Abaco 23

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Abaco 23

Post by Cracker Larry »

Very nice 8) Looks great so far. I'm really glad to see one of these started. Thanks for the pic help George.

Dean, did you cut those molds? Looks like CNC work from here.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

I'm happy to help with the pics, I've been wanting to see one built too :D
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Dean Robinson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dean Robinson »

I am making progress. The hull is glassed , and today we start fairing. Not the best part of the build! The moulds on the pictures were cut by hand - very carefully. I cut them on a large band saw , and finished the edges with a sanding block by hand to make sure they were 100%. I will post some pictures in a couple of hours.

Thank you for the advise on the paint & primer quantities , I will put the order in today.

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish »

Dean Robinson wrote:... The moulds on the pictures were cut by hand - very carefully. I cut them on a large band saw , and finished the edges with a sanding block by hand to make sure they were 100%...
Looks like it is paying off in aces. :wink:

ThistleDewDayDreamin
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by ThistleDewDayDreamin »

Fantastic! This will be the boat I build as soon as the $$ allow, Like CL, have the plans and have worn them thin reading and studying. It's great to see photos of one being built. Great work on the molds,.. looks like the attention to them is going to save you a lot of time and work. Keep the photos coming, you will have a lot of fans watching this build for sure. 8)
My bride, my health, warm winds, Buffet tunes, my friends, good food, great spirits,... and the water. All I'll ever need :)

zobop
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by zobop »

Hi Dean. Very nice work so far. I have been studying my plan and it seems like the station diagrams are missing some dimensions. Since your stations are so nicely cut, I assume you have not seen this issue in your set of plan? Keep up the good work.

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

that thing is big...

amazing how it goes together... sits right on the molds nicely.. everyone will be watching this one. :D

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

zobop wrote:Hi Dean. Very nice work so far. I have been studying my plan and it seems like the station diagrams are missing some dimensions. Since your stations are so nicely cut, I assume you have not seen this issue in your set of plan? Keep up the good work.
All the plans are the same, no change since they came out but if something is missing, post here.
You will probably find the dimension, things fall in place when you start building.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

zobop
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by zobop »

jacquesmm wrote:
zobop wrote:Hi Dean. Very nice work so far. I have been studying my plan and it seems like the station diagrams are missing some dimensions. Since your stations are so nicely cut, I assume you have not seen this issue in your set of plan? Keep up the good work.
All the plans are the same, no change since they came out but if something is missing, post here.
You will probably find the dimension, things fall in place when you start building.
Jacques:

You are correct. I did not realise that there are two pages for each stations. I figured it out last night :doh:

Dean Robinson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dean Robinson »

Thank you for all the positive comments. I have been away for the last few weeks attending a course to get my captains license. That's all done , and is a legal requirement for anyone taking a boat out to sea - regardless of size - in South Africa. On with the build. The skeg and strakes where epoxied in place before I left. The fairing is also 90% completed. I am waiting on a friend from Chicago to confirm if the paints can be sent to South Africa by UPS. If so , I will be ready to paint by the end of next week.