Fs17- Extended Sheer

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Bluefish2
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Fs17- Extended Sheer

Post by Bluefish2 »

I am extending the sheerline by 3"  on my FS17 and have a question. On drawing D284/4 it shows 241/4" from bottom of Vee to the top outside corner. If I am extending the sheer by 3". Should the 241/4" be increased to 271/4" ? I would like the top of the transom to be pretty close to the outer sheerline. I will maintain all other dimensions.
Thanks,BF2

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Bluefish this is where it gets into common sense. if you raise the sheer you need to raise everything else that is effected by that raise. That means the transom, the bow panel. the frames, etc.

If I can be of any other help I'll be glad to as I have modified and changed boats several times over the last 20 years and am getting ready to do so to the C17.

Tom

Bluefish2
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Fs17- Extended Sheer

Post by Bluefish2 »

Tom,
I understand the common sense part but this is still a first for me. There are at least a couple of other extended sheer FS17s out there. I am try ing not to miss anything as I proceed is all.
The intended layout is as open as possible. No casting platform, smallest console possible, and widest gunnels feasibly possible (10"). Also some means to hoist lobster traps.
I am always looking for suggestions.
BF2

B.Lee
New Poster
New Poster

Post by B.Lee »

If the dimension you are looking at is a diagonal, then no, adding 3" won't work. It would likely be a little more than 3", but without knowing the other dimensions I can't figure it out for you.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

BF the hardest one is the transom since it is on an angle. If you make it slightly less than 3 1/8"(this is not a guess I drew it out) taller the rest will fall into place. To be honest I would not worry about less than an 1/8". Raise the Bow form 3" and then raise all the frames 3".

Hope this helps.

Like your idea of the wide gunnels and lobster pots. An electric winch would be a nice addition if your running a bunch of them.

Lived in Lynnfield on Archer Lane for a while. Spent a lot of time on the coast.

Tom

jay burgess
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

fs17 mods

Post by jay burgess »

Hey blue fish I added 6 inches to my sheer on the fs17 and have 10 inch wide gunnels. I used 3/8 ply for the guns and have it meet the transom at which point the guns are wide enough to hold a lobster pot with bug wells under them. I have no consol, wide open with tiller controled 40. My gas tank is up in the bow under a small deck and is 12 gallons.

Bluefish2
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Gunnels

Post by Bluefish2 »

Jay,
Do you have pictures of your boat in the Gallery? How has the raised sheer worked out? I am not a hundred percent committed to a specific sheer height yet so there is still time to raise, lower or remain neutral.
Have you posted performance numbers? and do you like how she handles in a chop? Usual questions.
BBD

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Jay, I'd love to see a picture or two and hear you impressions as well. I have a brand new Mercury 40hp 2 stroke waiting for my next build in the Philippines, and a manual tiller high shear FS17 is at the top of the list!

Bluefish2
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Gunnels

Post by Bluefish2 »

Jay,
Do you have pictures of your boat in the Gallery? How has the raised sheer worked out? I am not a hundred percent committed to a specific sheer height yet so there is still time to raise, lower or remain neutral.
Have you posted performance numbers? and do you like how she handles in a chop? Usual questions.
BBD

remedy32
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by remedy32 »

Hi,
Don't know if you have seen the extensive photo collection done by steve292 who's building in the UK. He's been building the raised sheer version for some time. Looks like he's just about ready to float when spring arrives. He's documented the entire process pretty well. Take a look.

Searching for "steve292 / steve's FS17" in the galleries is how I've managed to find it among the 80 pages of FS17 photos.

Good luck,

Bill in CT