Abaco 23

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Dean Robinson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Abaco 23

Post by Dean Robinson »

I have recently started building an Abaco 23 in South Africa , and I have several questions. Fishing on our coastline is quite different from fishing in the USA , as many of the good fishing areas require that the boat be launched off a beach through the surf and not from a ramp in a marina. The boat then has to be brought back through the surf and driven up the beach , where it is loaded on to a trailer. This will place additional stress on the hull , and the bow eye needs to be reinforced as the boat is first pulled up the beach with a winch and then loaded. Please advise on how best to reinforce the bow and bow eye to accommodate this. Secondly , our laws require two outboard motors for boats fishing more than one nautical mile offshore. On the plans , the dimensions given are for a single engine. When the boats are launched from the surf , the crew needs to be able to get into the boat from behind as they will be holding the boat facing into the surf. The best way to do this is normally between the two motors. Is it possible to mount the two engines far enough apart to do this? I plan on using Evinrude outboards , and this brings me to the next question. What would you suggest I use , 2x 115 hp , 2x 130 hp or 2x 150 hp? Please bear in mind that the boat needs to be able to make it out through the surf and back again on one motor , should one motor fail. The 115 hp and 130 hp are very similar in weight , but the 150 is heavier. I do like the ICON controls and gauges that can be used with the 150 hp and larger motors but the weight is a concern. The last question I have is regarding a trailer. You do not seem to have any plans available for building one. Where could I purchase trailer plans? Thanks!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Abaco 23

Post by jacquesmm »

Dean Robinson wrote:. . . and the bow eye needs to be reinforced
Double glass at the bow inside.
Large backing plates like 3 layers of plywood 10mm, offset edges.
Cover with about 4 layers 12 oz. biax.
U bolt on wide SS or Al backing plate.

I tested that system on 23' boats being towed in the ocean, from Florida to the Bahamas.
It works.

Secondly , our laws require two outboard motors for boats fishing more than one nautical mile offshore. On the plans , the dimensions given are for a single engine. When the boats are launched from the surf , the crew needs to be able to get into the boat from behind as they will be holding the boat facing into the surf. The best way to do this is normally between the two motors. Is it possible to mount the two engines far enough apart to do this?
On Monday, email orders@e-boat.net and ask for a twin engine drawing. I will take it from another boat and create a PDF.
That will be a starting point.
How wide is up to you but keep in mind that the further you go out, the higher the clamping board has to be. We want the cavitation plates to be flush with the bottom.
Don't go too far apart, you wnat the props to have some "bite".
See what others have done in your area, what they think about the compromise between width and access.

I plan on using Evinrude outboards , and this brings me to the next question. What would you suggest I use , 2x 115 hp , 2x 130 hp or 2x 150 hp? Please bear in mind that the boat needs to be able to make it out through the surf and back again on one motor , should one motor fail. The 115 hp and 130 hp are very similar in weight , but the 150 is heavier. I do like the ICON controls and gauges that can be used with the 150 hp and larger motors but the weight is a concern.
That's up to you but the boat is relatively light and doesn't need much HP. It can go through the surf with one 115.

The last question I have is regarding a trailer. You do not seem to have any plans available for building one. Where could I purchase trailer plans? Thanks!
No trailer plans, sorry.
Here in the US, the cost of the parts needed to build a trailer is about twice what a new trailer cost and for that reason, nobody builds a trailer.
Trailers are standard, any trailer for a boat that size can have it's bunks or rollers adjusted to fit the AB23.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

fishin'
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by fishin' »

First of all in response to your other posting and question. The designer will see your question here and should answer eventually, just give hime some time. You could always try emailing the site also if you don't get an answer.
In regards to your other questions I have some of my best guesses to offer but do not have any definitive answers to offer. First you can use dual engines and I would imagine any of the hp you mentioned would be enough to get the boat back in an emergency. From reading the study plans I would guess that the engines below 150 might have trouble planing the boat though since the designer does not recommend anything below that size. The boat should plane at a lower speed than conventional designs though due to the warped bottom so I could be wrong about that. Most people on here will also tell you that the majority of engine problems caused while in the boat are from contaminated gasoline so they will recommend carrying a portable tank with you to prevent that problem. As far as boarding the boat I would guess there would not be too much extra between the engines, why don't you just get a ladder attached on the transom to the side of the engines and board there. As for weight, I don't know what to tell you. A single 300 is 528lbs twin 115's would be 750 and twin 150's would be 836. On other plans the designer has requested that the weight of twins not exceed 800lbs. Good Luck.

Jacques responded while I was writing so disregard anything that I said that does not agree with his thoughts.

Dean Robinson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dean Robinson »

Thanks for the info , I will build accordingly. I have started setting up the moulds , and all the panels are cut and ready to be fitted. I may just set up the transom on the strong back tomorrow so that I can tape the panels over the weekend. The cut out for the motors can be done once I have the dimensions and before I glass the hull. The clamping boards will then have to be installed after I turn the hull.

Has anyone else built an Abaco 23 yet , and if so , could they email me some pictures.

Thanks for the assistance , much appreciated.

Doc_Dyer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Doc_Dyer »

I think you are the first.

Pictures please of your progress?
. sanded on a canoe, bought a used boat, stayed at a holiday inn last night

Dean Robinson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dean Robinson »

Attached are some pictures of the Abaco 23 build.

/Users/ashleighrobinson/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Dean's Boat/IMG_1657.JPG/Users/ashleighrobinson/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Dean's Boat/IMG_1660.JPG/Users/ashleighrobinson/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2009/Dean's Boat/IMG_1672.JPG/Users/ashleighrobinson/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2009/Dean's Boat/IMG_1673.JPG/Users/ashleighrobinson/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Dean's Boat/IMG_1687.JPG/Users/ashleighrobinson/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2009/Dean's Boat/IMG_1694.JPG/Users/ashleighrobinson/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2009/Dean's Boat/IMG_1745.JPG/Users/ashleighrobinson/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2009/Dean's Boat/IMG_1746.JPG/Users/ashleighrobinson/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Dean's Boat/IMG_1747.JPG/Users/ashleighrobinson/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Dean's Boat/IMG_1749.JPG/Users/ashleighrobinson/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Dean's Boat/IMG_1753.JPG/Users/ashleighrobinson/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Dean's Boat/IMG_1760.JPG/Users/ashleighrobinson/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Dean's Boat/IMG_1762.JPG/Users/ashleighrobinson/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Dean's Boat/IMG_1766.JPG/Users/ashleighrobinson/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Dean's Boat/Users/ashleighrobinson/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Dean's Boat/IMG/Users/ashleighrobinson/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2009/31 Dec 2009/IMG_1777.JPG_1769.JPG/IMG_1767.JPG

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Hmm, not able to pull up any of those photos. If you need help posting you can e-mail me the photos and I'll get them posted on here for you.

George
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Dean Robinson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dean Robinson »

Thanks George , let me have your email address and I will send them to you.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

elosboats at gmail.com
Last edited by gstanfield on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

zobop
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by zobop »

Hi Dean

You are not alone on the AB23. I just got my plan and I want to start as soon as the plan makes 100% sense to me :D I too would like to see some Pics :!: