking boat

jay burgess capecod ma

fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan »

First, great job on the boat. It looks great.

Didn't I read that you added a bit to the forward sheer of the boat? That would add a little bit of weight forward. Maybe just enough to bring the bow down a hair at rest???

JimMac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JimMac »

Jacques- She seems to be on the water line but until I pull it I can't tell exactly where the forward (bow area) line is relative to the water. It does seem to extend further forward than I had projected the waterline. Tomorrow I will try to measure the distance from the most forward water mark to a line parrall to the stem.

JimMac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JimMac »

As far a weight forward the only things are the casting deck which extends 13 inches aft of frame A, 3/8 ply with 6 oz dynel fabric. Also a 8 LB danforth anchor with 6 ft chain and 150 ft. 3/8 line. Plus of course 2 -6 gal gas tanks under and aft of Frame A.

The 8 inch addition to the shear, tapering to 0 in 6 ft can't weigh more than 10 lbs.

Best solution I have heard so far is to always keep a 98QT cooler in the back filled with beer.

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

JimMac wrote:Best solution I have heard so far is to always keep a 98QT cooler in the back filled with beer.
Will you run out of gas before you run out of beer?
Do you think moving the battery from the console to an aft location would take care of it?
CC, D15, V10

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, no need to think about a modification to the sole, just move a battery towards the back and that's it.
In this case, there is some extra weight with the modified bow, not much, maybe 10 lbs, However, the heavy engine should compensate for that.
It's the two tanks and the forward casting deck that could be the culprit: nice hatch and maybe more stuff we don't see.
Is the console where we show it? At 45% of the DWL from the transom?
I can't say why that happens until I have a list of weights but it is clear that you have too much weight forward.
There is nothing weird about the hull design, it has a proper balance of volumes.
For those who are building the boat, the LCG (Longitudinal Center of Gravity) should be at 68" forward of the lower tip of the transom. Move your weights accordingly.

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

Consider getting a different tank size as well, as Im sure Moeller and the others make tanks that will fit in some pretty random places.

Do you have a livewell in the boat? Fixed or loose? If you must keep the gas in the bow, you might be able to just ballast with the livewell in the back.

Another little cheat, if all you are doing is trying to keep rainwater draining, is to just take one of your gas cans out of the bow when you leave. Consider it your "fill-up" can and take it with you, thus dropping the bow weight while on the dock.

Love that little boat, just have to figure out the nuances of building it for my needs and talking SWMBO into another big project.

E